2014-08-20

MATCH ANALYSIS

We were set up with 4-4-2 against Coventry’s 5-3-2, if you include the wing-backs Clarke and Haynes as part of the five.

The positive aspects of our play were that we have busy and technically good footballers in midfield. When they got their game going well, especially Hourihane, Berry and Bailey, we looked a good side. We also have players in Leroy Lita, Winnall and now Cole, who are likely to score, given any reasonable number of chances, which makes the attacking ploy a good one.

The negative aspects of our display were mainly to be found in defence. The first goal was the result of woeful defending, especially so early in the game. Brown looked a bit off the pace all match, but his half-hearted attempted header was just inexcusable. Some may also blame Nyatanga, but I don’t think he was expecting what Brown did and, by the time he reacted, it was too late. We were also vulnerable all game to any set pieces from Coventry, be it corners, or free-kicks. The reason was simple enough – Coventry had big, muscular defenders in Reda Johnson, Aaron Webster and Jordan Willis to throw forwards at such times, whereas we had to defend with only Lewin Nyatanga of any height, Martin Cranie, Reece Brown and one of Leroy Lita, or Sam Winnall. I thought that Coventry won the headers in every single set piece all night and was concerned every time they got another one. In this respect, we were highly vulnerable and needed at least one more player with both height and muscle to be able to pull back at corners and free-kicks. I was hoping all game for a glimpse of Jean-Yves M’Voto, but no! On what I saw last night, I think it would strengthen us most if we had a back-line of Cranie, M’Voto, Nyatanga and Dudgeon. I also thought that we lacked a bit of threat down the flanks. Given that Coventry play with wing-backs, the pockets of space are often down towards the corner-flags and, in Keith Treacy, we had the sort of winger who could exploit that weakness in the system, but only occasionally did it happen. From the positional play of Treacy, that might have been more to do with tactics, than quality. I just wished he had run more into the space behind Jordan Clarke and to the left of Jordan Willis, or the same on the other flank.

I think that we can be satisfied with a point. On a night when both teams went for it, honours shared was a fair outcome and we did well to fight back twice, which bodes well for the rest of the season.

PLAYER RATINGS:

Adam Davies 6: he seemed to grow in confidence through the game and made a couple of very smart saves. He was occasionally out-muscled by the likes of Johnson, but got the free-kick each time. On other occasions he caught well under the high ball. His distribution was occasionally wayward, but one of our problems up front with no target man is who is he aiming for? I am not sure even he knew for certain at times.

Reece Brown 4: woeful error for Coventry’s first goal and there were other times he looked sloppy and not alert enough. Did his best to make up for the error when attacking down the right, but it has been said that he looks like a central defender trying to fit into right back and last night’s performance confirmed that.

Martin Cranie 6: did plenty of good things and got in some good blocks, but he seemed quite over-powered by the Coventry players at set-pieces, which is worrying, as there are plenty of such big defenders and forwards in this division.

Lewin Nyatanga 7: some blame him for the first goal, but I am not convinced that he was expecting such a poor pass. Although he lost possession in the second half to gift a chance to McQuoid, I thought his quality as a tall, muscular and commanding defender was the one attribute of which we need more if we are to avoid getting battered. Also dangerous when we had corners.

Joe Dudgeon 7: solid performance from a dependable left back. Read the game well positionally; often got in good tackles at key times; prodigious secret weapon long-throw, which, although it did not benefit us last night, certainly should in future. I would hope we can make him a permanent signing, or, at least, season-long loan.

Luke Berry 6: technically a very good footballer, who played a part in our equaliser, as well as some of our better passing phases across midfield. Although playing right-side, he certainly is no winger and there may be times we need the advantage of greater width than he gives us. Beginning to forge a good midfield partnership with Hourihane and Bailey in particular.

James Bailey 5: not a typical defensive midfielder, but key to the way Danny wants us to play. In fact, not far off the sort of player Danny once was. Whilst he did not have a huge and obvious impact on our performance, like Hugo Colace of days gone by, he did a lot in terms of anticipating opposition moves and breaking up play, as well as getting us started.

Conor Hourihane 8 and my Man of the Match: excellent performance even not taking into account his sublime free-kick first equaliser. He seems to be constantly in the action. Good pair of feet. Kept possession well. THE key player in our passing game through midfield and capped with a free-kick you could not see bettered in the Premiership.

Keith Treacy 5: I have seen him a fair few times for the likes of Burnley and Preston and rate him highly as a traditional winger, but one suited to coming inside to score from time to time. Last night I thought him rather quiet. Maybe he wasn’t given the brief to play too far wide, but, with his skill and pace, he should have been tearing Coventry apart in the gap down their right.

Leroy Lita 5: got the goal well. The sort you expect him to finish and the sort on which his career record is based. Other than that, he did not graft hugely and one of our weaknesses was that we did not hold up the ball well enough in the opposition half. If our midfield is to score the goals of which it is capable, we need our strikers to do this as part of their game, rather than just being goalscorers.

Sam Winnall 6: one very close shot before Coventry scored and some very good first touches throughout. He is not a traditional centre-forward by any means, but seems to need to have the freedom to drift into wide positions and attack defences from there. He deserves a first goal for us on the effort he has put in, but did not often look like getting it last night. Our defenders need to realise that there is not a lot of point of hoofing long balls up to him. He is an Andy Payton, who needs the ball played into space. The goals will come.

Paul Digby 5: did his bit in shoring up midfield when brought on. I would like to see him develop into a strong midfielder for us this season.

Devante Cole 7: a couple of blistering runs show what he is capable of. I hope we play him wide of a front three, inter-changing with Winnall, Lita, or whoever the third forward might be because that would seem to be his strength. Physically strong enough in the first place to get past defenders and then quick enough to leave them in his wake, once he starts scoring for us, he may not stop.

Kane Hemmings – unfair to give a score for about three minutes’ play, but at least we now know that he is not another Phil Gridelet and he actually does exist. Hope he gets games and goals for us.

SUMMARY

There were glimpses of the potential of this team last night. At best, I can see us developing a fast, one-touch passing style, using the pace of the front men such as Winnall and Cole to finish. In animal analogies, we won’t be a lion with a roar, but we could probably become a leopard with stealth, grace and pace. On last night’s showing, we will be seeking to attack our way out of this league and it should be exciting at least watching these talented young players try.

Show more