Read current affairs online with GK Eduwrap. It covers the last week current affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you prepare confidently for the general awareness for bank exams.
Click here to Download GK Eduwrap Weekly (14th November to 19th November 2016) in PDF Format
National – Across the India:
1. The 36th edition of India International Trade Fair (IITF) has started at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
It will be held from 14th to 27th November 2016.
The theme of 2016 IITF is Digital India.
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the International Conference and Exhibition on Sugarcane Value Chain – Vision 2025 Sugar in Pune, Maharashtra.
The 3 days (from 13th – 16th November) conference has been organized by Vasantdada Sugar Institute (VSI) at Manjari near Pune.
Around 1,500 delegates participated in this conference from across the globe.
Download Here !! Daily, Weekly and Monthly Current Affairs !!
3. Israel President Reuven Rivlin arrived in Mumbai on November 14th on a six-day visit to India to further strengthen bilateral ties.
He met Prime Minister Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and joined President Pranab Mukherjee in opening an aggrotech conference in Chandigarh.
4. Employees State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) launched medical facilities for its beneficiaries of Delhi. ‘Kahin Bhi-Kabhi Bhi’.
Kahin Bhi means any dispensary/Hospital and Kabhi Bhi means anytime.
5. The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) for the first time has deployed a team of women commandos in anti-Naxal operations in Jharkhand.
The 135 women commandos belonging to the 232 battalion’s Delta Company have started carrying out anti-Naxal operations.
The government has announced that it will present the Union Budget for 2017-18 on 1st February.
The budget session may begin in January.
6. The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), launched a revamped version of its Toll-free helpline number: 1947, to help residents get quick access to information about Aadhaar.
The free of cost helpline 1947 will be available 24×7 throughout the year on IVRS mode, while Call-Centre agents will be available from 7 am to 11 pm (Monday to Saturday).
7. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar launched “Har Ghar Bijli Lagataar” programme.
This is to provide free electricity connection to about 50 lakh households above the poverty line.
8. India has been ranked 20th on Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) 2017.
The publication was issued by Germanwatch and Climate Action Network Europe.
9. Chhattisgarh became the first state to adopt a resolution welcoming the demonetization of high-value currency notes.
The resolution on 16 November 2016 saw 41 votes in favour and 25 against in assembly.
10. Aligarh leads 500 cities in undertaking Swachh awareness generation activities under the fortnightly thematic activities as required under the Swachh Survekshan-2017.
The other cities in the top 10 in this regard are: Vasai-Virar (Maharashtra), Hyderabad, Gurugram, Chandigarh, Madurai (Tamil Nadu), Vadodara and Rajkot (Gujarat), Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh) and Mysuru (Karnataka).
11. The world’s first Genetic Garden of Halophytes (naturally occurring salt-tolerant plants) was inaugurated at the coastal town of Vedaranyam in Tamil Nadu.
It will have over 1,600 species belonging to 550 genera and 117 families of Halophytes plants.
12. Jammu and Kashmir Government launched Jhelum-Tawi flood recovery project.
It will give a push to the reconstruction and rehabilitation of infrastructure post-2014 floods in the state.
13. The Qaumi Ekta Week is being observed all over the country. (From 19th to 25th November 2016).
It will reinforce the spirit of Communal Harmony, National Integration, and pride in vibrant, composite culture and nationhood.
November 19: National Integration Day
November 20: Welfare of Minorities Day
November 21: Linguistic Harmony Day
November 22: Weaker Sections Day
November 23: Cultural Unity Day
November 24: Women’s Day
November 25: Conservation Day
CSIR NET Exam December 2016 – Know the Complete Details !!
International – Across the Globe:
1. The India-China Joint Training Exercise “Hand in Hand 2016″ is being held in Pune (from 15th – 27th November).
It will be the 6th annual joint training exercise between the Indian Army and the People’s Liberation Army of China.
2. India will preside the eighth edition of the Conference of Parties (COP) to WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC).
It will be held in Switzerland’s Geneva in 2018.
3. The Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Forum’s Week started at Lima in Peru bringing together leaders of world’s largest economies, businessmen and investors.
