Read Current Affairs of last month online, all summarized well into one digest GK Eduwrap. Also, covering all the latest questions of General Knowledge asked in General Awareness for Bank PO.
Click here to download GK Monthly Eduwrap for November 2016 in PDF Format
National – Across the India:
1. The first meeting of National Committee on Trade Facilitation (NCTF) was held in New Delhi.
It was held to discuss ways for developing roadmap for implementation of WTOs trade facilitation agreement.
2. Andhra Pradesh and Telangana have jointly topped the Ease of Doing Business Reforms Ranking 2015-16.
Top 10 states: Andhra Pradesh (Score 98.78%), Telangana (98.78%), Gujarat (98.21%), Chhattisgarh (97.32%), Madhya Pradesh (97.01%), Haryana (96.95%), Jharkhand (96.57%), Rajasthan (96.43%), Uttarakhand (96.13%) and Maharashtra (92.86).
Download Here !! Daily, Weekly and Monthly Current Affairs !!
3. Odisha government has launched Madhubabu Aain Sahayata Sibir’ (MASS) scheme.
It was to provide legal assistance to deprived sections of the society at the grassroots level.
4. Kerala has become the third Open Defecation Free state in the country after Sikkim and Himachal Pradesh under the Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) (Gramin).
The announcement in this regard was made by the Drinking Water and Sanitation Secretary Parameswaran Iyer in New Delhi on the occasion foundation day of Kerala (1 November).
5. India is invited by Russia for developing next-generation nuclear reactors and to participate in its fast-reactor research project.
With these types of reactors, it is possible to solve the major ecological problem of reprocessing and deactivation of accumulated radioactive waste, at same time provide much-needed energy.
6. Narendra Modi visited Raipur in Chhattisgarh for the inauguration of the Jungle Safari in the city.
7. The finance ministry has financed first installment of special assistance of INR 1,093.34 crore for Jammu and Kashmir.
This amount is financed to repair and permanent restoration of damaged public buildings in J&K.
8. Maharashtra has been ranked first state in the country in 2016 Agricultural Marketing and Farmer Friendly Reforms Index.
The first-ever index based on initiatives taken by the states in implementing farm sector reforms was issued by the NITI Aayog.
9. Maharashtra has become the first state in the country to have a cyber-police station in each district to take on cyber criminals.
In this regard, state government is converting 42 state-of-the-art cybercrime labs into cyber police stations simultaneously.
10. Minister of Railways, Shri Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu has inaugurated the International Conference on Decarbonization of Indian Railways – Mission Electrification in New Delhi on November 3, 2016.
It was organized by Institution of Railways Electrical Engineer (IREE) in partnership with ASSOCHAM India.
11. PM Narendra Modi has launched “Saur Sujala Yojana” in Chhattisgarh which will provide solar powered irrigation pumps to farmers.
It is mainly aimed to give priority to those areas where electricity has not reached, so that farmers can utilize them in irrigation and agriculture.
12. The International Forum on Adopting an ICT Perspective to Education and Learning recently started in New Delhi.
13. An Inter-Ministerial Committee of the Information and Broadcasting Ministry in the first week of November 2016 asked for one-day ban on a leading Hindi News Channel, NDTV India from 12.01 A.M. of 9 November to 12.01 A.M. of 10 November 2016.
The channel is facing the possibility of a complete blackout for 24 hours for revealing strategically-sensitive information during its coverage of the anti-terror operations at the Pathankot airbase in January 2016.
14. 11-day International Space Science School held in Sangli District in Western Maharashtra.
This school is part of a series of schools conducted jointly by the Canada-based Scientific Committee on Solar-Terrestrial Physics (SCOSTEP) and the International Space Weather Initiative (ISWI).
15. President Pranab Mukherjee approved the 2% hike in Dearness Allowance (DA) to central government employees.
This move could benefit 50.68 lakh employees and 54.24 lakh pensioners.
16. The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, will be hosting the Seventh Session of the Conference of Parties (COP7).
