2017-02-20

alt.sports.football.pro.miami-dolphins@googlegroups.com

Google Groups



Topic digest
View all topics

As March Approaches... - 12 Updates

Jags - Fins Possible Trade? - 4 Updates

Cameron Wake signed to 2-year extension - 2 Updates

Dolphins poised to make big free-agency splash - 2 Updates

Bob Kraft is Classless and a Cheater - 2 Updates

Dan Marino Reacts - 1 Update

A Hopeful Prediction - 2 Updates

As March Approaches...

J Lunis <lunis.j@gmail.com>: Feb 20 10:30AM -0500

> Just a guess from a guy who doesn't even play a lawyer on TV... I believe that there are incentive bonus clauses. I do not believe there are "failure clauses."

> A contract will probably have a base value and maybe even requirements for good citizenship (no bar fights?) and then triggers for positive accomplishments like making the Pro Bowl or hitting certain milestones.

Someone needs to help me on this. Give me an example of a "failure" clause.

Drumrboy <drumrboy@aol.com>: Feb 20 07:53AM -0800

8:35 AML J Alibi
- show quoted text -
No it is not written in a contract if a player under performs not due to injury he loses money.  There should be a clause that protects a team that the player they are signing will perform and not slack off.

I'm curious, would you work for a company that took back some money they pay you because you had a bad day?

Think about it...

J Lunis <lunis.j@gmail.com>: Feb 20 11:04AM -0500

On 2/20/2017 10:53 AM, Drumrboy wrote:
> No it is not written in a contract if a player under performs not due to injury he loses money. There should be a clause that protects a team that the player they are signing will perform and not slack off.

> I'm curious, would you work for a company that took back some money they pay you because you had a bad day?

> Think about it...

Here is my problem with "failure" clauses. Let's take an average
receiver corps with the top guy getting 68 receptions and 8 TDs. Signs
a contract with a failure clause defining "failure" as less that 50
catches and 6 TDs. The team drafts OBJ or Landry and the guy's
receptions drop to 44 and 5 TDs. Did he "fail" or did he play well but
the new guy played lights out? Ajayi signs a contract with a "failure"
clause that kicks in at less than 750 yds/season and less than 4ypc.
Pouncey/Albert/James miss 8 games each and Miami brings back D Thomas
and Colombo. Are Ajayi's lower numbers HIS failure or that of the OL?
I just can't seem to get a good sense of "failure?"

L J Alibi <ljmaxx51@gmail.com>: Feb 20 10:02AM -0800

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 10:53:43 AM UTC-5, Drumrboy wrote:
> No it is not written in a contract if a player under performs not due to injury he loses money.  There should be a clause that protects a team that the player they are signing will perform and not slack off.

> I'm curious, would you work for a company that took back some money they pay you because you had a bad day?

> Think about it...
No I would not but then again if I received a raise because of my work ethic and after the raise I slacked off then I would expect a demotion and adjustment of salary. Unfortunately the players are signing guaranteed contracts for X amount of years. If their production falls off from their contract year shouldn't they be held accountable if the relapse is the players fault and no one else's?

L J Alibi <ljmaxx51@gmail.com>: Feb 20 10:06AM -0800

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 11:04:03 AM UTC-5, J Lunis wrote:
> Pouncey/Albert/James miss 8 games each and Miami brings back D Thomas
> and Colombo. Are Ajayi's lower numbers HIS failure or that of the OL?
> I just can't seem to get a good sense of "failure?"

Not based on amount of catches rather percentages. If said receiver had a 85% catch rate in his contract year then drops to 60% should he not be held accountable?

I posted in this NG years ago suggesting that the team that wins the losing team would forfeit half of their salary to the winning team including coaches. I made that suggestion based on players standing on the sideline laughing and fooling around while their team was getting its ass handed to them.

"euphemism@mindspring.com" <euphemism@mindspring.com>: Feb 20 10:15AM -0800

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 12:02:05 PM UTC-6, L J Alibi wrote:

> > I'm curious, would you work for a company that took back some money they pay you because you had a bad day?

> > Think about it...
> No I would not but then again if I received a raise because of my work ethic and after the raise I slacked off then I would expect a demotion and adjustment of salary. Unfortunately the players are signing guaranteed contracts for X amount of years. If their production falls off from their contract year shouldn't they be held accountable if the relapse is the players fault and no one else's?

