2016-01-08

By 2040 almost 70% of couples will attribute their meeting to online

Follow

53 minutes ago
53m ago

Hi everyone,

So there has been some research done that said that communicating and flirting online can feel like less of a risk than approaching someone in person. No suprises there, especially to us lot that use forums etc.

However apparently the variety of different types of platforms helps people feel braver to flirt with other people. An example I can think of is back in the day when Habbo Hotel used to be used with my group of friends, my friend ended up becoming really good friends with a boy and met him (with her parents as she was younger) in Blackpool. (We're from Scotland). Obviously things like this wouldn't have been possibly back in the day.

So what do you think, is this a change for the better or is more traditional methods such as "through a friends" a better way to flirt?

"resources if anyone is interested

Ellison, N., Heino, R., & Gibbs, J. (2006). Managing impressions online: Self‐presentation processes in the online dating environment. Journal of Computer‐Mediated Communication, 11(2), 415-441.Finkel, E. J., Eastwick, P. W., Karney, B. R., Reis, H. T., & Sprecher, S. (2012). Online Dating A Critical Analysis From the Perspective of Psychological Science. Psychological Science in the Public Interest, 13(1), 3-66.

Show more