It will be held from 7 November to 12 November 2016, at India Exposition Mart, Greater Noida, District Gautam Buddha Nagar, and Uttar Pradesh.
17. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the 12th edition of International Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition “Petrotech-2016” in New Delhi on 5 December 2016.
The 2016 theme is “Hydrocarbons to fuel the future – Choices and Challenges”.
18. Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has launched a unique platform called ‘Startup Mentorship Circle’.
It will help in connecting start-ups with the global marketplace.
19. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first International Agro-biodiversity Congress in New Delhi.
The 4-day Congress (from 6th to 9th November 2016) will be attended by 900 delegates from 60 countries to discuss conservation of genetic resources.
20. Construction major Hindustan Construction Company (HCC) became India’s first firm to get debt recast under RBI’s new Scheme for Sustainable Structuring of Stressed Assets (S4A).
The RBI-mandated Overseeing Committee (OC) under the S4A has approved HCC’s Rs. 5,000-crore debt recast passed by an ICICI Bank-led joint lender forum in September 2016.
21. Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) mission of NASA has set the Guinness world record for highest altitude fix of a Global Positioning System (GPS) signal.
Operating in a highly elliptical orbit around Earth, the MMS satellites set the record at 43,500 miles above the surface.
22. The surprise announcement by PM Narendra Modi of demonetization of two currency units.
INR 500 and INR 1000 will be no longer legal tender from 8th November 2016 mid night.
[Read Full Story] Govt demonetizes Rs 500, 1000 Notes: Crucial Step to Curb Black Money!
23. China has decided to block India’s bid for Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) membership.
China says that India’s membership and also of Pakistan will be considered only after rules for the entry of non-Nuclear Proliferation Treaty (NPT) countries is finalized by the elite group.
24. Indian Army has completed Demchok mission.
Under this mission Indian Army worked on laying an irrigation pipeline in the Demchok region of Eastern Ladakh.
25. The Government has launched Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas yojana.
It will train the youth of India for better employment.
26. Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, JP Nadda has launched “Healthy India Initiative” magazine and “No More Tension” Mobile Application.
It will prioritize public health and strengthen citizen-centric health services by leveraging India’s expanding mobile phone penetration.
27. The first International Agrobiodiversity Congress (IAC) held in New Delhi has adopted New Delhi Declaration on Agrobiodiversity Management.
The Key Features of Declaration are as follows:
28. The growing power of Indian community in the US was seen once again.
The Hindi language has found a place on ‘Thank You’ note in US president election.
The receipts were in four language – English, Spanish, Chinese and *Hindi.
29. Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar inaugurated the world’s largest digital national building initiative “Smart India Hackathon 2017”.
It is aimed at reaching out to all technology institutions in India and challenge students to offer innovative solutions to the daunting problems faced by our nation.
30. The 36th edition of India International Trade Fair (IITF) has started at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
It will be held from 14th to 27th November 2016.
The theme of 2016 IITF is Digital India.
31. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the International Conference and Exhibition on Sugarcane Value Chain – Vision 2025 Sugar in Pune, Maharashtra.
The 3 days (from 13th – 16th November) conference has been organized by Vasantdada Sugar Institute (VSI) at Manjari near Pune.
Around 1,500 delegates participated in this conference from across the globe.
32. Israel President Reuven Rivlin arrived in Mumbai on November 14th on a six-day visit to India to further strengthen bilateral ties.
He met Prime Minister Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and joined President Pranab Mukherjee in opening an aggrotech conference in Chandigarh.
33. Employees State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) launched medical facilities for its beneficiaries of Delhi. ‘Kahin Bhi-Kabhi Bhi’.
Kahin Bhi means any dispensary/Hospital and Kabhi Bhi means anytime.
34. The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) for the first time has deployed a team of women commandos in anti-Naxal operations in Jharkhand.
The 135 women commandos belonging to the 232 battalion’s Delta Company have started carrying out anti-Naxal operations.
