2013-09-16

Just like the longest shot thread, give some particulars. The title should have read "closest hunting shot". sorry.

I sat under a small pine tree in Avella Pa. after not having seen a deer all morning. There were quite a few shots around me and some were pretty close.

Anyhow, I sat under this pine overlooking a field & had maybe 100 yds of open area in front of me. I was tucked back about 3 or 4 yds away from the edge of the field and noticed the brush/branches in front of me might be a problem.

I got up, took my snips out of the daypack in which I carry the kitchen sink and trimmed some brush/ branches. I turned back to the pine tree, dropped the snips and turned to sit.

There were 3 doe looking at me from about 7 to 9 yds away. My pump .06 was barrel down while we stared at each other. This exact scenario happened at the same tree a year earlier and 2 doe that time laughed all the way to cover.

This year I figured the 2 at the rear would bolt back from where they came. The lead doe was far enough into the clearing that I thought she would run either straight or angle away.

As quickly as I could level the rifle while pressing off the safety and taking the shot, she was in front of me at maybe 8 or 9 yards and had just started to bolt. I hit her right behind the shoulder and momentum maybe carried her another 10 yds. The Nosler ballistic tip, downloaded to 57.5 gr of IMR 4350 did it's job and this, my 3rd deer became a nice round of jerky.

This was the closest shot I ever had.

Show more