2014-06-02

[URGENTLY NEED HELP] Personal Statement for MSc Finance in WBS

2 hours ago
2h ago

Hi everyone,

I am an international student from Indonesia and I am planning to apply for MSc Finance in WBS this September. I know its already a tight schedule so I really need to finish it this week.

I want to use my degree for managing a company, not working in banks or investment company. Would a MSc Finance still applicable for me? Would my reasons hurt my statement of purpose in my application?

I really appreciate if you could advise on my personal statement below. BIG THANKS in advance!!

• Why have you selected this course? What are your motivating factors?

• What are your areas of interest within the course?

• What contributions do you feel you can make to the course?

• How do you see the course affecting your career plans?

• What evidence of research or reading in this area can you show?

PERSONAL STATEMENT

University of Warwick

Finance plays a large role in determining a company’s strategic business direction that’s vital to the future performance of the company. I have read an article before saying “strategy and finance should be like two sides of a coin—inseparable”, which I find truly inspiring and fully agree. My experience taught me that the ability to manage funds and maximize the value of money is indispensable to executive managers and business owners. As a future leader who will inherit a family company, I believe that continuing my study to deepen my grounding in technical finance will help me the most in facing this world’s economic uncertainty.

My passion for finance peaked when I did my first working experience after I graduated. Taking financial management as major in my bachelor’s degree inspired me to apply Finance Management Trainee Program—which is called [job title]—in [company] that intensively prepares fresh graduates to achieve managerial qualities in their designated department. I was placed in Business Performance function, Corporate Controller division, which is responsible of the financial reporting and analysis on corporate level. Beside daily jobs, as an [job title], I was expected to excel in leadership and innovation where I expressed by managing financial projects. My first project in forecast alignment system made me realize how rigorous and important the process is as we need to understand the variables that affect our predictions and prepare to mitigate future risk by allocating funds or creating more efficiency. On the Finance Business Partner for HR project, my role is to build a financial HR reporting deck which analyzes the effectiveness of our FTEs. My experience in these projects makes me realize that finance can’t only act as a steward and operator, but also as a strategist to influence the future direction of the company and as a catalyst to stimulate business improvements that add value to the company.

Nowadays, I act as a Finance Manager in my family company, [company] and [company], which imported raw material and produced synthetic dye products for Indonesian customers. These companies still used manual procedures in its process and still lack the knowledge to process complex financial risk and information in order to improve decision-making and strategic planning. When I finished my study, I will renew the basic of the company financial system and framework by utilizing my upgraded knowledge.

Taking MSc Finance programme at University of Warwick interest me the most because it offers practical and concentrated modules like Financial Reporting and Financial Statement. It also offers International Financial Market Analysis module which focused on foreign exchange market study that is currently a big issue in Indonesia due to Indonesia’s political instability regarding this year’s presidential election. Those two elective modules above stands out for me and rarely seen in other universities. Of course, I also look forward to learn Corporate Finance module for properly create financing decisions in a company.

I understand that some of Warwick’s MSc Finance modules relate to econometrics. While I had no econometrics module on my undergraduate courses, I had studied econometrics module at my high school where I had an excellent grade. My high school, [school], is one of the most prestigious school in Indonesia that’s greatly excels in academics, therefore I believe that my study back there will serve as a basic foundation to successfully strive my learning in Warwick.

I have ambition to succeed and I always look forward to develop myself more through other activities. Became a toastmaster club committee, leader in campus organization, and a member of art division in my local church have helped me to shape my personality and interpersonal skills. My perseverance, open minded, and passion have led me to receive three times scholarships in my undergraduate study and a CFO Award in the [company]’s 2013 Annual Conference, less than one year after I joined the company. I believe my experience will contribute in both educationally and environmentally to your university.

The idea of experiencing different culture and environment has long interest me. I am can’t wait to join social communities and activities in Warwick after I joined. As a university with one of the best business school in the world, I have no doubt that continuing my study in Warwick will fulfill my goals and complete me both personally and professionally.

Show more