The contracts you guys are discussing may have all sorts of conditions or clauses, but the stars get those guaranteed portions that probably aren't going away even if they are convicted of murder. We could ask Hernandez about that...

Incentive bonuses are sprinkled into a lot of deals. There are ironclad criteria that will trigger a bonus.

I have never heard of "penalty" bonuses where a player loses money from their base pay.

You got your base salary, signing bonuses, workout bonuses, roster bonuses, performance bonuses, Pro Bowl bonuses....

Penalties? No, I do not think so... except for clauses that allow the team to void a contract and some instances where they retain a player's rights but don't have to pay them. Dion Jordan is an example. Ricky Williams also was subject to those sorts of clauses.

mr.hvac@gmail.com: Feb 20 11:27AM -0800

euph...@mindspring.com
If Stills continues at his 2016 level, he's worthy... it was a contract year performance. Someone knows what he will do after he gets that big payday?

I'm sure I don't know
-----------

The Patriots receiver Danny Amendola was a star in the last two Superbowl appearances. Caught touchdown passes in both games. The Patriots want him to take a pay cut or they release him. He's making about 4-5 million now.

It's a cutthroat business

mr.hvac@gmail.com: Feb 20 11:32AM -0800

euph...@mindspring.com
- show quoted text -
The contracts you guys are discussing may have all sorts of conditions or clauses, but the stars get those guaranteed portions that probably aren't going away even if they are convicted of murder. We could ask Hernandez about that...

Incentive bonuses are sprinkled into a lot of deals. There are ironclad criteria that will trigger a bonus.

I have never heard of "penalty" bonuses where a player loses money from their base pay.

You got your base salary, signing bonuses, workout bonuses, roster bonuses, performance bonuses, Pro Bowl bonuses....

Penalties? No, I do not think so... except for clauses that allow the team to void a contract and some instances where they retain a player's rights but don't have to pay them. Dion Jordan is an example. Ricky Williams also was subject to those sorts of clauses.
-------------

And that is why the Jets will now be able to get out of the remainder of Revis' contract. Tho he got most of his money up front.

'Conduct detrimental to the team'

J Lunis <lunis.j@gmail.com>: Feb 20 02:43PM -0500

On 2/20/2017 1:06 PM, L J Alibi wrote:
>> I just can't seem to get a good sense of "failure?"

> Not based on amount of catches rather percentages. If said receiver had a 85% catch rate in his contract year then drops to 60% should he not be held accountable?

> I posted in this NG years ago suggesting that the team that wins the losing team would forfeit half of their salary to the winning team including coaches. I made that suggestion based on players standing on the sideline laughing and fooling around while their team was getting its ass handed to them.

I'm presuming you mean 85% of catch-able balls. Has some gray area but
I see your point. Now, on to blocking, route-running, "effort," getting
open, and a host of others.

Drumrboy <drumrboy@aol.com>: Feb 20 12:07PM -0800

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 11:04:03 AM UTC-5, J Lunis wrote:
> Pouncey/Albert/James miss 8 games each and Miami brings back D Thomas
> and Colombo. Are Ajayi's lower numbers HIS failure or that of the OL?
> I just can't seem to get a good sense of "failure?"

First (and last) of all… NOBODY is going to sign a "failure" clause. MAINLY because that clause will never stand up in a court of law, IT'S ILLEGAL…

J Lunis <lunis.j@gmail.com>: Feb 20 03:55PM -0500

On 2/20/2017 3:07 PM, Drumrboy wrote:
>> and Colombo. Are Ajayi's lower numbers HIS failure or that of the OL?
>> I just can't seem to get a good sense of "failure?"

> First (and last) of all… NOBODY is going to sign a "failure" clause. MAINLY because that clause will never stand up in a court of law, IT'S ILLEGAL…

You are likely right in sports, but "failure" clauses (i.e., contract
noncompliance) are common in business and government.

euphemism <euphemism@mindspring.com>: Feb 20 05:55PM -0600

> -------------

> And that is why the Jets will now be able to get out of the remainder of Revis' contract. Tho he got most of his money up front.

> 'Conduct detrimental to the team'

Revis was reportedly gone before there were any DV concerns. I get that
the Pats would use that DV story as an excuse to confiscate nny
recoverable monies... that's just how Kraft rolls. I'd bet we won't see
that from the Jets.

