Updated: Update to healthcare for early retirees and pensions information.

The British Consular Network in Greece offers consular support and assists British citizens who face serious difficulties such as hospitalisation, detention or death of a British national overseas or instances where a British national overseas is the victim of a serious violent crime.

Greece travel advice

You can receive email alerts on the current situation in Greece or how to stay safe by signing up for Greece travel advice which is updated on a regular basis. This way you will be kept up-to-date with official Embassy advice. Alternatively, you may follow the British Embassy Athens on Facebook and/or Twitter which will also keep you up-to-date. The Know Before You Go campaign has tips on how to stay safe and healthy abroad.

Our consular guide

Information on the kind of help we can provide to British nationals who find themselves in difficulty overseas is set in our publication Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

Registering with the Greek authorities

All EU nationals must apply for the new “Registration Certificate” (Veveosi Engrafis) after they have spent 3 months in Greece. The Registration Certificate replaces the “Residence Permit” (Adeia Diamonis); it is obligatory. This new certificate is open-dated and therefore will not need to be renewed.

The following documents are required when applying for the issue of a Registration Certificate.

In the case of a working person

the passport used when the applicant entered Greece

a statement by the applicant’s duly certified by the local Labour Inspectorate, or a statutory declaration (Ypefthini Dilosi) in Greek specifying the nature and duration of the work to be done by the applicant and confirming local health cover

In the case of members of his/her family

the passport used when the applicants entered Greece.

a document issued by the appropriate authority of the country of origin showing their relationship, for example marriage/birth certificates, which will need to be translated into Greek or, alternatively, applicants may sign a statutory declaration (Ypefthini Dilosi) in Greek to confirm the relationship

In the case of pensioners or unemployed persons

the passport used when the applicants entered Greece

applicants will be asked to prove that they have adequate funds to support themselves, for example by producing their bank account booklet which must show a minimum balance. Alternatively, pensioners can produce written proof (translated into Greek) that they are in receipt of a pension from their country of birth

applicants will need to be able to prove that they have health insurance. This can be an EHIC card, S1 form, UK or Greek Private Health Insurance.

A new document now available to all EU nationals is the “Permanent Residence Certificate” (Engrafo Monimis Diamonis). It is optional. This certificate may suit British citizens who are married to Greek citizens or British citizens who have made Greece their permanent home. Anyone wishing to obtain this certificate must be able to prove that he/she has been a permanent resident of Greece for over 5 years.

Application for the above certificates should be made to the local Aliens Police (Tmima Allodapon) or to the local police station closest to your residence, if you live outside Athens. You should approach the Greek Authorities (Greek version only) for detailed information on the documents required (Greek version only) or further clarification.

Health care in Greece for residents

If you live and work in Greece you will need to obtain a Social Insurance Number - AMKA in Greek. It is essential for those who plan to work, be insured, obtain medical and hospital care or receive a pension or benefits. You can get an AMKA number through your local KEP office (Citizens Service Centre).

The main Greek Social Security organisation is called EOPPY – National Organisation for Healthcare (formerly IKA). EOPPY provides the basic medical services to Greek National Insurance contributors and has a reciprocal agreement with the British National Health Service. Information can be obtained by contacting your local EOPPY office or by visiting the EOPPY website. Appointments to see a state doctor may be made by calling 14554, 14884, 14900, 14784 (charges apply).

If you are a UK pensioner who resides in Greece then you need to apply to the UK Pension Service for an S1 form through the International Pension Centre (IPC) in the UK by telephone: +44 (0)191 218 7777. When you receive this, you should complete it and take it to your local EOPPY office. You will be issued with a health booklet in exchange. This booklet can then be renewed by EOPPY each year. Under normal circumstances, the person who receives a pension is entitled to name his/ her spouse as a dependent and this renders the dependent person eligible to apply for an S1 form from the Pensions Services and therefore obtain a separate health booklet.

If you are a UK early retiree living in Greece, due to recent changes you will have to obtain healthcare cover by joining a private or public scheme. See healthcare in Greece for more information.

There are many public and private hospitals and medical centres of varying standards around Greece. The level of nursing and after-care may differ from what is normally available in Britain.

Unlike the UK, Greece, at the present time, does not recognise partnerships - be it man and woman or same sex - so it is therefore not possible for a partner to be listed as a dependent.

Our travel advice also has general information about Healthcare in Greece.

Healthcare in Greece for tourists

Visitors to Greece should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before leaving the UK. The EHIC is available free of charge through most UK post offices or from the UK Department of Health or by calling 0845 606 2030 to obtain the leaflet “Health Advice for Travellers”. The EHIC entitles you to emergency medical treatment on a par to treatment received by Greek Nationals. You will not be covered for medical repatriation, on-going medical treatment or treatment of a non-urgent nature. Read more about healthcare in Greece.

We strongly recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling abroad. Our travel advice has general information about Healthcare in Greece.

There will be an important change to UK-funded healthcare for visitors from July 1st 2014. See the NHS Choices pages for more details on EHIC changes.

