2014-04-02

I cruised the Recipes forum for Ceviche ingredient ideas. To save time for others, below is a compendium of ceviche recipes... pick and choose your favorite ideas and make your own twist on it. My favorite ingredients not mentioned often below are diced avocado esp... or mango or pineapple, fresh ginger. Thanks to Josh for opening my eyes to how awesome ceviche can be.

===============================

It has to marinate in small pieces in lemon juice or lime with a drop of gin or tequila for about an hour.

Then throw away the fluid and season with onions ( red are better, washed in water for 5 minutes ) vinegared capers, oregano, cilantro, dried chili and fresh jalapeno peppers diced, 1 or 2 fresh diced tomatoes, a good olive oil . Add salt at the last minute....lots of toasted bread and of toasts

===============================

Here's a great ceviche recipe.

1 lb of fresh Hogfish – (any white meat fish or shrimp, scallops etc)

1 lg. red onion

6 fresh limes

5 or 6 stalks of celery

4 garlic cloves

2 beefsteak tomatoes

2 cups Clamato Juice

1 jalapeño

Hot sauce of your choice (optional)

Fresh cilantro (to taste)

Box of flat Tostada shells - 6" one's

Lousiana Hot sauce

Cut fish into small chunks making sure to remove any dark meat. If you are using shrimp they must be peeled and deveined first. Spread fish over the bottom of a glass casserole dish. Try to make sure there’s only one layer of fish. Squeeze limes over fish. Be sure all of the fish is coated as this is what will “cook” the fish. If all of the fish isn’t coated, go get more limes. Place dish in fridge for 15 minutes.

Coarsely chop onion, celery and tomatoes.

Finely chop garlic, cilantro and jalapeño.

Remove dish from fridge and stir in onions, pat down to one layer and put back in fridge for another 15 mins.

Remove from fridge again and stir in remaining ingredients using only one or two squirts (or more) of hot sauce.

Chill for a half hour. (You and the dish)

Spoon onto Tostada shell, squirt on a dab of hot sauce and enjoy.

============================================

Recipe from Peru, which is like the birthplace of ceviche...I always thought it was Cuba, but oh well!!

Ingredients

2 pounds white fish fillet (preferably sea bass), cut into small pieces

¼ cup fresh lime juice (or more, if needed)

2 onions, thinly sliced

1 Tablespoon olive oil

1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 to 2 chilies, finely chopped

Black pepper

1 teaspoon salt

Procedure

Mix the lime juice with the onion slices, oil, cilantro, garlic, chilies, pepper, and salt in a mixing bowl.

Place the fish in a shallow glass or ceramic dish just large enough to hold it in a single layer. Pour the lime-juice mixture over it. The fish must be completely covered with the mixture. Add more lime juice if necessary.

Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours (or overnight) until the fish is "soft cooked." (Make certain it has marinated long enough.) Serve on lettuce leaves garnished with onion rings, thin strips of pepper, and sweet potatoes and/or corn on the cob.

any kind of fish or shellfish cut into small pieces

===========================================

- fresh garlic

- sweet onion

- nice red tomatoes

- jalepenao pepper ( or a GOOD hotsauce -NOT tobassco or Red Hott)

- cilantro

- fresh limes

- olive oil

- salt/pepper

fish:

any kind of tasty white fish, cut into small chunks so that it "cooks" faster. amount depends on the total amount you want to make. i find that a mix of 3cups of fish and 3cups of salsa makes a good proprortion and enough to feed 4 or 5 hungry guys.

put the fish chunks in a bowl and squeeze fresh limes over it. i use about 2 limes per cup of fish. add a good amount of salt, and if you want a clove or 2 of garlic.

note: the salt and garlic are optional, best done if making it at home, but i usually make the salsa at home and do the fish on the boat with FRESH fish...i mean still flipping! so i don't have those ingredients handy.

salsa:

take the seeds out of the tomatoes as best you can, just squeeze them over the garbage, this prevents too much liquid in the salsa. dice them as fine as you can get them. finely dice the onion and add to the tomatoes. i find a 50/50 mix of tomatoes to onion works great. if you like less onion...alter to your taste. FINELY mince the jalapeno pepper (don't touch your eyes after) and add it. i find a single large pepper works good for a 6cp batch of ceviche. if you use hot-sauce instead of the pepper, make sure it's a GOOD sauce. not some vinegary crap like Tobasco. the Ring of Fire Hot Sauce is my favorite.

dice up fresh cilantro, a good amount. some people don't like cilantro so adjust it to your taste. i usually do about a half handfull, add some and mix it all together then let it set and the flavors mix before adjusting it. and add a clove or 2 or fresh garlic and add to the mix. squeeze one fresh lime over the mixture and drizzle a little olive oil, maybe 2 tblspoons or so, and add a good pinch of salt and black pepper. mix well and let it set in the cooler or fridge for a few hours to mix all the flavors. shake or stir occasionally.

when the fish has "cooked" draiin off the juice and add it to the salsa. stir it toghether and for best taste let it sit for 20 or 30 mins to let the salsa flavor penetrate the fish.

i like to enjoy it with Saltine crackers...not the generic shit...the real stuff...trust me it makes a difference. or a nice hearty tortilla chip.

