2013-07-24

CHAPTER ONE

STANA

Is it hard to start again? What step to take to move on when your whole world was turned upside down? Can you let people in? Trust them? Or maybe the question is can you trust yourself? Will you find a new life to live and love to cherish? Can you start dreaming again? Or will you just let the nightmares consumed you?

I kept asking those questions. Questions that may have been answered by the time. But some I don't know if the answers will ever come. It took me years to stand and walk again with a new life to live, a new direction, a new path that is unknown now. Before, my life was planned step by step. I knew what I wanted, and I was determined to have them. My dreams were reachable, and I have exceeded them so much more. But life is never fair, right? Like they say, you can't have everything. One will always be missing. In my case, everything was taken away...my dreams and my future was knocked down by me. The guilt that I still have inside kept reminding me all the things that I have done, the people that I have hurt in the process and because of a wrong decision that I have made, they suffered the consequences. If I could take it all back, I would even give my own life for them to be happy.

If people will really look, they would see a shattered person reflected thru my eyes, a fake smile that I always bring to let the world know that I've moved. I have moved on. I keep telling myself that mantra for five whole years. But have I? I still know it's a lie. I can feel it, a lie for everyone including myself. Still, I need those words. One day at a time. And I'm still waiting for the day for him to come for me. I know he will come, and I promised myself, I'll be ready for him!

I took a deep breath to settle my emotions. I need to run. I need to clear my head before going to work. This is my life now. The unknown. Others would love to have my life as they have told me several times. Maybe my life now but not my life before because only my family, my friends and the people that I have hurt knew the old me. I shake my head a little to let those memories go. I quickly change my bed clothes to my running gear. Took my iPod from the kitchen counter and a bottle of water from the fridge on my way out. As I step outside of my back door, I take in the fresh morning air of the first day of May. Stretching my shoulders and legs, I put on my earphones with Boyce Avenue playing; I start to walk through the stairs going to the beach. Yes, the beach is at my backyard. It brings me peace and calmness. This was the first place I wanted to move to five years ago to start my new life. This was the only place no one knew my history. Though I've been going to this place several times when I was a younger, and I loved it, I never thought I would be calling this home now.

Placing the guilt to the back of my mind, I take my first step for my run. Catching the first few rays of the sun, the morning breeze and the taste of the salt from the ocean in the air, my head starts to clear and a new me is set to start to live this day.

"Morning Ms. Anderson! How are you today?” asked Miles, our doorman at the hotel where I work.

His hair is starting to get gray at the side, a good body built with broad shoulders and eyes that are gray like storm. He is a good looking guy for his age and clearly when he was younger. He’s been working here for almost his life. He started when he was 16 for my grandfather, and now he’s working for me. Yes, I own a hotel, half of it anyway. One of the finest five star hotel here in Los Angeles. My grandfather made a partnership with Mr. Campbell. They became friends when they met at war and then, they established this hotel. You see, I only found out about my grandparents when I was 10. They reconnected with my mom after my father died. My father and grandparents were not in good terms because my dad, as per my grandfather, took my mom away from them and put her in danger. Being that young, I assumed what that meant was my father moved my mom from LA to Virginia where he was transferred for work. It was common sense that my mom should be where her husband was, so I never asked much. As I grew older, I understood my grandparents. So when I met them, me and my mom, or I alone would fly sometimes to LA to visit, or them come to us. We became closer and because we were the only family my grandparents have, they have entrusted the hotel to me.

“Good morning Miles! I’m excellent, thank you! How are you? How’s Shirley doing? I haven’t seen her for a while.” I answered smiling.

“I’m good ma’am! Thank you! Shirley is fine. She’s busy right now knitting shoes and gloves for Cristina’s baby due three months from now. You know her, she’s always excited to have more grandchildren.” he replied with a small chuckle.

“How is Cristina? Shit! I’m dead when she sees me. I haven’t talked to her for a while like...3 days ago. Good thing you reminded me Miles. She’s highly demanding you know. I’ll call her today so we can do something before she pops out.”, I said chuckling.

“It’s okay Miss Anderson. She knows you’re busy and all. Don’t worry about her.”, Miles assured.

