2016-03-12

AJ's Spring 2016 Anime Preview Thread

Follow

5 hours ago
5h ago

Welcome to another season preview thread! Less fantasy this time around, but far more in the way of children's card games and the like. Looks as though one or two of the shows on offer could turn out to be classics, but only time will tell~

(These series are all due to air in the first few weeks of April. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)

12-sai.: Chiccha na Mune no Tokimeki

Genre: shoujo

Animation Studio: Oriental Light and Magic

Japanese Airdate: Apr 4, 2016

Seiyuu: Kakuma Ai, Saitou Souma , Kimura Juri

Director: Oozora Seiki (Telepathy Shoujo Ran, 12-Sai.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summary:

The story begins with Hanabi, a sixth-grade girl who is neither an adult nor a child. She deals with issues such as accidentally witnessing her homeroom teacher kissing, and worrying about experiencing physiological changes before her friends. The series depicts a 12-year-old girl's innocent worries and first love.

Seems cute and innocent enough... but also quite boring. :yawn: The OVAs that are already out are apparently half-length episodes, so maybe this TV series will follow the same format?

Aikatsu Stars!

Genre: Idols

Animation Studio:

Japanese Airdate: Apr 7, 2016

Seiyuu: Tomita Miyu, Yamaguchi Megumi, Asai Ayaka

Director: Satou Teruo

Quote:

The series will feature a new protagonist named Yume Nijino. Yume aims to become a top idol, and she enrolls in the Yotsuboshi Gakuen (Four Stars Academy). This academy has a special group called the S4, who are the top four active idols in the school. Yume and the other first-year students aim to become a part of the S4.

Moving in to replace the previous Aikatsu series just as it ends, keeping up the franchise's unbroken 4-year run, except this time it's a spin-off with a new main character. Meh, not for me.

Bakuon!!

Genre: Seinen, Slice of Life, Sports

Animation Studio: TMS Entertainment

Japanese Airdate: Apr 5, 2016

Seiyuu: Ueda Reina, Touyama Nao, Uchiyama Yumi

Director: Nishimura Junji (Simoun, You're Under Arrest!)

Quote:

The story revolves around high school girls who discover the appeal of motorcycles. Sakura Hane is a high school student who looks a little bit like an airhead. On the way to her all-female high school one day, she is worn-out climbing a hilly road with a bicycle, but she sees a girl named Onsa Amano who is riding a motorcycle. Sakura immediately becomes interested in motorcycles, and she and Onsa join the motorcycle club at the school. Then, Sakura sets out to get her license.

Another high school girls club slice of life anime; motorcycles are an original subject for one of these, though, and if the director's previous work on You're Under Arrest! is anything to go by, expect a lot of fanservice... from the vehicles. I'm curious, but not hugely excited by this one.

Battle Spirits: Double Drive

Genre: Action

Animation Studio:

Japanese Airdate: Apr 6, 2016

Seiyuu: Koichi Makoto, Tamura Mutsumi, Hata Sawako

Director: Sugishima Kunihisa (Yu-Gi-Oh!, Speed Grapher)

Quote:

Shunta Mogami loves the Battle Spirits game. One day he is transported by a light from a Battle Spirits card to Spirits World, the origin of all Battle Spirits. He meets a girl named Eto, who claims to have summoned him to Spirits World in order to prevent its destruction at the hands of the revived Evil God-King, who once plotted the destruction of Spirits World before being defeated and sealed away. Together with the confident, green-deck-wielding Yoku Albatrosa, who also came from another world, Shunta sets out to find the twelve God-Kings whose power originally sealed the Evil God-King.

Children's card game anime haven't changed a lot over the past decade, have they? :p: As with Aikatsu, this will be continuing right where previous series Battle Spirits: Burning Soul left off... don't count on it being subbed, though.

Beyblade Burst

Genre: Adventure, Sci-Fi, Sports

Animation Studio: Oriental Light and Magic

Seiyuu: Inoue Marina, Enoki Junya, Okabayashi Fumihiro

Director: Akiyama Katsuhito (Inazuma Eleven, Bastard!!)

Quote:

Bart Aoi is a hot-blooded kid who loves to attack and wields a Beyblade named Valkyrie. His close friend Shuu Kurenai is an elite Blader who is a genius but still puts in a lot of effort, and wields the Beyblade named Spriggan.