The government has announced that it will present the Union Budget for 2017-18 on 1st February.
The budget session may begin in January.
35. The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), launched a revamped version of its Toll-free helpline number: 1947, to help residents get quick access to information about Aadhaar.
The free of cost helpline 1947 will be available 24×7 throughout the year on IVRS mode, while Call-Centre agents will be available from 7 am to 11 pm (Monday to Saturday).
36. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar launched “Har Ghar Bijli Lagataar” programme.
This is to provide free electricity connection to about 50 lakh households above the poverty line.
37. India has been ranked 20th on Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) 2017.
The publication was issued by Germanwatch and Climate Action Network Europe.
38. Chhattisgarh became the first state to adopt a resolution welcoming the demonetization of high-value currency notes.
The resolution on 16 November 2016 saw 41 votes in favour and 25 against in assembly.
39. Aligarh leads 500 cities in undertaking Swachh awareness generation activities under the fortnightly thematic activities as required under the Swachh Survekshan-2017.
The other cities in the top 10 in this regard are: Vasai-Virar (Maharashtra), Hyderabad, Gurugram, Chandigarh, Madurai (Tamil Nadu), Vadodara and Rajkot (Gujarat), Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh) and Mysuru (Karnataka).
40. The world’s first Genetic Garden of Halophytes (naturally occurring salt-tolerant plants) was inaugurated at the coastal town of Vedaranyam in Tamil Nadu.
It will have over 1,600 species belonging to 550 genera and 117 families of Halophytes plants.
41. Jammu and Kashmir Government launched Jhelum-Tawi flood recovery project.
It will give a push to the reconstruction and rehabilitation of infrastructure post-2014 floods in the state.
42. The Qaumi Ekta Week is being observed all over the country. (From 19th to 25th November 2016).
It will reinforce the spirit of Communal Harmony, National Integration, and pride in vibrant, composite culture and nationhood.
November 19: National Integration Day
November 20: Welfare of Minorities Day
November 21: Linguistic Harmony Day
November 22: Weaker Sections Day
November 23: Cultural Unity Day
November 24: Women’s Day
November 25: Conservation Day
43. India has been elected as the vice chair for 2018 and chair for 2019 of the Kimberly Process Certificate Scheme (KPCS).
KPCS is a joint initiative of the governments, industry and civil societies to prevent the entry of conflict diamonds from the mainstream rough diamond market.
44. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana (PMAY-G), flagship housing for all scheme in Agra, Uttar Pradesh.
Under PMAY-G Government aims to provide affordable, environmentally safe and secure pucca house to every rural household living below the poverty line by 2022.
45. Union textile Minister Smriti Irani launched a scheme of ‘Pehchan’ identity cards to artisans in Ahmedabad.
She also inaugurated thematic handicrafts exhibition.
The upgraded ‘pehchan’ cards were distributed to artisans from five clusters of Gujarat namely Jamnagar, Naroda, Surendranagar, Amreli, and Kalol.
46. India’s longest expressway connecting Agra and Lucknow was inaugurated by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav at Bangarmau in Unnao district of UP.
The Agra-Lucknow Expressway is six-lane Greenfield expressway having a total length of 302-km. It has a design speed of up to 120 kms. per hour.
47. UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has launched one of his dream projects – the UP-100 Police Emergency Management System.
Under the scheme, Police will reach to help within 15 to 20 minutes after UP-100 is called from any urban or rural area
48. With an aim to promote Manipur as a potential tourist destination, the annual Manipur Sangai Festival this year will be themed ‘Destination Manipur’.
The 10-day-festival seeks to showcase the best of what the state has to offer in terms of art, culture, handloom, handicrafts as well as fine arts.
49. The 13th World Robot Olympiad will be held in India for the first time, with over 2,000 students from 54 countries participating.
This year’s theme is ‘Rap the Scrap’ is in line with ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’ of the government.
50. António Costa, the Indian-origin Prime Minister of Portugal will be the chief guest at the 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) Convention.