A creation of Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific, which would include all APEC states, is one of the main topics on the agenda of the 2016 APEC Summit.
4. Australia to introduce the Hindi language in Pre-Schools from 2018.
In order to teach foreign languages in Australia a program named Early Learning Languages Australia (ELLA), was launched in the 2015-16, with five languages.
Hindi will be started in 2018.
5. Maharashtra became the first state in the country to adopt the Fly Ash Utilization Policy.
The policy will make a way for prosperity by generating wealth from waste and environment protection.
6. Russia has been officially withdrawn from International Criminal Court (ICC) after President Vladimir Putin signed an executive order in this regard.
The executive order mentioned that Russia is pulling out of the 2002 Rome Statute, which establishes the ICC’s status and powers.
7. Pakistan conducted Raad ul Barq (Strike of Thunder) military exercise in a strategically located area in Punjab province, bordering India.
It was the comprehensive joint exercise carried out jointly by Pakistan Army and Air Force to reflect the preparedness of our armed forces to respond to any threat to its national security.
8. Oxford Dictionaries declared “post-truth” to be its international word of the year citing a 2,000% spike in its usage.
The word beat competition from “adulting,” “alt-right,” “Brexiteer,” “glass cliff” and “woke”.
9. Pakistan’s Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif inaugurated a trade route linking the south-western Gwadar port to Kashgar city in China as part of $46 billion project to jumpstart economic growth in the South Asian country.
10. India is not inclined to automatically grant the coveted ‘Market Economy Status’ (MES) to China under World Trade Organization (WTO) norms in December 2016.
The main reason India is reluctant to grant MES to China is that it will severely curb India’s ability to impose anti-dumping duties on “unfairly priced” Chinese imports.
11. The International Conference on Brucellosis 2016 and the 69th meeting of the International Society on Brucellosis inaugurated in New Delhi.
The three-day conference has been organized by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) in collaboration with Indian Council for Agriculture Research (ICAR).
1. Aditi Ashok capped a brilliant show to clinch the Indian Open Golf title.
By this, she became the first woman from the country to claim a European Tour event.
2. Australia is going to host the 2018 Invictus Games for wounded military personnel.
More than 500 serving and former personnel from 17 nations will compete in the multi-sports competition in Sydney.
3. Lewis Hamilton has won Brazilian Grand Prix.
It was the ninth win for Hamilton this season.
Nico Rosberg finished second in the race.
4. International Master Padmini Rout has won the 2016 National Women Premier Chess Championship.
She has scored a hat-trick in the National Women Premier Chess Championship.
Earlier she had won the championship in 2014 and 2015.
5. Indian golfer S.S.P Chawrasia clinched the $1 million Resorts World Manila Masters in the Philippines.
It was his first ever Asian Tour title outside India.
He beat Malaysian Nicolas Fung and American Sam Chen on the final day of the tournament.
6. Debbie Hockley has been elected as president of New Zealand Cricket.
She is the first woman to hold that role in the 122-year history of the sport’s national governing body.
Registered Through Online Application For CSIR NET Dec 2016? – Check Your Status Now !!
Awards & Recognition:
1. An 11-year-old Pune girl Anvita Prashant Telang has been named the national winner of the “Doodle 4 Google” contest.
The Doodle featured on the Google India homepage on 14th November to celebrate Children’s Day.
2. Mark Zuckerberg has been declared “business person of the year” by US international magazine Fortune.
According to Fortune, his corporate discipline makes him an effective business person.
Currently, he is the 5th wealthiest person in the world.
3. Imtiaz Sooliman, an Indian-origin man from South Africa, was awarded the Global Citizen Award for his “innovative and visionary” contribution to the global community.
He founded the internationally-lauded Gift of the Givers Foundation, which is Africa’s largest disaster relief organization.
4. Lyricist-writer Gulzar honoured with 2016 Tata Literature Live! Poet Laureate Award.
The award was presented to Gulzar, an Oscar and Grammy Award winner, at the inaugural of the festival on 17th November 2016.
5. Thiruvananthapuram has been termed as the country’s breast cancer capital, with cases at a record high of 40 per lakh of population.
9 lakh women are diagnosed with breast cancer every year.
