2013-09-18

Posted by: Kanaka John
on: Today at 12:18 AM

Hi group, I am new to this net work thing. I have been growing orchids since 1963, I guess that makes 1/2 a century. The sad story, for those who haven't heard it on the other forums, several years go, in a winter storm, power outage I froze 95% of my collection of mature plants and 250,0000 paph seedlings, 15years of hybridizing. It was my plan to have a large orchid business in so. cal. So much for that. What I am trying to find is a division of the first FCC/AOS that I got. It was on Paph. Fairrieanum album "Hagee" in 1975. It was turned into black mush with a bunch of other awarded breeding stock. I never really thought about replacing it, I had sold 1/2 the plant to Japan so I thought it was gone from the U.S. with all the new cites regulations. However, about 3 months ago I got a tablet and an email address and discovered that some commercial growers had the plant, antec, oz, klehm and some others. I don't know if the plant is a jinx but each has lost it through fires, pests, and just plain died. So my hunt continues. IF any of you have or know of a piece of this plant Please let me know!! I have already met some wonderful people in my search, some have had direction, others even contacted fellow growers in an attempt to hunt down this little jewel. But so far no success. I found this orchid forum and said one more shot. Thanks for enduring this story and I hope to hear from some of you in the future.

Show more