Feedreader with synchronization support is now available. Who's interested can download EXE (Download EXE!), test it out and give us feedback. Some notes about functionality and usage:
- Synchronization is available from "Tools > Synchronize!"
- First you have to set up backend for your synchronization data.
- At the moment there are two supported synchronization backends:
- FTP server. Then inputing server configuration you do not need to fill in the PATH setting. Leave it blank if you want synchronization file reside in your home directory.
- Local directory. Local file can reside in internal hard disk, USB flash memory or in workgroup server (in this case input path as \\server\path\).
- If you press "Synchronize!" then at first existing file is downloaded from server (or local disk) and processed. After this new state will be saved to synchronization file and sent back to server. If you are synchronizing first time then no existing file is found and only synchronization state from database is sent to server. Next time everything will work ok.
- At the moment three things are synchronized:
- Read status of article
- Starred / Flagged status of article
- If article is deleted or not
- In the future we will also synchronize "tags".
- You can specify how many days worth of synchronization data you'd like to exchange with other Feedreader. If you are doing synchronization every day (home - office) then you can limit synchronization to two days and get smaller files and faster synchronization.
- When implementing synchronization we had to change internal database structure. This means that if you now want to synchronize all old data then it's not possible. Feedreader will start collecting your changes to article states from new version. So if you install new version and then make some articles read , they will be synchronized with other Feedreader. But if you made some articles read yesterday then they will not be included in synchronization.
Please give us feedback about your tests. We really appreciate it. It's quite hard to develop something without knowing if it's ok to our users.
Now you may also ask, why no feed synchronization and filter syncrhronization. We will in some day implement them, too.