6. Actor-turned-author Twinkle Khanna launched her second book titled ‘The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad’.
Twinkle’s first book was ‘Mrs. Funnybones: She’s Just Like You and a Lot Like Me’, which was published in 2015.
7. The Infosys Science Foundation (ISF) announced six winners of the Infosys Prize 2016 in the six different categories of the award. The Awardees are:
Engineering and Computer Science: – V. Kumaran
Humanities: – Sunil Amrith
Life Sciences: – Gagandeep Kang
Mathematical Sciences: – Akshay Venkatesh
Physical Sciences: – Anil Bhardwaj
Social Sciences: – Kaivan Munshi
8. Iran for the first time ever surpassed Saudi Arabia to become India’s top crude oil supplier.
It was revealed by ship tracking data and a report compiled by Thomson Reuters Oil Research and Forecasts.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. In order to counter the current cash crunch PostDemonetisation, Mumbai Metro said it will issue single and return journey token in real-time cashless transactions.
For this, Mumbai Metro One Pvt. Ltd (MMOPL) has tied up with Paytm.
Appointments & Resignations::
1. Narinder Batra became the first Indian to be elected the President of the International Hockey Federation.
He defeated David Balbirnie of Ireland and Australia’s Ken Read to become the 12th FIH President and also the first Asian to grab the post.
2. Mahindra and Mahindra appointed Pawan Goenka as Managing Director.
Anand Mahindra was re-designated as Executive Chairman.
Goenka joined Mahindra as General Manager, R&D in 1993.
He was elevated as executive director on the board in 2013
3. Private sector lender YES Bank appointed Amresh Acharya as Group President and Head of Global Indian Banking.
4. The Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov gave resignation of his cabinet after his party’s candidate, Tsetska Tsacheva failed to win the country’s presidential election on 14th November 2016.
5. Harish Bhatt has been appointed as the chairman of Tata Global Beverages.
Cyrus Mistry was removed as the Chairman of Tata Global Beverages by the Board on November 15, by voting for the post.
6. The Union government appointed Jagdish Singh Khehar, a judge of the Supreme Court, as the new Executive Chairman of the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA).
He succeeds Anil R. Dave who retired as Judge of Supreme Court after completing tenure of over six years.
Grab Every Important CSIR NET Notification – Don’t Miss a Single Opportunity !!
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) approved a three-year $12 billion loan program for Egypt.
The loan will help in boosting Egypt’s foreign currency inflows.
2. TAFE, the world’s third largest tractor maker, in collaboration with the Rajasthan government, is setting up a Centre of Excellence “JFarm Rajasthan” and a Custom Hiring Centre in six zones in Rajasthan at a total outlay of Rs.970 crore.
3. RBI formed a Special Task Force to speed up the process of recalibration of automated teller machines (ATM) to dispense the new denomination notes.
The Special Task Force will be headed by S Mundra, Deputy Governor, RBI.
Representatives from the Union Finance and Home Ministries, RBI, State Bank of India, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank and the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) will be its members.
4. Federal Bank, India’s major commercial bank in the private sector received Reserve Bank of India (RBI)’s permission to open its branch at the Dubai International Financial Centre.
It is the first international branch of the bank.
5. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) hiked the Minimum Support Price (MSP) of wheat and pulses to boost their output and check prices.
The MSP of wheat was hiked by 100 rupees per quintal for the 2016-17 rabi crop.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Union Cabinet approved constitution of ‘special committee for inter-linking of rivers’ in compliance with a 2012 Supreme Court order.
The constitution of the committee will help in monitoring precious projects to be carried out under its National Perspective Plan, 1980.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Bhutan’s Economic Affairs Minister Tengye Lyonpo Lekey Dorji signed an agreement on trade and commerce in New Delhi.
The first agreement was signed in 1972.
2. Over 20 countries, including India, Brazil and France signed the framework agreement of the International Solar Alliance (ISA).
The framework agreement of ISA was opened for signatures on the sidelines of CoP22 to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) at Marrakech, in Morocco.
3. The Union Government and Asian Development Bank (ADB) inked a $500-million loan agreement to build a 9.8 km long road bridge across the Ganga River in Bihar.