=============================================

other great ideas

fish tacos:

make the ceviche the same, but cut the fish into larger chunks, or stripes...you'll probably have to let it "cook" longer. make sure to use a strainer spoon to scoop the ceviche out so that it isn't too liquidy. throw it into a soft tortilla shell and wrap it up. add grated cheddar if you want or some pepper-jack for more heat.

other ingredients

things i've found good in the ceviche are green or red peppers for a little crunch, or a seedless cucumber for texture. and if you find normal onions a bit too strong, cut the amount in half and add a good helping of diced green onions.

try adding some diced cucumber to the mix.

Serano chiles have a much better flavor than jalepenos do. About a cup of Clamato also goes well if you drain the juice off before serving. I like the ceviche much better if all of the ingredients are mixed before adding the lime.

Keez is right on the money about the proportions though. 1:1 on tomatoes and onions and 1:1 on vegetables to fish. I like to use white onion as a base, as it has more flavor, and use the red or sweet onions for color, and of course to tone down the bite of white onion and garlic, which I always use.

Key limes have more acidity than regular limes and will cook the fish faster and won't require so many limes. Salt is a key ingredient! You wouldn't dare shoot tequila and lime without salt, would you?!!

Great "utensil" >>> I like to use the Tostistos white corn "scoops" to eat the ceviche with. Traditionally, ceviche is served on a tostada, but that can turn into a big mess real fast. The scoops allow one to dip into the bowl without having to use utensils or having the tostada falling apart after the first bite. The corn totillas have a much better flavor with ceviche than crackers do, IMO. Of course, no ceviche is really good unless enjoyed with an ice cold cerveza! Pacifico happens to be my favorite!

=======================================

Tried going 'islander' a bit, and added some Mango and Pineapple.

I wanted to post a quick step by step tutorial to make one of my favorite appetizers “ceviche”

It’s a perfect lunch for your diving day , very simple , and leaves you feeling satisfied , not full and lethargic

Ingredients youll need

Tomatoes = it really makes a difference if you get sweet Beefy tomatoes , are local roadside fruit stands are a great place to score great produce , its allot cleaner then the stuff the call “ organic” at Vons etc

Purple Onion

Cilantro

Lime

Lemon

Sea salt

Red Jalapeño Peppers

Olive Oil

Fresh homemade corn Tortillas or the ones made daily at your local Mexican market

Peanut Oil

Fruete avocado

Step one

Start with 2 Bowls one to mix the veggies & the second for the fish

2., Heat the Peppers on a medium heat with a little olive oil , heat them until the skin burns

You can remove the burnt skin or leave a little for a little smokey flavor

If you cant find mild red jalapeño , make sure to de-vine and remove all seeds ,

3, Cut your tomatoes in half and remove all the seeds and gooey stuff

4 chop all your veggies and set them in a strainer

5 cut your fish , make the cut like you would for poke

6 Salt the fish , sprinkle a generous amount of sea salt , let it stay in the salt for a good 10 mins to get it nice and firm

7 place the fish in a separate bowl

8 add the Lemon and lime to the fish stir for a good 3 mins , I like to use 2 Limes for every lemon

Let the fish stay in the lime for 15 mins

9 Strain the lemon /lime from the fish ,,,,

10 Mix every thing together

11, make some home made tostadas = very easy just deep fry your corn tortillas in peanut oil

untill there nice and crispy

12. Serve it up with a little Fresh Furete avocado on top , crack open a ice cold pacifico , and MANGIA

Attached Thumbnails

===============================================

½ inch x ½ inch cubed fresh fish meat . I used striper but would like to try black sea bass and trigger.

1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice

1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (optional)

Put these ingredients together in the fridge for 5 hours or more

Ring out most of the juices

Chop ½ red onion diced small

fresh garlic clove smashed and sliced

Chop one fresh tomato

Small amount of fresh parsley

Salt/pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and chill for a couple hours or overnight.

Serve as is or with chips or a taco

Ultimate Ceviche

Meats: 1 lb. Calico bass, 2 lb. Sheephead, 1/2 octopus, 10 scallops, 1 lb. shrimp. (Boiled the shrimp and octopus)

Juices: Tangerine, orange, lime, lemon.

Vegetables: Onion, cilantro, tomatoes, pasillo chili, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, tomatillo, cucumber, mango.

Sauces/spices: Garlic salt, sea salt, pepper, ketchup, tapatio.

Show more