The PBD Convention is scheduled to be held from January 7 to 9, 2017 in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
51. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the opening of one Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya (JNV) in each of the 62 uncovered districts.
These JNVs will provide good quality modern education to the talented children prominently from rural areas.
Nearly 35,000 students will be benefitted from these JNVs.
52. The Union Defence Ministry is planning to relook at defence blacklist guidelines for dealing with global defence firms engaged in corruption in arms deals.
Thus, under the recently released new policy called ‘Guidelines of the Ministry of Defence for penalties in business dealings with entities’ the Union Defence Ministry will “re-ascertain” the list of companies banned from doing business in India.
53. The fifth International Tourism Mart has begun in Imphal, Manipur.
It will be held between 23– 25 November 2016.
The event has been organized by the Union Ministry of Tourism in association with the North Eastern States and West Bengal.
54. IIT Kharagpur is India’s highest-ranked institution features in the Top 100 QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2016- 17.
It’s the only Indian institution other than IIT Bombay to feature in top 100.
55. India has been ranked 138th in the 2016 ICT Development Index out of a total of 175 countries. In 2015, India ranked 135th position.
The index was released as part of the annual measuring the Information Society Report for 2016 of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU).
56. The Palampur Assembly Constituency of Kangra district, Himachal Pradesh became the first e-assembly constituency of the country.
The system will help the residents of the constituency to know about the development works going on by one click on the computer.
57. India hosted the 13th edition of the World Robot Olympiad on the sidelines of the trade fair in New Delhi.
This is for the first time India hosted World Robot Olympiad.
It has been organized by National Council of Science Museums (NCSM), Ministry of Culture in collaboration with the India STEM Foundation (ISF).
58. India became an associate member of the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), the largest nuclear and particle physics laboratory in the world.
As an associate member, India can take part in meetings of the CERN Council and its committees (Scientific Policy Committee and Finance Committee).
59. Indian Railways will soon introduce Tri-Netra (terrain imaging for diesel drivers infrared, enhanced optical and radar-assisted) system on its trains to reduce train accidents.
Tri-Netra is an advance system is made up of a high-resolution optical video camera, high-sensitivity infrared video camera, and a radar-based terrain mapping system.
These three components will act as three eyes (Tri-Netra) of the Locomotive Pilot.
60. Hundreds of Garo tribals gathered here recently to celebrate the harvest festival of Wangala with much fervor here.
The festival marks the end of a period of toil for farmers wanting a good output from their fields.
61. The Union Agriculture & Farmers Welfare launched e-pashuhaat portal to connect farmers and breeders of bovine animals.
The portal will act as a single online e-trading market platform, including availability of bovine germplasm. It will enable the farmers to buy bovine animals, frozen semen and embryo.
62. The 51st Annual Conference of Directors-General of Police of States was held at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy (SVPNPA) in Hyderabad, Telangana.
The three day (from November 25-27, 2016) conference was inaugurated by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
It was attended by around 100 DGPs of states, Director Generals of Central paramilitary forces and their Inspectors General.
63. Goa is likely to become the first state in India to go cashless from December 31, as people will be able to buy perishables such as fish, meat, vegetables or anything else at the press of a button on their mobile.
One has to dial *99# from their mobile phone, not necessarily a smart phone, and follow the instructions to complete the transaction.
64. Indian Railways and IRCTC have included “transgender as a third gender” in the option alongside male and female in ticket reservation and cancellation forms.
The decision, which was taken on a representation made by a lawyer will include the facility for reservations and cancellations, both online as well offline.
65. Akodara village in Sabarkantha district of Gujarat has earned the coveted tag of becoming India’s first digital village in India.
The village with a total population of 1,191 people and 250 households uses a various cashless system for payments of goods and services.
66. India hosted the golden jubilee (50th anniversary) celebrations of United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) in New Delhi.
67. Delhi has become India’s economic capital.
Mumbai ranks 31st among 50 top metropolitan economic entities globally in 2015, as per latest data released by Oxford Economics.
68. Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan’s film Pink, which dealt with crime against women, has been invited for a special screening at the United Nations headquarters in New York.
Pink is directed by Aniruddha Roy Chowdhury, starred Amitabh Bachchan, Taapsee Pannu, Andrea Tariang, and Kirti Kulhari in lead roles.
69. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has flagged off the Humsafar train from Kushinagar that will ply between Gorakhpur and Delhi’s Anand Vihar terminus.
This tri-weekly train will have several new features, including LED screen display to show information about stations, train speed and will have announcement system as well.
70. Uttar Pradesh now has Asia’s first cycle highway.
A first-of-its-kind project, the 207-km-long cycle highway runs between Etawah and Agra and was declared open recently.
The cycle highway runs parallel to the main highway and is about 7-feet-wide.
71. 10-day long festival named Losar festival has begun in Ladakh region of J&K to mark the beginning of New Year in this Himalayan region.
Losar is Tibetan word for ‘new year’ and this festival is an important social and religious celebration in Ladakh.
List of Nobel Prize Winners and Laureates Across the Globe in 2016!
International – Across the Globe:
1. India has been ranked 133rd out of 183 countries in the 2016 Global Youth Development Index (YDI) compiled by the Commonwealth Secretariat.
Top 10 countries in 2016 YDI: Germany (1), Denmark (2), Australia (3), Switzerland (4), UK (5), Netherlands (6), Austria (7), Luxembourg (8), Portugal (9) and Japan (10)
2. The Paris Agreement to combat climate change officially entered into force after 55 parties to the convention accounting for at least 55% of total GHG (greenhouse gas) emissions ratified it.
India was 62nd country to ratify it on 2nd October 2016.
3. The tenth edition of Indo-Nepal joint military exercise Surya Kiran commenced at Army Battle School, Saljhandi in Nepal.
Its emphasis will be on counter-terrorism in mountainous terrain.
4. For the first time, An Introductory Brief History of Mizo Tribes” has released by the Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla Hindi language.
It is an Introductory Brief History of Mizo Tribes.
5. India- Bangladesh “SAMPRITI” joint military exercise will begin from 5th Nov.
It will be conducted at Tangail, Dhaka, Bangladesh from 5th to 18th November 2016.
6. National Security Advisors of India and Japan held bilateral consultations in New Delhi.
They shared a view that the Special Strategic and Global Partnership between the two countries is a key partnership for promoting peace, prosperity and development in the region and the world.
7. 9th Annual Meeting of International Regulatory Cooperation for Herbal Medicines (IRCH) was inaugurated in New Delhi.
The objective of IRCH meeting is to globally promote and facilitate the safe use of herbal medicines, through regional initiatives, sharing information and fostering dialogue.
8. The High-Level Meeting of Interior Ministers of Indian Ocean Region (IOR) to Counter Drug Trafficking was held in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
It had adopted Colombo declaration.
The delegates from 18 littoral states of the IOR took resolution to make the region a “Drug Free Zone”.
9. The Competition Commission of India was selected to host ICN 2018 Annual Conference.
The Conference will be held at Delhi in March–April 2018.
10. India has been ranked 2nd on the global scale for business optimism.
The ranks were announced by the latest Grant Thornton International Business Report.
Indonesia took the top spot, with the Philippines coming in third.
11. The India-China Joint Training Exercise “Hand in Hand 2016″ is being held in Pune (from 15th – 27th November).
It will be the 6th annual joint training exercise between the Indian Army and the People’s Liberation Army of China.
12. India will preside the eighth edition of the Conference of Parties (COP) to WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC).
It will be held in Switzerland’s Geneva in 2018.
13. The Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Forum’s Week started at Lima in Peru bringing together leaders of world’s largest economies, businessmen and investors.
A creation of Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific, which would include all APEC states, is one of the main topics on the agenda of the 2016 APEC Summit.