It will be country’s longest river bridge and shall provide better connectivity between North and South Bihar and also Patna and its surrounding areas.
4. India and Israel inked two agreements in the field of water resources management and agriculture.
5. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) signed three Bilateral Advance Pricing Agreements (APAs) with the Competent Authority of United Kingdom (UK) to reduce tax litigation. Benefits of the MoU are:
Boost to economy and ease of doing business.
Provide an alternative path to the investors with rollback provision to reduce litigation.
Strengthen Government’s mission of fostering a non-adversarial tax regime.
6. India and Cyprus inked a revised Agreement for Avoidance of Double Taxation and Prevention of Fiscal evasion (DTAA) with respect to taxes on income, along with its Protocol.
It will replace the existing DTAA that was signed by two countries in June 1994.
Be Prepared for CSIR NET Dec 2016 – Know the Accurate Study Plan Here !!
Science & Technology:
1. Researchers from Hyderabad isolated Helicobacter pullorum bacterium in chicken.
It might be the source of transmission of the multidrug resistance pathogen to humans.
This is the first evidence on prevalence and isolation of H. pullorum multidrug resistance bacterium from broilers and free-range chicken sold in Indian markets.
2. The Supermoon on 14th November 2016 was observed brightest after the moon was closest to the Earth at 356,509 km.
This is the first time moon came closest to Earth since 1948.
Last time, the moon came closer to earth on 26 January 1948.
Next time the supermoon will be observed on 25 November 2034.
3. According to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the year 2016 was the warmest year on record globally.
It was mentioned in the WMO’s preliminary assessment provided in its ‘Status of the Global Climate in 2016’
Global temperatures for January to September 2016 were 1.2°C above pre-industrial levels and 0.88°C above the average for the 1961-1990 reference period (baseline).
4. Rustom-II (TAPAS 201), India’s indigenously developed long-endurance combat-capable drone successfully completed its maiden flight.
The test flight took place from Aeronautical Test Range (ATR), Chitradurga (Karnataka).
5. First-ever brain implant was performed by doctors from Netherlands on a 58-year-old woman paralyzed by Lou Gehrig’s disease (also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis-ALS).
She became the first patient to use a brain-computer interface.
The implant has enabled paralyzed women to communicate in day-to-day life via a speech computer.
6. Scientists improved the photosynthesis process in the plants to produce faster-growing crops.
The breakthrough has increased the yield in the experimental crop by 15 per cent. This is seen as a critical step towards increasing crop production to feed a growing global population.
7. The Indian Navy formally inducted four types of indigenously developed sonars that will boost its underwater surveillance capability. These 4 types of sonars are:
1. World Diabetes day was observed on 14th November 2016 by International Diabetes Federation and WHO.
The theme for 2016 is Eyes on Diabetes.
It is celebrated in the memory of Frederick, founder of insulin.
1. Arthur Nayyar (A. Nayyar), the renowned ghazal and film singer passed away.
He started his career in 1974, sung hundreds of ghazals and songs for the films.
2. Mota Singh, an Indian-origin Sikh judge of UK, died. He was 86.
He was UK’s first-ever ethnic minority judge to sit on the English Bench wearing a turban instead of a horse-hair wig.
Mota Singh, a Ramgarhia Sikh, was born in 1930 in Nairobi, Kenya.
3. Former Jammu and Kashmir Governor Lt. Gen S K Sinha passed away after brief illness. He was 92.
Gen Sinha had joined the army in 1943 and has also served as India’s Ambassador to Nepal and as the Governor of Assam.
Download Here !! Daily, Weekly and Monthly Current Affairs !!
Important Abbreviations Used in this Article
World Meteorological Organization
Asian Development Bank
International Solar Alliance
Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs
International Monetary Fund
Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation
Conference of Parties
Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
Climate Change Performance Index
Employees State Insurance Corporation
Click here to Download GK Eduwrap Weekly (14th November to 19th November 2016) in PDF Format
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge. Share the article with your friends if you find it informative.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc. If you have any query, please post then in the comment box given below. We are always there for your assistance.
For more updates about General Awareness and Competitive Exams stay connected to our social media channels:
Image Courtesy: Google Images