“No, I’ll phone her today and make a girls’ day out tomorrow with Shirley and Marissa.”, I said. “And Miles, you don’t have to call me Ms. Anderson. I told you that. Let’s stick with Stana instead, okay?”, I said reaching out to hold his arm. “You’re like my family, you know that.”, I added with a small smile on my face.

“Oh Ms...Stana, that’s so sweet of you. You’re my daughter’s best friend, but you’re like my daughter too. And thank you for everything you have done for my family. You’re one of the kindest people I have ever met. Actually, you and your grandparents are the kindest, down to earth people that I have ever met. You have a good heart!”, Miles said with a serious tone and a small smile on his face.

“Thank you Miles! That means a lot to me.”, I replied. “Well, I should go inside now and make that phone call to Cristina before she goes charging me here. “Have a good day Miles! I’ll see you around.”

Laughing a little, he said, “Have a good day too Stana!”.

I precede going inside the hotel straight to the reception area. I straighten my posture and take a deep breath to stop my mind from going to those memories. I was touched by Miles’ words. I know I have done some bad things, but I also know, in some ways, I am doing something good especially to my employees. But guilt is always the problem. It shows its face anytime of the day even during those times when you feel elated and start to accept that it wasn’t my fault. I take another deep breath to settle myself and start my day.

“Morning Ms. Anderson!”, Cam said, one of receptionists assigned for this morning. Beside her is Molly. “Morning ma'am!”, Molly said. Cam is a pretty blonde hair girl from Seattle that applied here 3 years ago. She has light brown eyes. I was her last interviewer when she applied. At first, I was skeptical to hire her because she didn’t have any experience as a receptionist. She just graduated from high school and moved here to LA with some of her friends. But when I was able to talk to her and of course with a background in behavioral analysis, I hired her that very moment. She was excited and kept on promising that she’ll give her best in her job. And she hasn’t failed me.

With Molly, she has been with us for a little longer than Cam. Molly is half Asian with clear cream complexion, dark hair and dark brown eyes, almost chocolate in color. She’s a particularly bubbly person, the smile on her face never falters. That’s why I liked her in the front desk. A friendly face always helps in this business. But never underestimate her small physique. At 5 feet 3 inches height and petite body, she can handle herself in any situation, any client or anyone for that matter for as long she knows that she’s right and haven’t offended anyone.

“Good morning girls! How is everything?”, I replied with a smile.

“Everything is good so far ma'am. All reservations and bookings are already done. Most of them anyway are next week.”, Molly answered while Cam moves to the other computer to attend the newly arrived guests.

“Good! If ever you need additional personnel here while Sarah is on maternity leave, you can ask Mr. James, you know right?”.

“Yes ma'am! He already asked us a while ago if we needed help. So far, we’re still okay. We can handle most of the work here. It’s not too busy right now. Besides, Albert will be here by 10 so we’ll be fine.”, Molly answered. Again the smile is still there. This woman can do a commercial for toothpaste with that smile, I said to myself.

“Okay. So anything for me here?”, I asked.

“No ma'am. Alex took them to your office already.” Cam answered.

“Thanks girls! Keep up the good work okay?”

“Yes ma'am!” They answered at the same time and giggled.

Before I set off to my office on the second floor of the west wing building, I do some rounds to check the vicinity of the hotel. The lobby is the first that I check because it’s mostly used by the guests for waiting and small talks with other guests or friends. And the front face of the hotel. I haven’t done any changes here because I love just the way it is. My grandmother helped in the interior design of every room here. The lobby and kitchen are here favorite parts of the hotel. The lobby she said is because you can do people watching. I even tried it with her several times. It was fun actually. You can see people’s reactions to different situations. Some are very funny. Some are sad. Some are heartbroken. Some are so much in love. Some are happy, and some are angry. All of the emotions, love, anger, jealousy, seduction, lust and so forth. Sometimes we even make our own dialogues for them, and we would be laughing. I still do that once in a while when I want to relax from a hard day’s work. Though my grandma doesn’t come here more often, I would call her and describe everything that I see. Then our little banter goes on and we start laughing. The second is the kitchen of course because she loves to cook. I do too. She and my mom taught me all the different cuisines that they knew. I have explored my knowledge in the kitchen more by staying most of the time in there.

