2015-01-22

Authors Note: Just a random, short piece I wrote... Kind of out of nowhere. Feedback is always appreciated, so thanks in advance, and I hope you enjoy :)

“Aaand the letter X on a triple letter score is—“

“Don’t even say it; you disgust me!” Hilary made a motion with her hands, as if she were about to flip the flimsy plastic card table over and scatter the multitude of wooden chips across the floor. Paul tensed beside her, even though he knew she was a kidder like that. Maybe it was something in her eyes.

“24 points! Plus... 8? 32 points! Damn, being buxom has never felt so good.” Jen thrust her chest towards the table, her neck curving up as she sputtered out that fake, tinkling laugh of hers. Paul was momentarily stranded on those tantalizing islands, in fact he felt as though his eyes were jutting out of their sockets to meet Jen’s ever present cleavage in the middle of the table. He tore his gaze away, hoping Hilary hadn’t noticed.

She glared daggers at Jen, paying him no attention whatsoever, and he sighed. Hilary had great lips, but her chest was flatter than a freshly paved road.

“C’mon Hil, you aren’t that far behind. Still leaps and bounds ahead of me.” He floundered to placate his girlfriend, patting her shoulder sympathetically. Hilary didn’t like to lose.

“Ugh, when am I ever behind you in Scrabble? No offense babe, but that doesn’t mean shit coming from you.” His cheeks flared, a familiar surge of heat forcing him to grit his teeth against the retort clawing its way up his throat. Silence.

Hilary and Jen both were studying their letters. Paul gave his own set of letters a quick glance. Before he could find anything more intriguing than small 5 or 6 point words, something pressed itself firmly against the back of his leg. His breath hitched in his throat, and he threw Jen a quick glance while his fingers danced aimlessly across his scrabble letters. She made no conscious effort towards eye contact, but her lips curved into her cheeks, and the pressure worked its way slowly up his calf. He quickly looked back to his scrabble pieces.

“Hah!” Hilary suddenly gasped out loud, rearranging her scrabble tiles frantically to make some amazing comeback, and Paul’s heart stuttered back into its normal rhythm. Jen’s leg disappeared, apparently losing interest in him. Her eyebrows crinkled nervously. Hilary was gesticulating spastically at Jen, smirking, having taken the lead again, and her hand jolted towards Paul. He responded automatically, raising his hand to smack against hers. Jen laughed with her mouth, and cursed with her eyes.

Paul let his own eyes fall back to his scrabble pieces. A smile flickered across his face, and he set down the word “toes” for a meager 4 points.

By the end of the match Hilary was ahead by 2 points, but Jen’s toes were ahead by quite a lot more.

And they said he wasn’t any good at Scrabble.

Show more