2014-08-03

I have finally finished my kitchen cabinets (almost anyway). I built a new house and part of the build I made my own kitchen cabinets. This has been a two year process as I sold my other house, moved, built a new workshop. Cabinet parts were in storage two different times. The last year I have been building and running my shop off a generator and an extension cord from my neighbor. I now have full electric in my shop. Moved into to the house a week ago. The kitchen cabinets are African Mahogany. I got the wood from Rockler when they had a wood of the month for $3.25 bf. I think I bought 300bf and used it all. 3/4 pre-finished ply where possible and African Mahogany ply where necessary. Blum soft close for hardware. The stain was ZAR brand mixture. I used gloss polyurethane first coat followed by satin polyurethane. The lower cabinets are mostly drawers except for the speciality mixer lift, cutting board and blind cabinet. I still need to install the LED under counter and upper cabinet lights. The painted cabinets are the laundry/pantry cabinets. They are made of soft maple and maple ply (I was initially going to stain them). The large cabinet (6'X8') has four pull outs each side. My cost for all the cabinets was around $9,000 which included a new Supermax 19-38 drum sander, new Ceros sander, and used MM FS 35 14 inch jointer/planer, Incra router table fence and new router lift. Not sure what this would have cost to buy as this is a lot of custom, but decided to reward myself with a new SawStop, two new Worlds Best saw blades, and the Infinity SawStop insert. The sad news is I bought the saw in April and still have not plugged it in. Everyone likes the cabinets, but no one except me gives a darn about my saw.

.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Images

image.jpg
(108.7 KB)

image.jpg
(109.7 KB)

image.jpg
(87.5 KB)

image.jpg
(86.2 KB)

image.jpg
(109.7 KB)