UK pensions

The UK basic state pension is payable in Greece. The state pension changed in April 2010. More people now qualify for a full basic state pension. Find out about the most important changes and what they mean to you. To find out when you reach State Pension age, use the State Pension Age Calculator.

Under EU regulations, customers should claim their state pension in the country they last worked in. If you live but have not worked in Greece, you should claim your UK state pension by contacting the International Pension Centre (IPC). If you live in Greece and last worked here, you should make your claim through your local EOPPY office in Greece. Time worked in all EU countries can be added together when claiming a pension.

If you are moving to Greece from the UK you should inform the IPC of the changes to your circumstances. This will prevent any problems with your pension payments. Furthermore, to enable a pension to be paid directly into a Greek bank account, a form must be obtained from the Pensions Service. This needs to be completed by the pensioner giving all his/her Greek bank account details and sent back to the Pensions Service who will then make the necessary arrangements. For information on medical benefits you can contact The Pension Service.

Life certificates for UK state pensions

If you have received a life certificate from the UK Pension Service it is important that you reply as quickly as possible otherwise your benefit may be stopped. You’ll need to get it signed by a ‘witness’ and send it back, as instructed on the form.

Check the list of people who can witness a life certificate. This is now the same as the list of people who can ‘countersign’ a passport photo, although they don’t need to live in the UK, or have a British or Irish passport.

Driving licences and driving in Greece

British nationals can drive in Greece provided they hold an appropriate valid “European Union format” British driving licence and passport. The Motor Insurance Bureau in Greece has a department serving foreign drivers who hold Residence Certificates.

Under EC Directive 80/1263/EEC, the holder of a driving licence issued in a member state of the EU (unless the licence bears an indication that it was granted in exchange for a non-EU licence) has the right to exchange it into the corresponding licence of the new country of residence without taking a driving test. Relevant information can be found on the Ministry of Transport website. The exchange is also possible through any KEP office. The previous licence must be surrendered to the licensing authority. EU Directive 91/439/EU (implemented in Greece on 01/01/97) states that such a change for persons holding the EU pink common-format driving licence is not obligatory. A Greek driving licence remains valid until the holder reaches the age of 65 years, after which an application for extension is required.

You may obtain further information through the Greek Ministry of Transport. For any enquiries relating to the replacement or renewal of a UK driving licence, you should contact the DVLA.

Our travel advice has general information about road travel in Greece. If you want to hire a vehicle, boat, quad bike or moped, check if it is roadworthy or seaworthy and if there is a full insurance cover. It is illegal to drive a quad bike or motorbike without a helmet, insurance or a valid driving licence. Alcohol and drugs can make you less vigilant, less in control and less aware of your environment. Any incident involving alcohol or excessive drinking may invalidate your insurance. If you drink, know your limit - remember that drinks served in bars are often larger than those in the UK and the drink driving limit is lower than the UK. A criminal record will be with you for life.

Temporary import of cars by tourists

Visitors from other EU Member States, whose cars are registered in that EU state, are free to drive their vehicle in Greece for a period of six months without customs control. The vehicle registration document and proof of ownership is required. Travellers should at all times be able to prove to the authorities when the vehicle was brought into Greece. To qualify for a second period of tax free circulation: either both the vehicle and the owner should be out of Greece for at least 185 days or while the owner is away, the vehicle can remain at a sealed area designated by the Customs authority.

The entitlement to circulate a vehicle on foreign plates is strictly personal, consequently only the wife/husband or children may use the car in addition to the owner. After the expiry of the period granted by the customs authorities, the person concerned will be required to either:

re-export the car

seal it with the customs for a period of at least 6 months (but no more than 24 months) after which time, provided the owner can show that he/she has been out of Greece for at least 6 months during this time, another 6 month circulation period may be granted, or

clear it through customs

Failure to conform to the provisions of Greek Law as above may result in the Greek Customs imposing fines for each extra day after the expired period. Such fines can be very steep and the vehicle may be confiscated. Under such circumstances, the vehicle will not be released to the owner unless he agrees to clear it through customs or export it from Greece. Further advice can be obtained from the Directorate for the Supervision and Control of Cars (DIPEAK): 32 Akti Kondyli St, Piraeus 185 45, Tel 210 4625 884, FAX 210 4625 182.

Permanent import of vehicles – Change of residence certificate

European Union nationals, resident in another European Union state for at least two years, who decide to transfer their place of residence to Greece, are exempt from VAT and Registration currently levied in Greece on:

cars (owned and used privately)

pleasure craft


mobile caravans

Within one month from the date of importation, owners of such vehicles must appear in person at the nearest Customs Authority to request exemption from payment of registration and VAT. The owner will then be granted special Greek registration plates. Vehicles entering Greece are also required to undergo a test at a Vehicle Technical Control Centre (KTEO). A vehicle imported under the above regulation may not be transferred, leased, pawned or lent, nor its use assigned in any other manner without prior approval of the customs authorities. In the event of transfer, lease, pawning, lending or assignment of the use of such a vehicle before the lapse of one year, the total amount of tax due shall be collected.

