2013-11-30

Hi everyone, been lurking for a little while here, first time poster.

Getting ready to start my workbench, which will also be my first woodworking project.

Not aiming for anything too fancy - Dimensions will be 34" tall, 28" wide, and 8' long. I'll put in a couple rows of dog holes, leg vise, sliding deadman, and eventually an end vise most likely a twin screw. I splurged on a really nice cabinet saw so I may be waiting till Christmas or later on the vise hardware. I'll be jointing by hand with my only other woodworking tool, a Veritas low angle jack. I'll probably get a couple of decent chisels next. This slope is indeed slippery...

So I went to the borg today and picked up 2 Ford Taurus loads worth of SYP, got out of there for just over $200. I tried to get the best pieces I could but as you can see from the pic some have some knots with ugly voids in them. Should I try to fill them with epoxy before (or after?) I rip the boards or just ignore them? Anyway...wish me luck and any tips you guys have are much appreciated. I'll upload more pics as I progress.

bench lumber.jpg

Attached Images

bench lumber.jpg
(116.4 KB)

Show more