14. Australia to introduce the Hindi language in Pre-Schools from 2018.
In order to teach foreign languages in Australia a program named Early Learning Languages Australia (ELLA), was launched in the 2015-16, with five languages.
Hindi will be started in 2018.
15. Maharashtra became the first state in the country to adopt the Fly Ash Utilization Policy.
The policy will make a way for prosperity by generating wealth from waste and environment protection.
16. Russia has been officially withdrawn from International Criminal Court (ICC) after President Vladimir Putin signed an executive order in this regard.
The executive order mentioned that Russia is pulling out of the 2002 Rome Statute, which establishes the ICC’s status and powers.
17. Pakistan conducted Raad ul Barq (Strike of Thunder) military exercise in a strategically located area in Punjab province, bordering India.
It was the comprehensive joint exercise carried out jointly by Pakistan Army and Air Force to reflect the preparedness of our armed forces to respond to any threat to its national security.
18. Oxford Dictionaries declared “post-truth” to be its international word of the year citing a 2,000% spike in its usage.
The word beat competition from “adulting,” “alt-right,” “Brexiteer,” “glass cliff” and “woke”.
19. Pakistan’s Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif inaugurated a trade route linking the south-western Gwadar port to Kashgar city in China as part of $46 billion project to jumpstart economic growth in the South Asian country.
20. India is not inclined to automatically grant the coveted ‘Market Economy Status’ (MES) to China under World Trade Organization (WTO) norms in December 2016.
The main reason India is reluctant to grant MES to China is that it will severely curb India’s ability to impose anti-dumping duties on “unfairly priced” Chinese imports.
21. The International Conference on Brucellosis 2016 and the 69th meeting of the International Society on Brucellosis inaugurated in New Delhi.
The three-day conference has been organized by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) in collaboration with Indian Council for Agriculture Research (ICAR).
22. Nepal has abruptly cancelled all the agreements with Indian construction firm ILFS to build a USD one billion expressway project, connecting the Nepalese capital with the southern Terai region near the Indian border.
23. China has agreed to import rice, non-basmati and basmati varieties from 17 registered mills in India.
These mills are in Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
It is considered as a major breakthrough in India’s efforts to ensure market access for Indian products (especially rice) in China as it is the world’s largest rice importer.
24. Turkey will chair the Energy Club of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) in 2017, becoming the first non-SCO country to hold its term presidency.
Earlier, only members of the SCO had assumed the term presidency of the Energy Club.
25. New Zealand was the most searched country by Indian travellers in 2016, with travel searches increasing by 52% this year when compared to 2015, according to a new Skyscanner survey.
Australia, the second most searched destination, recorded an increase of 47% in searches when compared to 2015.
26. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has dropped the term ‘counterfeit’ and retained ‘falsified’ to describe medicines of inferior quality.
This decision was taken by a WHO’s technical working group on draft working definitions of substandard/spurious /falsely-labelled/falsified/counterfeit (SSFFC) medical products.
27. Thailand’s parliament invited Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn to be the new king, completing a formal step for the heir apparent to take the throne following the death of his father last month.
Vajiralongkorn’s father, the much-revered Bhumibol Adulyadej, who took the throne in 1946, died on October 13 at age of 88 after many years of ill health.
List of National Sports Awards 2016, Check out the Winners!
1. Lewis Hamilton has won Mexican Grand Prix by beating German world champion Nico Roseberg.
Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel came in third position.
2. India has won Men’s Asian Champions Trophy.
India beat arch-rivals Pakistan 3-2 in the final in Malaysia.
3. Pratul Joshi has won the men’s singles championship of the Bahrain International Challenge badminton tournament.
It was his maiden international title.
4. The World Cup scorer winner, Miroslav Klose has announced his retirement from football.
He scored 71 goals in 137 internationals.
He will now join the national side’s coaching team.
5. The annual Forbes Fab 40 list includes Mahendra Singh Dhoni as most valued Indian athlete in India for 2016.\
<span class="glyphicon glyphicon-play" style="font-size:in