Card games too tame for you? How about the 3rd generation of Beyblades? :D I never watched, played or collected this when I was younger, so I'm not even interested from a nostalgia point of view.

Big Order

Genre: Action, Shounen, Super Power

Animation Studio: Asread

Japanese Airdate: Apr 16, 2016

Seiyuu: Morita Masakazu, Mikami Shiori, Harada Hitomi

Director: Kamanaka Nobuharu (Big Order OVA, Meitantei Conan: Excalibur no Kiseki)

Quote:

The story centers on an introverted high school student named Hoshimiya Eiji with a huge secret — he wished for the destruction of the world when he was younger. Fairies give certain people special powers called Orders. What Order Users can do with their power depends on their wishes. 10 years after the Great Destruction, Eiji struggles to come to terms with his immense power.

The synopsis and tags are relevant to my interests; I'm less excited by Asread being the producer, but then again they did a fine job with Mirai Nikki. I'll certainly be interested to see what direction the story takes.

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal - Death Busters-hen

Genre: Demons, Magic, Romance

Animation Studio: Toei Animation

Seiyuu: Mitsuishi Kotono, Hirohashi Ryou, Satou Rina

Director: Kon Chiaki (Umineko no Naku Koro ni, Golden Time)

Quote:

The season adapts the Death Busters arc from the fifth and sixth volumes of the complete edition of Takeuchi Naoko's original Sailor Moon manga.

More Sailor Moon Crystal~ I've not been watching these, as I was already watching the first 90s anime when the remakes started, but the trailer looks amazing as expected.

Boku no Hero Academia

Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy

Animation Studio: Bones

Japanese Airdate: Apr 3, 2016

Seiyuu: Yamashita Daiki, Miyake Kenta, Yuuki Aoi

Director: Nagasaki Kenji (No.6, Classroom Crisis)

Quote:

Midoriya Izuku was just a regular middle school student in a world where people with superpowers known as Quirks are the norm. However, he dreams of one day becoming a Hero, despite being bullied by his classmates for not having a Quirk. After being the only one to try and save his childhood friend, Katsuki, from a Villain, All Might, the world's greatest Hero, bestows upon him his own quirk, One For All. The story follows Izuku's entrance into Yuuei High School, a school that cultivates the next generation of Heroes.

This is certainly getting a lot of hype, and Bones are a competent studio. The high school setting, though horrendously over-used, often still works if the place or the lessons are ridiculous enough. Most important question is, how interesting are these powers or 'quirks'? A definite maybe.

Bungou Stray Dogs

Genre: Mystery, Seinen, Supernatural

Japanese Airdate: Apr 7, 2016

Seiyuu: Uemura Yuuto, Miyano Mamoru, Kamiya Hiroshi

Director: Igarashi Takuya (Soul Eater, Ojamajo Doremi)

Quote:

Nakajima Atsushi was kicked out of his orphanage, and now he has no place to go and no food. While he is standing by a river, on the brink of starvation, he rescues a man whimsically attempting suicide. That man is Dazai Osamu, and he and his partner Kunikida are members of a very special detective agency. They have supernatural powers, and deal with cases that are too dangerous for the police or the military. They're tracking down a tiger that has appeared in the area recently, around the time Atsushi came to the area. The tiger seems to have a connection to Atsushi, and by the time the case is solved, it is clear that Atsushi's future will involve much more of Dazai and the rest of the detectives!

Hello again Bones! An interesting summary and fantastic trailer, I only hope it turns out to be better than a lot of the other mystery/detective series that have been churned out in recent seasons.

Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - THE LAST SONG

Genre: Action, Super Power

Seiyuu: Ishikawa Kaito, Toyosaki Aki, Uesaka Sumire

Director: Mizushima Seiji (Ooedo Rocket, Un-Go)

Quote:

Second season of Concrete Revolutio.

...Hello again, Bones! Amusing how their offerings this season ended up following each other alphabetically like this. Regarding Concrete Revolutio, I personally dropped the first series half-way through, so won't be picking this up.

Duel Masters VSRF

Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy

Animation Studio:

Japanese Airdate: Apr ?, 2016

Seiyuu:

Director:

Quote:

The new series will feature talking hamsters, as well as "amazing transfer students" who appear one after another. The video also confirms that Katta Kirifuda, the younger brother of the previous franchise lead Shoubu Kirifuda, will continue to star in the series.