Back to top

Jags - Fins Possible Trade?

mr.hvac@gmail.com: Feb 20 11:15AM -0800

Drumrboy
Feb 19euph...@mindspring.com
They are looking to trade a guy they planned to release.

Yes, because they are so stacked at OL they can throw away a guy for someone else's trash.
-----------

Yet Euph think my idea of drafting an O lineman in the first round is stupid.

He's a football genius

Drumrboy <drumrboy@aol.com>: Feb 20 11:56AM -0800

> Yes, because they are so stacked at OL they can throw away a guy for someone else's trash.
> -----------

> Yet Euph think my idea of drafting an O lineman in the first round is stupid.

It IS stupid, Moron.

euphemism <euphemism@mindspring.com>: Feb 20 05:45PM -0600

> -----------

> Yet Euph think my idea of drafting an O lineman in the first round is stupid.

> He's a football genius

You have managed to lie about me - what a surprise from a Patriots fan!

euphemism <euphemism@mindspring.com>: Feb 20 05:49PM -0600

On 2/20/2017 5:59 AM, Drumrboy wrote:
> Feb 19euph...@mindspring.com
> They are looking to trade a guy they planned to release.

> Yes, because they are so stacked at OL they can throw away a guy for someone else's trash.

Okay, so what is your move? Do they keep Albert and pay him over $10M?
I agree that the guy is good, but he's old and expensive.

Is your objection to having him leave at all?

Back to top

Cameron Wake signed to 2-year extension

mr.hvac@gmail.com: Feb 20 11:22AM -0800

Drumrboy
2:02 PMmr....@gmail.com
euph...@mindspring.com
- show quoted text -
----------

The loyalty is to the team. Not individual players. It's all a matter of value. Brady is making around 16 million. He could be making 26.

His price is down is because he can't cheat the way he does now on another team.
----------

Last year in preparation for his suspension, the Patriots redid Brady contact. It called for 1 million for the 2016 season. The reason is because they pay per game. And 4 games is 25% of the season. That way Brady only lost $250,000.

It is also rumored that Brady is getting a slice of the Patriots team ownership. Of course this cannot be said publicly because it's against the rules.

You mad Dumboy?

euphemism <euphemism@mindspring.com>: Feb 20 05:44PM -0600

> Last year in preparation for his suspension, the Patriots redid Brady contact. It called for 1 million for the 2016 season. The reason is because they pay per game. And 4 games is 25% of the season. That way Brady only lost $250,000.

> It is also rumored that Brady is getting a slice of the Patriots team ownership. Of course this cannot be said publicly because it's against the rules.

> You mad Dumboy?

Well, I hope if it proves that Brady has been promised something in
return for agreeing to a cheap contract - essentially cheating on the
salary cap - that Kraft is forced to sell the franchise.

I find the suggestion that Kraft would do something like that to be
completely consistent with the total lack of character that permeates
that entire organization. Glad you are the one who pointed it out.
That way it's not the Dolphins fans "obsessing" on the way your fucked
up team cheats on every level.

You mad, dumbass?

Back to top

Dolphins poised to make big free-agency splash

J Lunis <lunis.j@gmail.com>: Feb 20 04:11PM -0500

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000786740/article/dolphins-poised-to-make-big-splash-in-free-agency

<snipped>
"From what I understand, I would not be surprised if they make a pretty
big splash," NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport said on Monday's edition
of Good Morning Football.

"Maybe a big-time defensive tackle, Brandon Williams would be a name to
consider there. Maybe a cornerback. If they can acquire a top-notch one,
that was an issue last year as well."

[And this kinda surprised me . . . ]

"Featuring a talented young wide receiver corps, a tackle-breaking
workhorse back (Jay Ajayi), an improving quarterback (Ryan Tannehill)
and an overhauled blocking unit, the offense is already playoff-caliber."

euphemism <euphemism@mindspring.com>: Feb 20 05:29PM -0600

On 2/20/2017 3:11 PM, J Lunis wrote:

> "Featuring a talented young wide receiver corps, a tackle-breaking
> workhorse back (Jay Ajayi), an improving quarterback (Ryan Tannehill)
> and an overhauled blocking unit, the offense is already playoff-caliber."

Recall that I referred to our GM as "Splash" Tannenbaum?

Getting Zeitler is pretty splashy, too.

