2014-08-27

Hello, I'm new here, so please be patient :wink-new:

So after being a long time Usenet user, I decided to try some private trackers. So far so good, they have lots of content, and DMCA takedowns are not that much of a problem. I've also been able to maintain a good ratio (15+), but I don't want to leave my computer on 24/7 and waste my bandwidth on torrents, so I'm looking for a Seedbox.

First let me tell you that regarding Seedboxes, my experience is 0, and as I'm not into the bittorrent protocol I've some questions. First, regarding the bittorrent protocol and then about which Seedbox to rent.

How does the tracker know Seedbox X (or host W for the matter) belongs to the user Y?

A) Do they track the ratio using the IP address (users have to login at the website, the website records the IP address and binds that IP address to user Y, and then the tracker uses that IP address to control the ratio?

OR

B) Does the bittorrent protocol allow some kind of authentication? For instance, some unique ID is generated and placed in the torrent file when user Y downloads it from the website, binding the user Y to torrent Z, and then the tracker controls the ratio based on the unique torrent file?

If A) is correct, I've to contact the admins, let them know the IP address of the Seedbox for them to bind it to my username, correct?

If B) is correct, I just have to upload the torrents and the .torrent file, and the tracker will recognize the user, is that right?

I'm asking you this because first I want to upload several files that I downloaded from Bakabt to the Seedbox, and keep seeding them there, to do that, is there some tutorial (I've only found some tutorials to download new files, not upload existing files and keep seeding from there.

Finally, which Seedbox do you recommend between €10 and €15? I live in Portugal, I don't need unlimited bandwidth as I know nothing is unlimited. HDD does not need to be huge (300GB is fine). I just want a service with a decent up-time, decent interface and good support.

Best regards.

Show more