The lobby is extremely large, has a high ceiling, with large paintings and is very impressive. It is elegantly decorated, has marble floors, seating areas with sofa sets and two staircases going up to the mezzanine floor. Sunlight streaming through long windows reflects a warm glow. One peek inside the lobby tells you that the property was designed to complement this upscale district, and in a reversal there is no doubt that the area maintained its image over the century. Exotic carpeting, tremendous crystal chandeliers and floral arrangements rival any European 5-star accommodation. Luxury is the word to describe this hotel which has stood in operation longer than any other hotel in U.S. history and can tell you story upon the story of the personalities, celebrities, people and politicians (some people, some not so much) that have passed through the magnificent halls of this hotel. What magnificent halls they are with French Baroque style influence evidenced in every detail of the decor. Gold, silver and butter cream tones line every nook and cranny. The lobby alone feels like a ballroom draped in elegance in preparation for a royal wedding and incited fantastic images in one's mind of what has taken place well over a century (and a few decades) ago.

At first, when my grandfather offered me to handle the hotel, I didn’t accept it. It was not my dream to manage a hotel especially a five star one with high standards. But during my visits here, I noticed that the manager, Glenn, was mistreating the employees. One time, an employee was being scolded in front of the guests. Good thing I was able to restrain myself from punching the guy. Discrimination and sarcasm should have been his middle and last name. With this, some employees were thinking of resigning. The hotel was even having problems with employees’ benefits. I talked to my grandfather that same day asking him the management of the hotel. Though Mr. Campbell’s son, George, had been trying to handle the hotel operation, my grandfather couldn’t allow him 100 percent. George at first sight is a good choice for the hotel. He’s properly mannered, with a degree of Business Management at Columbia University. But he’s too greedy for power and money that he wanted my grandfather out with the operations. Of course, my grandfather didn’t allow such thing that’s why he persuaded me in taking over. I had to corroborate a solution to Mr. Campbell and made a deal will him that in two years’ time, I can make the hotel up to its level once again and give profits to all of us, but I have to handle the operations of everything including decisions that will benefit all of us along with the employees. They can oversee what I will be doing, and major decisions will be discuss first with them. I was confident in achieving this because it was just a matter of mismanagement of George and misplacement of employees. After that meeting, I was given full control of the hotel which made George so angry. But his father assured him that it was for their benefit especially if I was able to grow the profit of the hotel. And I did! The hotel’s name and income came to a significant boost after a year of putting everything on the plan in order with the help of my best friends, Taylor and Trinity, a new hotel manager, Mr. James and newly invigorated and devoted employees. Everyone was pleased. The employees have new and extended benefits for them and their family which gives us more hard working and committed personnel and my grandparents were so proud of me. And now after five years, I’m still in control. The hotel has never been more popular and in demand for all our distinctive guests.

As I open the glass door to the west side building, a blonde hazelnut eyes greets me, Lalaine. She smiles to me while talking over the phone. She handles all the office communication here. I walk down the corridor going to the offices. The first door on the right is for the hotel manager, Mr. James. The door is always open because he wants the other hotel personnel can come in if they needed anything. I think it's his way of saying, I’m approachable and cool. And definitely he is for his age. The second and third doors are the conference rooms. To the left, a small kitchen-pantry with few tables, storage room for office supplies, filing room and to the end corner are the washrooms and cleaning closet. My office is at the far end corner of the building. Before my office are two rooms, one for the Human Resources Administration headed by Taylor, my best friend since childhood. Luckily when I was on the process of taking over, she followed me here after I decided I needed a new environment. She dropped off everything she had there just to support me. We had a pact when we were kids, me, her, Charles and Dave that no matter where we were, whatever we were doing, we’ll be there for each other. And we never failed. She stuck with me with all the downfalls that I had. Even Dave who is a freelance photographer was always by our side.

Next to the HR Manager Room is the Acquisition Manager. Trinity whom I met in college became one of my best friends too. She was my roommate and even though I was younger by a year, we connected and stayed in touch after college.

In the middle are the offices for the other department managers. A small library is also set up near the big conference room. Outside the offices were cubicles for the personal assistants and staff.