The 12th Duel Masters anime, continuing (as these usually do) right from where the currently airing VSR is due to end. Though it has a highly amusing summary and even more amusing trailer, nobody subs these things, so I'll be giving it a miss.

Endride

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy

Animation Studio: Brain's Base

Seiyuu: Ono Kenshou, Masuda Toshiki, Miyama Karen

Director: Gotou Keiji (Kiddy Grade, Uta Kata)

Quote:

Endra is an unknown world beneath the surface of Earth, where the giant Adamas shines above, and seven-coloured bands drift across the skies. One day, Asanaga Shun, an ordinary yet positive and bright 15-year-old middle school boy who lives in the Land Above, discovers a mysterious crystal at his scientific businessman father's company, and the moment he touches the crystal, he is transported to Endra. There, he meets the recently captured 16-year-old prince Emilio, who strongly despises the current king, Deruzain, and was imprisoned after seeking vengeance against the monarch.

This one's an original anime project with no source material, but though the whole 'sucked into a fantasy world' trope is old and tired, I'm still looking forward to this. Brain's Base are a good studio, and this has another good PV.

Flying Witch

Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life, Supernatural

Animation Studio: J.C.Staff

Japanese Airdate: Apr 10, 2016

Seiyuu: Shinoda Minami. Suzuki Eri, Kayano Ai

Director: Sakurabi Katsushi (Gunparade March, Asatte no Houkou.)

Quote:

The comical story follows the 15-year-old witch Kowata Makoto and the other boys and girls in her daily life. With her black cat Chito, the somewhat aimless girl moved from Yokohama to live with her second cousin at Aomori in verdant northern Japan.

Looks like it'll be a fairly relaxing slice of life show, no turning people into frogs or burnings at stake or anything like that. :p: I'm vaguely interested, but I'll see what other, more plot-driven series the season has to offer first.

Future Card Buddyfight DDD

Genre: Game

Animation Studio: Xebec, Oriental Light and Magic

Japanese Airdate: Apr 2, 2016

Seiyuu: Mizuno Marie, Saito Soma, Muranaka Tomo

Director:

Quote:

The third Future Card Buddyfight TV series.

Blah blah children's card game, blah blah continuing straight on from Future Card Buddyfight 100, etc etc. You know how these work by now. The one major difference is, Crunchyroll have been subbing the Future Card Buddyfight franchise, so you may actually get to watch this one if you so choose!

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2

Genre: Ecchi, Fantasy, Harem

Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures

Seiyuu: Tamaru Atsushi, Kakuma Ai, Izawa Shiori

Director: Setou Kenji (Wooser no Sono Higurashi Kakusei Hen, Gakusen Toshi Asterisk)

Quote:

Second season of Gakusen Toshi Asterisk.

I didn't watch the first series, opting instead for its doppelganger Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry, so I shan't be watching this either.

Gekidol

Genre: Music

Animation Studio: Hoods Entertainment

Japanese Airdate:

Seiyuu:

Director:

Quote:

A multimedia project that will combine stage theater, anime, and idols.

Anichart is linking this to the current season, but I've not seen even a rough airdate listed elswhere. Until there's more information available, I don't have much to say about this, except that it's probably not my thing.

Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney)

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Mystery

Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures

Seiyuu: Kaji Yuuki, Nakamura Chie, Tamaki Masashi)

Director: Watanabe Ayumu (Nazo no Kanojo X, Uchuu Kyoudai)

Quote:

A rookie lawyer Ryuuichi Naruhodou stands up to save his defendants by proving their innocence from unusual cases!

Is the defendant guilty or innocent...? Believing his client's innocence Naruhodou stands in court and battles his rival judges. With the word of "OBJECTION!" and limited evidence, Naruhodou makes a comeback when all odds are against him and seems like there is nothing more he can do. Don't miss out on the comical episodes between him and his mentor Chihiro Ayasato, assistant Mayoi Ayasato, rival prosecutor Reiji Mitsurugi, and numerous unique characters! The anime also depicts the childhood relationship between Naruhodou and his friends. With the skills inherited from his mentor Naruho reveals the truth!

