2014-05-21

AAP

By Justin Chadwick

May 21, 2014, 3:55 pm

Forward Ben McCalman hopes the Western Force's hot start to the Super Rugby season will be rewarded by a host of Wallabies' call-ups.

McCalman and winger Nick Cummins are almost certain to be named in the Wallabies' 32-man squad for next month's three-Test series against France.

Force skipper Matt Hodgson is also in the running after producing a series of inspiring performances this year, while lock Adam Coleman, flanker Angus Cottrell and hooker Nathan Charles loom as bolters.

The Force are in the hunt for a maiden finals berth after winning seven of their opening 11 games of the season.

McCalman is confident the side's rise up the ranks won't be ignored by Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie when the squad is revealed on Thursday.

"I guess you'd like to think, with the success we've had this year, you might see a few new faces from the Force in there," McCalman said.

McCalman has been a key driver in the Force's stunning resurgence this year, with the 26-year-old combining brilliantly with Hodgson and Cottrell to create a formidable back-row.

But with Melbourne Rebels enforcer Scott Higginbotham and NSW Waratah Wycliff Palu also competing for the No.8 jersey, McCalman knows he faces a fight for a starting role.

"Personally, I feel like it's probably the best season I've had so far. I'll see what happens with selection," McCalman said.

"In certain games, they may pick certain combinations."

In-form centre Kyle Godwin is set to miss out on a Wallabies call-up as he recovers from a low-grade ligament tear in his knee.

Godwin missed last week's 24-8 loss to the Stormers in Cape Town, and he'll also sit out Saturday night's clash with the Lions in Perth.

The Force were starved of possession against the Stormers, with the Perth-based franchise having to make 65 tackles inside the opening 22 minutes.

But the job is set to be far easier against the Lions, who sit in 14th spot following a six-game losing streak.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...allabies-gold/

Show more