I pass Alex, my personal assistant, busy talking over the phone. Stepping inside my office, I look around my second sanctuary. Two built-in bookcases that reached the ceiling were at the corner. A hidden door beside them is my personal washroom. Floor to ceiling windows overlooked the city on one side and glass divider to all the offices on the other side. A white solid wall was behind my modern dark wood desk and a small side table for my laptop. Matching coffee table by the couch was situated at the opposite of my desk, and two white leather chairs were placed in front. Few family pictures were placed by no other than my grandma on the shelves. She said they made the room more intimate and homely. I guess she was referring to George though he didn’t use this office much because he wasn’t around a lot.

Placing my purse on my table, I walk by the window. It is a beautiful morning. People have been busy walking or driving around the city. While others are relaxing, just enjoy the beautiful weather, others going to work, aiming for their dreams. My thoughts drift off to my dream. They said that what makes us happy, we should hold on to them. Although I miss it, I couldn’t make myself go back there. I couldn’t take all the pain that I know I would give to my family and friends again if ever I choose to pursue it. They would be more concern and worry like hell.

I was startled by the high, childlike voice behind me. “Reminiscing time is it?”, Taylor asked with one raised eyebrow. Taylor has light blue eyes with straight auburn hair. She’s shorter of few inches from my 5’8 height. The purple button-through knee-length dress that she has on shows her glass-hour shape body and her peep-toe pumps makes her elegant legs longer.

She has led a charmed life, indulged by her parents. She’s never had to condense her thoughts, those who love her let her talk, which she does at length. We’ve been friends since we were babies including Charles. She lived next door to our house on our right side in Virginia while Charles lived next door to our left side. We were more like sisters because we both don’t have any other siblings. We all went to the same school in grade school and in high school. She and Charles were a year older than me, but we were at the same level and the same class. We were soul-sisters as we say. But Charles was my best friend. When we were in 3rd grade, Dave and his family moved in to the house opposite to ours. He didn’t want to mingle with me and Taylor before because we were girls, but he was fine with Charles. However, as being Charles, he never left us. Eventually, when I defeated Dave in every game that we played, he became part of our group. We were inseparable. Though Dave got involved with different sports in high school and became one of the famous guys in school, yes he was one of the gorgeous people, he always joined us rather than be with his teammates. All the girls in school were envious of our friendship. He dated lots of girls, but when it came to us, he would drop everything off. Sometimes I miss high school when life was not complicated. Maybe in some ways it was, but that’s based on the perspective of every teenager. For me, I was different. Yes, I did go to some parties with Taylor, Charles and Dave and school games to support Dave, but I was more determined to finish high school and go to college. I told you my life was plan step by step and one missed step, I’d fallen over the edge.

“Haha” I answered with a smirk on my face, “I was just admiring the city and the beautiful morning. I can feel this will be a busy day that’s why I’m procrastinating a little while I still can. So what’s up?”

“Nothing much with work related. But with your love life, I have something for you.”, she said with a little squeal.

“Oh no! Not again, please!?! You know I’m not interested especially with blind dates or whatever match making you’re doing! Come on Tay we talked about this a hundred times!”

“Don’t worry it’s not a blind date. You know this guy.”, wiggling her eyebrows with a devilish smile on her face.

“Even if I knew this guy, I said no, remember? What part of NO you do not understand ha?” I said walking to my desk to sit because I would need some support with what’s coming.

“I know you said no, but you know that I don’t follow instructions or rules so quit whining like a baby. It’s just a date. Besides, I’m your best friend, I want you to be happy. You need to move on. When are you going to put yourself in the market again ha? You’re not getting younger okay!”, she said. “Please do it for me...please?”, with hands clasping together as if she was praying.

“Just spill it out. Then I’ll let you know if I want to go with this guy okay?”, I said leaning on my chair defeatedly. She always uses that gesture to me knowing that I can’t say no when she does that.

Squealing and clapping her hands, she takes the seat in front of my desk and said, “Yes, you won’t regret this I promised!”

“I didn’t say I’ll go out with the date. I said I’ll let you know so don’t put your hopes up.”

“Fair enough! At least you’ll be thinking about right?”