Figured I'd include the English title for this one, otherwise many game fans might not recognise it! I've never played the games myself, but if this anime impresses me then maybe I will in the future!

Haifuri

Genre: Slice of life

Animation Studio: Production IMS

Japanese Airdate: Apr 10, 2016

Seiyuu: Natsukawa Shiina, Amamiya Sora, Tanezaki Atsumi

Director: Nobuta Yuu

Quote:

With Japan having developed as a maritime nation, it becomes necessary to have specialized schools to teach skills essential to protect the sea. The setting is one such all-girls school. The girls who enroll here study to become blue mermaids through classroom instruction and learning practical skills. They live by the motto: In the sea we live, the sea we protect, and by the sea we go. They must excel in their studies and also adopt an international mindset. They are the Elite of the Sea, who are expected to be knowledgeable of the customs and cultures of other countries as well as their own.

Yet another cute slice of life high school show, sure, but possibly educational about conservation, the sea in general, and about other cultures? If so, maybe this might be worth a look after all.

Hundred

Genre: Ecchi, Harem, Mecha

Animation Studio: Production IMS

Seiyuu: Hasegawa Yoshiaki, Mao, Ookubo Rumi

Director: Kobayashi Tomoki (Tears to Tiara, Steins;Gate)

Quote:

A mysterious life form known as Savage is attacking the Earth, and there is only one weapon that can counter it: the Hundred. To become a Slayer, a master of military arts who wields this Hundred, Kisaragi Hayato enrolls in the marine academy city ship Little Garden. However, Hayato feels a strange yet familiar sense of incongruity towards Emile Crossford, his roommate who somehow knows him from somewhere. On top of that, as soon as he enters the school, he is challenged to a duel by the Queen, the school's most powerful Slayer, Claire Harvey.

Magic school, generic-looking yet strangely irresistible male lead, immediately challenged to a duel by the school's elite, gratuitous boob-groping ensues? It's the same thing every season, just under a different (and not horrendously long for once) name! Not interested. :no:

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai

Genre: Action, Adventure

Animation Studio: David Production

Japanese Airdate: Apr ?, 2016

Seiyuu: Ono Daisuke, Ono Yuuki, Sakurai Takahiro

Director: Tsuda Naokatsu (Inu x Boku Secret Service)

Quote:

Fourth story arc of JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken series.

The coastal town of Morioh is plagued by the "Bow and Arrow," an ancient artifact which manifests latent stand abilities in criminals and ordinary folk alike. At the same time as they are dealing with the huge influx of stand users—both good and bad—in Morioh, high schooler Jousuke Higashikata and his friends are searching for the culprit of a series of homicides.

FINALLY, not only the first sequel that I'm planning on picking up, but the first series in general this season that genuinely has me excited. More JoJo's Bizarre Adventure can only be a good thing! :D

Joker Game

Genre: Historical, Military, Seinen

Animation Studio: Production I.G

Seiyuu: Shimono Hiro, Seki Tomokazu, Horiuchi Ken`yuu

Director: Nomura Kazuya (Sengoku Basara Ni, Robotics;Notes)

Quote:

In the year 1937 on the eve of World War II, Lieutenant Colonel Yuuki of the Imperial Japanese Army forms the D Agency, an army intelligence outfit under his command and tutelage. Army General Staff attaches Lieutenant Sakuma to observe the unit's performance. D Agency casts a wide net to find agents beyond Japanese military personnel, and Yuuki establishes D Agency's tenets, which go against IJA doctrine: "Don't kill, don't get killed, don't get captured". With this, Yuuki trains a team of operatives who conduct missions against domestic and foreign powers.

...And here's the second series this season that looks amazing. A WWII-era spy show with Production I.G's usually high production standards? Yes please!

Kaitou Joker 3

Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Mystery

Animation Studio: Shin-Ei Animation

Seiyuu: Murase Ayumu, Shimono Hiro, Sawashiro Miyuki

Director: Teramoto Yukiyo (Kaitou Joker, Kaitou Joker 2)

Quote:

Third season of Kaitou Joker series.

The thief Mysterious Joker doesn't just steal things. An audacious and elusive miracle-maker, he travels the world searching for treasure with his partner and cook Hachi. As they circle the globe, they must avoid traps set by the police and compete in various competitions to reach their final goal, the Timeslip Treasure.