A full list of requirements and more detailed information is available through the Greek Ministry of Finance:

Director of Customs

Ministry of Finance,

40 Amalias St

Athens 105 62

Tel 210 324 5552 / 210 324 5587


Customs formalities

From 1 January 1993 EU nationals visiting Greece may freely import and re-export personal effects and are not subject to any customs controls or other formalities at points of direct entry from another EU Member State. However, for vehicles, please see the above paragraph. The Greek Embassy in London provides information on moving residence to Greece.

Property purchase

It is important that you retain the services of a competent lawyer to assist you in any purchase and we recommend a lawyer works independently of other parties involved in the transaction. British Embassy’s. There is no Legal Section in the British Embassy and Consular staff are not legally trained; therefore we are not able to advise you on legal matters, interfere in private disputes over property, or other issues. However, we can provide you with a list of English-speaking lawyers. Please note the disclaimer.

You may also want to approach a notary public or a Greek broker for authoritative advice in this matter.


Britain has a double taxation agreement with Greece to ensure people do not pay tax on the same income in both countries. The text of the current agreement can be found on the HMRC website.

The Greek tax regulations are complicated and differ depending upon personal circumstances. As an Embassy we are unable to become involved with tax matters, as we do not have the specific or relevant expertise. The International Economic Relations Directorate also has some useful information.

In addition, you may wish to approach an accounting office for further information and an explanation of the necessary tax to be paid in your case. As each personal situation will be different the Greek Tax Office should also be in a position to explain the exact requirements according to their regulations. You may also find it useful to contact the UK authorities specialising in taxation agreements within the EU. Information can be found on the tax section of GOV.UK.

Information on registering for a tax number (AFM – pronounced aa-fee-mee) can be found on the ERMIS website (Greek version only). Once you have an AFM number you are required to submit a yearly tax return in Greece, regardless of income.

Employment in Greece

A good knowledge of the Greek language might assist you to find a job, however be aware that Greece has a high rate of unemployment. For advice on finding job within the EEA (European Economic Area), you may refer to the Jobcentre Plus, and EURES.

EU Nationals, by virtue of Article 52 of the EC Treaty, have the right of self-establishment in Greece, for example they may work as self-employed persons. However, in some areas, as in self-employed teachers, the Greek authorities may require that an applicant satisfies certain qualifications and requirements. Consequently, anyone wishing to set up as a self-employed person in Greece should consult the Greek authorities regarding their eligibility before doing so.

Relevant information can be found on the EU Work related rights website.

Jobseeker’s Allowance (Unemployment Benefit)

You will find information on transferring your unemployment benefit abroad at the Your Europe website. The Greek Manpower and Employment Organisation (OAED) provides information on Greek unemployment benefits.

UK Benefits

You may be able to claim benefits if you live, move or travel abroad.


The Ministry of Education provides information on the documentation required to register a child at a Greek school. The Europa.eu website has information on starting school in another EU country. The Council of British International Schools and the Ministry of Education provides contact details of foreign schools in Greece.

Primary Education

Children can register throughout the school year, although early registration is advisable. Introductory classes operate at some schools provided a sufficient number of students apply. Certain schools may offer special work with foreign children, but this depends largely on available resources.

Secondary Education

There are no introductory classes for secondary education students. Students will be admitted to the class corresponding to their level of education on production of their official school certificates, which must be officially translated.

More information

documents for travelling to the UK

travelling with children

travelling with pets

Useful contact details

If you need copies of birth, death or UK marriage certificates, you can make an application online on the General Register Office (GRO) website and the certificate will be posted to you in Greece.

Information on voting and being elected in Greece can be found on the Greek Ministry of Interior website (Greek version only). General information on elections in the EU can be found at Your Europe and at www.aboutmyvote.co.uk for voting in the UK.

Non-Greek nationals do not have the right to vote in the Greek General Elections.

Citizen Service Centres (KEP Offices)

There are Citizen Service Centres (KEP in Greek) throughout Greece which you may visit. These centres offer information and services which vary from central to regional and local level. Telephone 1500.


ERMIS is a Greek Government site for central information and e-services hub to citizens and businesses 24 hours a day.

European Commission

EUROPA.EU For information on your rights, travelling, education and living within the European Union.

The Greek Ombudsman

The role of the Ombudsman is to liaise between the Greek public administration and citizens as well as to receive complaints from citizens regarding the Greek public service.

Teaching English as a foreign language

For information on obtaining the necessary qualifications / documents, you may wish to refer to the British Council or The Greek Ministry of Education.

Official translations

The British Embassy does not provide translation services. You may refer to the Translation Service of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs or to the Document Services of the British Council.

Cemetery Acting Administrators

For general and administrative enquires relating to the Phaleron War Cemetery and the Athens Protestant Cemetery you may contact the Acting Administrators below:

Phaleron War Cemetery, Manolis Tsoulos

Athens Protestant Cemetery, Nikos Tagaroulias

Tel: +30 210 981 2036

Tel: +30 210 991 1128

Mobile: +30 6974 555 679

Mobile: +30 6977 002 256

Email: manolis.tsoulos@cwgc.org

Every care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of this information provided as a guide only which is not exhaustive and the British Embassy and British Consular Network in Greece cannot be held responsible for errors or omissions.

Show more