Back to top

Bob Kraft is Classless and a Cheater

"euphemism@mindspring.com" <euphemism@mindspring.com>: Feb 20 10:30AM -0800


http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/02/08/colin-cowherd-patriots-matt-patricia-will-regret-his-roger-goodell-clown-shirt.html

February‎ ‎11‎, ‎2017

New England Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia wore a T-shirt depicting Roger Goodell as a clown following his team's 34-28 Super Bowl 51 triumph over the Atlanta Falcons at Houston's NRG Stadium, and the NFL commissioner reportedly wasn't thrilled with the clothing choice.

"The T-shirt really bothered him," an ownership source told CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora. "The fact that [Patriots owner Robert] Kraft didn't stop him from wearing that ticked some people off, but did they really think he's going to protect Goodell after all of this?"

NBC Boston's Nick Emmons relayed a photo of Patricia donning the shirt that drew Goodell's ire:

The Patriots' displeasure with Goodell stems from the Deflategate scandal, which resulted in quarterback Tom Brady's four-game suspension at the start of the 2016 season.

Those feelings of animosity appeared to translate to the postgame podium at the Super Bowl when Kraft seemed to reference Brady's league-imposed punishment.

"Two years ago, we won our fourth Super Bowl down in Arizona, and I told our fans that was the sweetest one of all," he said, per Pro Football Talk's Josh Alper. "But a lot has transpired over the last two years, and I don't think that needs any explanation. I want to say to our fans, brilliant coaching staff and players who are so spectacular, this is unequivocally the sweetest."

Brady also got in on the act at the Patriots parade, when he "rode in a duck boat that was draped in a T-shirt sporting the words, 'Roger that,' along with a picture of five rings," according to the Boston Globe's Jaclyn Reiss.

Looking ahead, it doesn't appear as though there's an end in sight to New England's feud with the league office.

According to La Canfora, Kraft has a "particular ire for league counsel Jeff Pash" that "has by no means subsided" after he played a prominent role in the league's investigation.

"Robert still wants Pash out," an ownership source told La Canfora. "The only way there will ever be a full reconnect between the Patriots and Goodell is if Pash was no longer there."

Drumrboy <drumrboy@aol.com>: Feb 20 11:55AM -0800

> ‎
> "Robert still wants Pash out," an ownership source told La Canfora. "The only way there will ever be a full reconnect between the Patriots and Goodell is if Pash was no longer there."

Oh my… Maybe Pash needs to write a book! LOL!!

Back to top

Dan Marino Reacts

mr.hvac@gmail.com: Feb 20 11:45AM -0800

To getting caught for cheating on his wife.

(Warning: He's mad)

Https://www.google.com/search?q=don+shula+memes&safe=off&client=tablet-android-alco&prmd=insv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-wMjmtZ_SAhUDWCYKHas2CcwQ_AUIBygB&biw=600&bih=1024#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=dan+marino+cheating+on+his+wife+memes&imgrc=x1DKx3T7__yHkM:

Back to top

A Hopeful Prediction

mr.hvac@gmail.com: Feb 20 11:12AM -0800

euph...@mindspring.com
- show quoted text -
Arbitrary are we? Let's just use the first pick on an OL-man. Fuck
wondering whether that's the best use of that pick... whether there's a
worthy OL player available at that spot.

You sniff the fumes off the Pats and think they make you smart.
------------

Wow! Euph is mad

"euphemism@mindspring.com" <euphemism@mindspring.com>: Feb 20 11:22AM -0800

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 7:28:25 PM UTC-6, J Lunis wrote:
> Let's do it this way. Miami's current OGs are Bushrod and unknown. Bottom quarter of the league. Using 2016 salaries, the top of made 13mm. 9th and 11th ranked made 14.5. That's quality play at both positions. And Miami's going De/Lb R1 and R2.

You lost me there...

Take this to the bank: The Dolphins are going to try to re-sign some guys (Stills, Branch, Sims, etc.) and then they are going to go after some FA needs based on where they think the big holes are AND what players are available to plug said holes.

I think Zeitler is going to be on their list and they will try to sign him. Will they succeed? I have no way to predict... but the team WILL do at least one high-profile FA signing and I think Zeitler may be that guy.

To me it makes perfect sense based on what we saw from Ajayi. He is a demon with a head of speed. If I were in charge I'd be looking for ways to make the OL dominant. This offense would be extremely good if they had that dominant offensive line that everybody keeps talking about. I say put your money where your mouth is...

Back to top

You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to alt.sports.football.pro.miami-dolphins+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Show more