Ah, Kaitou Joker. Mildly amusing, but nothing special. I have watched both previous series, and would be up for watching a third, but only if there's a shortage of other, really stand-out shows.

Kamiwaza Wanda

Genre: Sci-Fi

Animation Studio: TMS Entertainment

Japanese Airdate: Apr 16, 2016

Seiyuu: Yamaguchi Kappei, Kokuryu Sachi, Katou Emiri

Director: Hashimoto Mitsuo (Bakuten Shoot Beyblade G Revolution, Bakugan Battle Brawlers)

Quote:

In a world where everything is programmed and operated by mysterious monsters called Promin, all troubles (bugs) that happen around are caused by Bugmin, bugged Promin. With the help of space dog Wanda, a boy named Yuuto tries to catch as many Bugmin as possible before serious consequences emerge.

While old franchises are being rebooted en-masse, a new challenger appears! At least, I assume this series is going to want to sell kids something, with Takara Tomy involved. Probably collectable Promin and Bugmin. Anyway, looks nice enough, but I'm a bit too old for it.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096

Genre: Action, Drama, Mecha

Animation Studio: Sunrise

Seiyuu: Uchiyama Kouki, Ikeda Shuuichi, Fujimura Ayumi

Director: Furuhashi Kazuhiro (Binchou-tan, Le Chevalier D'Eon)

Quote:

U.C. 0096. Three years after Char’s rebellion, Banagher Links, a boy who lives on the manufacturing colony Industrial 7, meets a mysterious girl named Audrey Burne. She claims to seek to prevent a potential war by interfering with the transfer of “Laplace's Box” from the Vist Foundation to a Neo Zeon remnant group known as the “Sleeves”.

This is a TV airing of the Gundam Unicorn OVA series – I haven't watched that, so will gladly take it in TV-sized portions with the occasional extra scene or two! :D Should make a nice replacement for Iron-Blooded Orphans, and a nice rival for Macross Δ.

Kiznaiver

Genre: Sci-fi

Animation Studio: Trigger

Japanese Airdate: Apr 9, 2016

Seiyuu: Kaji Yuuki, Terasaki Yuka, Maeno Tomoaki

Director: Kobayashi Hiroshi (Kimi no Iru Machi: Tasogare Kousaten )

Quote:

The Kizuna System is an incomplete system for the implementation of world peace that connects people through wounds. Those connected to this system are called Kiznaivers, and when one is wounded, the system divides and transmits the wound among the other Kiznaivers.

In Sugomori City, a Japanese city built on reclaimed land and with decreasing population, Sonozaki Noriko tells her classmate Agata Katsuhira: "You have been selected to be a Kiznaiver." Thus, he becomes connected to classmates whose lives and personalities completely differ from his.

A really intriguing idea for a series, as expected for an original work from Trigger! I can think of a lot of interesting ways in which such a system could go wrong...

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri

Genre: Steampunk, Action, Shounen

Animation Studio: Wit Studio

Japanese Airdate: Apr 8, 2016

Seiyuu: Hatanaka Tasuku, Senbongi Sayaka, Uchida Maaya

Director: Araki Tetsurou (Death Note, Shingeki no Kyojin)

Quote:

As the world goes through the middle of an industrial revolution, a monster appears that cannot be defeated unless its heart, which is protected by a layer of iron, is pierced. By infecting humans with its bite, the monster can create aggressive and undead creatures known as Kabane.

On the island Hinomoto, located in the far east, people have built stations to shelter themselves from these creatures. People access the station, as well as transport wares between them, with the help of a locomotive running on steam, called Hayajiro. Ikoma, a boy who lives in the Aragane Station and helps to build Hayajiro, creates his own weapon called Tsuranuki Zutsu in order to defeat the creatures.

One day, as Ikoma waits for an opportunity to use his weapon, he meets a girl named Mumei, who is excused from the mandatory Kabane inspection. During the night, Ikoma meets Mumei again as he sees Hayajiro going out of control. The staff on the locomotive has turned into the creatures. The station, now under attack by Kabane, is the opportunity Ikoma has been looking for.

From the staff and studio that brought us Attack on Titan comes a very similar looking series indeed... meh, I'm not complaining. The action scenes should be great, I like the early industrial/steampunk technology, and maybe it'll turn out to be less of a copycat than it looks?

Show more