2015-04-11

A long time ago, I had the pleasure of playing the first Frontier: Elite II game. I admired it's adherence to scientific realities like orbital periods and such. (Barring the occasional '4-to-7 stars dancing together' solar system.) This modernized return to the classic made me all fuzzy inside, I jumped on the bandwagon. And now for my proposal:

One feature of the old game that's missing still is the navigation screen that would show you the entire solar system with visible orbits, where the planets and moons are, plenty of zoom options... I don't remember the name, so I randomly call it the 'orbital navigation map'.

Granted it's not greatly necessary as we -can- get around with that dreary, linear list of nearby celestial objects, but for the space lover in all of us, the Carl Sagan part of our heart that wishes to better appreciate the orbital dance of these millions of planets and moons, it would be wondrous...

Please, please bring back the orbital navmap, even if only as an unnecessary addition to the 'view solar system'. By showing our ship's location in the system it'll help us explorers position our non-perfect scanners better. But mostly it'll show everyone the beauty behind the astronomical efforts put behind this game.

Show more