“I guess” I muttered with a slow breath, banging my head to my desk.

“So this guy, I ran into him at a bar. It’s a small world you know. Anyway, ...” she was saying. I cut her off immediately, “What do you mean a small world? Please don’t tell me he’s from back home? You know that’s a big NO for me.”, I told her quickly standing from my chair with hands to my hips.

“Of course I know that. I would never do that to you. And to answer your question, no he’s not from back home. He’s someone I knew in college. He is Brad’s friend. He has always been interested in you, but you were always unavailable then...well, you know the story of your life. So we talked, and he asked about you. I said you’re single....blah blah blah...Then he asked if he could have your number, I said no because you would kill me if I did that. Instead, I kinda set you two on a date this Friday.”, she said quickly in one breath.

“Okay, what’s with the blah blah blah? I’m quite nervous when you say those words. What’s behind them?” I asked, sitting again because this will be a long dreadful conversation.

“With everything that I said, you just took note of the blah blah blah?”, she asked. I narrowed my eyes to her, and she continued. “Nothing much. He was just asking questions, and I answered them and avoided answering the questions that will put me to death row. Anyways, so the date is on Friday at 7:00 at the Tavern. He’ll just meet you there.”, with a huge satisfied smile.

“Wow! Are you sure you're my HR Manager? You can be my personal assistant if you want?”, I said sarcastically.

“Nah, I’m good with my job. Leave that for Alex. With your love life, I am your personal assistant.”

“Have you asked Alex about my schedule? What if I have some dinner meeting on that day? Or a something?”, I told her.

“Oh please, when was ever a time you had something on a Friday night? It’s either you’re with me, or Trinity but she hasn’t been here for two months now, and you can’t be with Cristina because of her hormonal state, Dave is in Europe for a job, so that leaves with your grandparents but they don’t stay up late anymore. So you see, you don’t have a life outside this hotel...so no plans sweetheart. You’re going to that date! No more excuses! Yayyy, I win!”, Taylor said, making a happy dance around my office.

“Ugh! What did I get myself into ha? I should have cut ties with you when we were little if only I knew you would be this crazy.”, I said.

Rolling her eyes, she replied, “You love me even I’m crazy. Who’s gonna set you up with dates when you throw a fit like this except me ha? And no one will smack your head when you’re being stubborn. That’s my job!”, she said smirking.

“I’m the one who’s been cracking with your spank ever since we were kids. I’ve been dragging you out from all the parties that you’ve been totally wasted and screwing witless guys. Grr, what a job I have being your best friend,” I said with a hint of smile on my lips.

“Whatever! Just go to this date okay! You need to be in the market now because if not, I have to run a raffle so that someone will have you when you’re old. You won’t be the top prize, you’ll be the consolation prize. It’s like FREE WITH A BONUS”, she said laughing. “I even have to give out free tickets because no one might want you by then."

Taylor dodge the pencil I threw at her while laughing holding her stomach. I am laughing hard too. “Whatever!”

We stop laughing when we hear someone clearing her throat, and we know who is at my door.

“Ms. Anderson, sorry! I just want to run down your appointments for the day. And also Mr. Campbell phoned. He was asking if you could meet him today for lunch at Casa Vega. I haven’t given him an answer yet. Would you want to meet with him?”, she said with eyebrows raised.

Leaning forward to my desk, I clasped my hands together under my chin, confused. Raising one eyebrow, I asked, “He called himself?”

“Yes.”, Alex answered.

“Hmm, something’s not right. He usually don’t make phone calls by himself unless it’s important.” I said looking at Taylor with a raised eyebrow as well. I look back at Alex and said, “ Yes I would meet with him. Tell him I’ll be there at 12. Do I have other appointments aside from that one?”, I asked still thinking what Mr. Campbell wants to talk about with me.

“No other appointments for this day ma’am. You had several calls. One from Ms. Trinity, she called earlier and asked if you can call her back, your mom called, Ms. Mitchell from Green Advertising phoned, your grandfather called. And Mr. James asked when you’re free, he can discuss the Progress Report he made. That’s it.”, she said while looking at the iPad she’s holding for my schedule.

