2013-10-17

I got this second hand from TBogg (who I didn't know was at RS now):

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...37441269527948

Quote:

James Hancock wanted to meet a woman who shared his core values. But when you're a strict Objectivist, it can be a little tricky.

Mr. Hancock is a proponent of Russian-American author Ayn Rand's philosophy of capitalism and self-interest. At age 30, he had already been "looking for a very specific kind of woman" for three years when Google GOOG -1.03% searches led him to the Atlasphere, an Ayn Rand appreciation site with a dating component.

There, he found his dream date: a woman who also wanted to do logical cost-benefit analyses of every decision.

Quote:

The 10-year-old site has seen a spike in membership in recent years—it has more than 16,000 dating profiles—after two "Atlas Shrugged" movies were released, says Mr. Zader, a Web developer. User handles include "Atlas in Arlington" and "ObjectivelyHot."

Quote:

Mr. Hancock says the couple's shared Objectivist values ensure familial harmony. If their daughter doesn't want to brush her teeth, they both agree that she has to do it. "There's no back-and-forth or 'well, just let her do it this one time,' " he says. "We know that if we don't do this now, it'll be worse later. So that's logic and reason instead of just emotion and inconvenience."

:unsure: Is that last bit objectivist? It arguably is, but what isn't arguably objectivist?

I need to look into this more. If it's free (which it shouldn't be, logically), I'm joining.

Show more