2014-05-06

Rogers school's suspension of Reid Sagehorn for Twitter joke sparks Asked on Twitter about a rumor he'd been seen making out with a teacher, Rogers High School senior Reid Sagehorn jokingly replied with something to the effect of,geox scarpe uomo, "Actually, yes." SEE ALSO: Shakopee athlete sues school for suspension over "im boutta drill my 'teammates'" tweet Sagehorn's now deleted tweet wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but Rogers and Elk River Area Schools officials didn't kid around with their response when they learned about it. Sagehorn an honors student, captain of the football and basketball teams,geox on line, and a baseball player ended up being suspended for more than two months, until April 22. Officials have so far been tight lipped about why they thought it appropriate to suspend Sagehorn for so long,giubbotti geox, and voicemails left with the Rogers High School principal and the district superintendent hadn't been returned as this was published. But news of Sagehorn's suspension sparked a FreeReid movement on Twitter,geox stivali, and an online petition entitled "Immediately restore the enrollment of Reid Sagehorn" has been signed by more than 3,000 people as of this morning. Here's a sampling of some of the FreeReid tweets: During the Senior Night basketball game on Friday,giubbotti geox, Rogers students honored their banished team captain by wearing black shirts adorned with Reid's jersey number (3). According to the aforementioned petition,geox negozi, boys players wore freereid on their shoes, and girls players wore the same hashtag on their shirts:As the petition explains,geox scarpe, the situation should get more interesting tomorrow night. "The damage that has already been done by Reid's punishment cannot be taken back, but you can help prevent any further harm to Reid's present and future," it says. "All are urged to attend the ISD 728 school board meeting on Tuesday, February 18 at Elk River High School Community Room 105,geox negozi, 7:00 PM." We've reached out to Sagehorn himself for comment and will update if we hear back from him. If it didn't happen at school or a school funded website, punishment should not be at school. Perhaps the teacher could suffer damages,scarpe geox uomo, perhaps they could even equal the damage this kid has already suffered due to this premature stupidity on the police and school's part? If you think that what the courts will do isn't enough call your congressman and suggest he/she support laws that change that,geox torino, cause all this BS is just robbing our freedoms we are provided by the constitution. And honestly IMO any"Educator" commenting on this on a public forumwhen NONE of us has the ability to see the tweets or know what did or did not happen is doing something twice as stupid as what Reid is being accused of. Just anotherexample of the "Doing this will ruin your life,geox scarpe uomo, and if it doesn't. we'll ruin it for you" society we are turning into. I know how much this Ask site has bullied and harmed students to a point of attempted suicide, and the school does nothing. This child had things said about him and he responded the only way he knew how to try to end it. This may have been the wrong approach but in no way calls for the excessive treatment he has received. A 5 day suspension is more than enough,geox catalogo, anything more I see as bullying the child victim even more. Action should be taken towards that site not the child. I hope that the district realizes that keeping this course of action will only lead to everyone losing. What's most upsetting about this is the policing of our speech done through social media. Context is everything, and yes, we DO need a sarcasm font,geox sneakers, if not just to protect teenagers from the a DOLTS in charge of them. If there's no evidence of any wrongdoing outside of an inflammatory comment made on facebook or twitter, a comment made by a KID. what are we doing? Welcome to 1984. The Thought Police are here in a way we never could have imagined and we invited them in. Everyone has an opinion,geox negozi, which is exactly what our free speech allows. All I ask is that before making a judgement consider this. Either you are currently a teenager, or you were once were one. Do you remember ever doing or saying something without really thinking it through? Of course you did and grown adults still make these very same mistakes daily. This issue is about a 17 year old KID. He was responding to a rumor/gossip that he did not start. This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he is popular and a successful student and athlete. It just happened to happen to him. Before you judge, take a good look at yourself or your children and consider how easily this could be you. All the freereid is asking is that proper perspective be given to his offense. He has suffered enough and has already paid a price far graver than his actions deserved. Let those that have never responded to a tweet, facebook,geox online, email, text, voicemail or snailmail cast the first stone. This is the quote from the article, and since he deleted the tweet (never a good action, as it makes it seem like there is something hide) is: "Asked on Twitter about a rumor he'd been seen making out with a teacher,giubbotti geox, Rogers High School senior Reid Sagehorn jokingly replied with something to the effect of,geox sneakers, "Actually, yes."" What in "Actually,geox bambini, yes" seems like sarcasm, or a denial? Since there is no way to read sarcasm (or his actual tweet that i'm aware of), that looks like a statement of fact. Child abuse (even if you don't think he's a child,geox online, he is under age i believe,scarpe geox, and even if he is of age, teacher student relations are a big broach of conduct), is a serious issue. What if one of the less popular kids did the exact same thing? Would any of the people rallying to his defense do the same? I doubt it. I don't know how he reacted when he got in trouble,geox bambini, but the behavior of his supporters in this thread shows a lack of realizing that of all things to joke about,geox uomo, this isn't one of them. If he had shown remorse or empathy that essentially saying he made out with a teacher,geox on line, and if his supporters weren't telling people who disagree with him to "drop dead", i might feel bad for him. As it is,stivali geox, his punishment isn't looking too severe to me. Fake post or not, a student should NOT answer "yes" to a post like that. The admin does not think he actually did it, his response is extremely disrespectful and could be damaging to the teacher's career. The original poster is clearly also at fault and they deserve consequences as well, but this kid had a lot of other options than to respond to an UNTRUE post with "yes,saldi geox, actually." He deserves a consequence for being a smart alec. Two months is a little harsh, but I think the admin needs to make a point that behavior/comments like that will not and should not be tolerated. If a teacher had responded like that,geox donna, they would lose their job. I see several posts saying that students are warned about posting things on social media because there could be ramifications and that Reid knew that. So,geox shop online, I ponder this . . . . What if this had happened in the crowded gym at one of his games, not on social media? What if someone at the game had yelled, "Hey Reid,scarpe geox bambina, was it fun making with with Miss Jones?" and Reid had turned and responded, "Oh yeah, just fabulous" while laughing and shaking his head. Let's assume some parents heard it and called the school administration to tell them. Would we will be having this conversation? Because I"m pretty sure a kid has the right to answer a comment that his thrown his way without worrying about recourse from the school administration. What if he had been walking in a hallway and someone yelled, "Hey Sagehorn, Miss Jones said you were the hottest guy she ever made out with!" and Reid yelled back, "Yeah, it was phenomenal!", would he have been suspended if the principal overheard it? The bottom line is there was no exchange between Reid and the teacher, nothing going on. Sure, it's bad news to joke about relations between a student and teacher, but isn't this kid allowed to make a lighthearted response to a ridiculous statement lobbed in his direction? Because he answered sarcastically, he's suspended for three months? Is this worse because it happened on the almighty twitter rather than being shouted at a game or in a hallway? http://www.takafulgov.com/vb/showthr...304#post453304 http://www.takafulgov.com/vb/showthr...303#post453303 http://www.sportbikes.net/archives/f...14#post4236714 http://www.pradochina.com/bbs/boke.a...pic.36294.html http://michaellitvak.com/blog/2014/0...a-spongebobia/ http://www.paradisoinn.sr/guestbook/...hp?entry=36807 http://www.designerlove.com/ken333/p...ew/australia1/

Show more