“Okay, set the appointment with Mr. James this afternoon around 3:00, call Mr. Marshall from the Marketing Department and tell him to contact Ms. Mitchell, and he should make a report with what they’ve finalized and we can discuss it when he’s ready. Are the monthly financial statements available already? I want them at my desk by this afternoon. Call the Accounting Department okay. I think that’s it for now. Thanks Alex!”.

“Yes ma’am. You’re welcome.”, Alex replied without taking her eyes from the iPad.

“Hey Alex”, Taylor called, “can you take note that Ms. Anderson is committed for Friday night 7 at Travern? We don’t want to sabotage her schedule and no excuses that she’s unavailable or forgot about it.”, she said with a glimpse of small smile on her lips growing bigger.

“Yes Ms. Taylor, don’t worry I’ll make sure she won’t forget her date.”, Alex answered winking at Taylor while walking out of my door.

“Damn! I need to hire new personnel here where no one will interfere with my personal life. I need to fire you guys.”, I said smiling.

“Whatever Sistah! You’ll be miserable without us.”, she said with a smirk.

“Enough of my love life, I’m not paying you just to sit your big ass here. Go go go! You have your office next door and you need to bug your staff, not me.”, I tell her, going to her chair and pushing her out of my office.

“Okay, okay, I’m going! Remember Friday. You’ll thank me after your first date, you’ll see!”, she said, waving her fingers goodbye to me.

I returned to my desk with a smile on my face. Of course, I’ll be miserable without them. I love them all even with their over bearing sense of making me date except for Dave. He never pushes me to move on with dating. My smile fades when I remember that I have a lunch meeting with Mr. Campbell. He would ask for a meeting once in a while to talk about how the hotel is doing, that’s normal, but him making the phone call to set a meeting with me at a different venue aside from here at the hotel is suspicious. I never had a problem in reading people including Mr. Campbell. He loves money and power just like his son but recently I notice that he's taking it easy with everything I say, like he trusts me. Whatever his intentions with this meeting, I’m positively sure that George is not aware of it.

I arrived at the Tavern five minutes before our meeting. The Tavern has three areas. The front area which they called Larder is for take-out meals, pastries and light lunches. The Blue Room comes in the middle which is the bar and few tables. The last area is the Atrium where most of the dining is. I walked past the dazzling dessert case and admired the elegant wallpaper behind the hostess desk. I was led down a few steps to the airy and light infused dining room. The glass roof ceiling makes it almost like eating outside, bathed in the beautiful filtered sunlight. The plush upholstery, the carpet, the chandeliers, the loftiness of the ceiling, all of it led to the spacious room. There were nail heads around the tables, velvet sofas, luxurious drapery, soft sky lighting, all of it first rate. Mr. Campbell is seated at the far end corner of the room.

“Thank you.”, I told the hostess as I take a seat. “How are you Mr. Campbell? I was surprised with your invitation this morning.”, I said while trying to search any emotions or intentions in his eyes. He has gray eyes with gray hair now. Some wrinkles are showing around his eyes. He's wearing a pressed black shorts and a light blue golf shirt. He must have been from the golf club or either he might go after our lunch. He still maintains a good body and well dressed as always.

“I’m good Stana as always! Thank you for asking!”

A moment of silence pass between us. The silence was interrupted by our waiter taking our drink orders.

“Yes, I know you were quite surprised by my phone call. This is just important for me that I had to call you myself.”, he answered with a serious tone. “Let’s enjoy our lunch first, and then we’ll talk. Shall we?”

“Yes of course.”

We both ordered the Devil’s Chicken, which was a famous dish here, has potatoes, leek and onions with mustard bread crumbs covering the chicken. It's one of my favorites. We made small talks about everything and it led to bringing up the hotel.

“Stana, you know I love the hotel so much. You know how we started this business, and our lives took a blast from it. The hotel is my life. It gave me everything that I ever wanted, and my family has tasted all the fruits of our sacrifices to make it grow. It is more now because of you especially the past few years that you handled it. I’m truly proud of you and thankful for what you did to salvage the hotel.”, he said with all seriousness in his face.

“Thank you Mr.Campbell! I did it for my grandparents for all that they’ve done for me and my mom.”, I replied.

Leaning forward with elbows on the table, he stared directly to my eyes and continued, “We all know that when George took control, the hotel was on its downfall. Because of you, it survived any humiliation. It’s stable and still growing. I know you didn’t only took the hotel under your wings because of your grandparents. You saw what was happening to employees, and you are right. We’ll never succeed anything without them. You always have a good heart.”

“Thank you for the compliment Mr. Campbell! And yes I did asked for the hotel because of all the vicious corrupt handling that was being made there. So tell me Mr. Campbell, what is the real reason you wanted to talk to me here and not in the hotel? Let’s cut the chase here. We both know that we’re not good in making small talks when we want something.”

“I always like your straight forward personality Stana. But you’re right, we don’t give bullshit, and we don’t take crap from others. I want to make a proposal to you, an extremely good tempting offer. I’m selling my part of the hotel to you.”,

My eyes widened, and my eyebrows were raised with his statement. I narrowed my eyes and raised one eyebrow to him and asked, “Why are you selling yours? And why to me?”.

He leans back to his chair with a long sigh as if he’s tired and takes a sip of his wine before answering. “ I’m selling my part because I’m sick Stana. I don’t know how long I still have, but I want everything in order before something happens to me. We all want control, and even before my last breath, I still want it. I’m offering it to you because it’s more of a family business to us. I don’t want other people to enjoy what we have done here. Fruit of our labor should stay within the family.”, he answered.

Searching for any game plot to his face, I see none, only sincerity and complete honesty. Taking his hand to know that I’m sorry for his illness, I said, “I didn’t know you're sick. I’m sorry! If there is something that I can do to help, let me know.”

“Buy my share and you’ll help me.”, he insisted.

“But you have George and he can have your share. I’m not sure why you have to sell your shares to us.”.

“Yes, I know I have George, and we all know how he is.. He’s making all kinds of mistake from his decisions, thinking that because I have money, he can do whatever he wants. He’s on his way to self-destruction and won’t listen to anyone. I don’t want my legacy to go down with him. The hotel is the only one that my name is associated with. With a limited time left for me, I want to do something good. I was thinking of making a foundation for the orphaned kids that are old enough that no family wants them. I want to set up something for them so they can have the education they need. It’s the least I can do for all the people who helped me from the orphanage I was in.”, he said sadly. His stare went from me to the glass he was holding. Then he started telling me the story of his life. Once in a while I could catch a mist in his eyes. I tried blinking several times to stop my eyes becoming watery.

“That’s a vast plan Mr. Campbell. I didn’t know you were an orphan. Looking back to where we came from is the only way of making peace to ourselves. It’s not where we came from that matters, but what we have reached from it and surpassing every trial that we encounter to achieve our goal. It’s also about how we live our lives. Now it’s my turn to say that I’m proud of what you’re planning, and I’ll support you with this program.”, I assured him with a small smile on my lips.

A hint of smile on his face, “Thank you! That means a lot to me Stana.”

“My only concern now is George. If he finds out that he doesn’t own anything from the hotel, he will go berserk. I don’t know what he’s capable of Mr. Campbell but don’t you want to reconsider this?”

Sipping his wine,”I have thought this a million times Stana. I want him to learn how to live his life without depending on my money. I need to teach him a lesson. And you’re right, he’ll be demented if he learns this. That’s why I’m asking you to keep this as low file as possible. I know you’ll talk to your grandfather about this and your lawyer. Please limit it to those people. If George finds out about this, I...I don’t want to think of him badly because he’s my son, but I think he might do something brutal to me or to you. I don’t know. I’m not saying he will, I’m just saying that he’s capable of it.”, with fear showing in his tired gray eyes.

“Believe me, I know what you mean. Everyone is capable of that.”.

Taking a long sigh, he hands me an envelope, he continued, “Here is the proposal I was thinking. Read it and if you have any questions about it, call me or my lawyer. He’s the only one who knows about this and my condition. Let me know what you think, and we can schedule another meeting to finalize everything.”, he stands and offers his hand for a shake.

“I will. I’ll have to discuss this to Granddad soon, and we’ll let you know.”. Taking his hand, I pull him for a hug and said, “Again if you need anything if there’s something I can do to help, call me. You’re part of my family Mr. Campbell.”

“Thank you Stana! It was great seeing you. Till next time.”, he said with a sad tone in his voice as he walks out of the restaurant.

I sit back again and think of all that we just talked about. Life is certainly unfair. He has money and power, he found his love and lost it, but still he doesn't have a family that will take his hand when times like this. He is a good man though some thought he is snobbish. He just didn’t trust people.

Calling our waiter, I paid for the check. Taking my time walking from the restaurant to my car, I recall the story of his life. I am saddened by the fact that Mr. Campbell was not able to have what he actually wanted in life. He had lived his life alone in the orphanage, enlisted for the war and met his best friend there, my grandfather. Met his wife but taken away immediately from him. Became a multi-millionaire but still he’s alone in his life. It was a sad story, but a lesson to be learned at the end. A lesson that we can never have what we truly want.

Most of the afternoon pass by without me noticing it. My mind keeps on coming back to the conversation I had with Mr. Campbell. I have the money to buy his shares, most of it came from my father's life insurance and a trust fund set up by my grandparents when I was born. All of it was entrusted to me when I reached the age of 18, but I never use it even a single dime. My previous job paid very well, and I didn't spend much then because most of my expenses before were shouldered by the agency and material things didn't attract me. I like simple things then until now. Once in a while I indulge myself in buying expensive clothes but still I am particularly thrifty. What I am worried about being George. I know I can handle him. I'm worried what he will do against his father. His reaction when I was given full authority of the hotel was barbarous. He calmed down after his father explained our deal and what he will gain from it. Yet, he was still repulsive about the idea. Thinking about Mr. Campbell’s proposal, I know I need granddad's advice.

I push the intercom button on my phone to connect to Alex. “Yes Ms. Anderson?” she asked.

“Do I have any appointments for tomorrow?” I asked as I was going thru my emails on my laptop.

“The monthly luncheon for office staffs is tomorrow at 12. Aside from that, your day is clear ma’am.”

“Okay. I won’t be able to attend the luncheon tomorrow. I have some personal matter to attend.”, I tell her.

“Oh, okay. Do you want me to cancel the luncheon tomorrow or reschedule it next week?”, she asked.

“No, no, no! Just go ahead with the luncheon. Just tell them I won’t make it join them.”

“Yes ma’am. Is that all?”

“That’s all. Thanks Alex! You can go home now.”

“No problem ma’am.” Then the line went off.

I swirl my chair to face my windows. The sun is about to set off. Today’s events still linger in my mind. I have gained another day. What will be tomorrow? Will I learn to let go of my grief? My guilt? Him? Will my nightmares stop tonight? Or will I start to dream new dreams for my future? Will he come for me tomorrow? Will it all end soon? Tomorrow…what will it be? The unknown. I take a deep breath and exhale slowly to let go of today.

“Hey Stan, do you want to try the new Japanese restaurant down a few blocks from here? I’m dying for some sushi today.”, Taylor asked while searching something in her purse.

I turn my chair to face her. She’s been my lifeline since I destroyed my life. She never left my side. She had done so many things for me, and I know she will do anything for me. She may be crazy sometimes, but I love her like a sister.

“Sure. I’ve been thinking of sushi too. Can we walk though? It’s a warm night, and I need some fresh air.” I tell her as I stand from my desk and grab my purse.

She looks up to me when she hears a hint of distress in my tone. She looks at my face, searching for any signs of sadness. I have mastered the act of hiding my feelings even my facial reactions. I know she couldn’t find any trace, but her knitted eyebrows and worried eyes know that there’s something up.

“Is everything alright? Are you okay?” she asked with an anxious voice.

“Every thing’s fine. I’m just tired. I just want to chillax for the night.” I tell her as I walk straight to her. I gave her a small smile to convince her that I'm okay.

“Are you sure? You seem off when you arrive from your lunch with Mr. Campbell. What does he want anyway?”

“Nothing much. We just talked about the hotel. He wanted to have new scenery that’s why he asked to have lunch outside from the hotel.” I said.

“Ah okay. We should go now if you wanted to walk to the restaurant.”

“Let’s go.”

Show more