2016-09-06

Tourists ride along Serangoon Rd without helmets – but with baby

http://www.isthatlegit.com/tourists-...but-with-baby/

a day ago
1-5.jpg

A pair of tourists visiting Singapore have caused a controversy after they were photographed riding a scooter along Serangoon Road in Little India without helmets. Crucially, the pair were accompanied by an infant that appears to be between the age of 2-3, who was also helmetless and unrestrained on the vehicle.

A passer-by who was in Little India taking photographs managed to snap a photo of the group as they road down Serangoon Road past a number of jewellery stores. He later posted the photo to social media with the following comments.

“Today I was in Rocher taking photos for a project when I saw a sight that stopped me in my tracks. On busy Serangoon Rd, there was a scooter with two adults and one baby, none of them wearing helmets. I quickly took a photo, but the driver saw me and pulled to a stop in front of me. He started shouting at me, telling me to mind my own business. I told him it was foolish to ride a scooter without a helmet as an adult, and deadly to do so with a baby. He laughed and said it was ‘fine in his country’ before speeding away.”

The photographer’s photo received thousands of comments from Singaporean social media users, with the majority sharing the view that such behaviour was risky and could end in tragedy. Singaporean law dictates that a driver of a motorcycle caught riding without a helmet faces a fine of SG$120 and three demerit points.

2.jpg

In this case, however, the tourist driving the scooter would have incurred a much harsher penalty, considering both the pillon passenger and infant were also not wearing helmets. Unfortunately, the group sped away before the photographer had a chance to contact law enforcement.

Some of the social media users commenting on the photo shared their own stories about encountering tourists in Singapore who rent scooters and motorcycles and break the law by riding helmetless. “I think part of it could be an education thing,” commented one user. “In some other countries, wearing a helmet is either not mandatory, or not policed strictly. When tourists visit Singapore and rent scooters, they rental firm needs to strictly warn them that helmet use is required here.”

Attached Images

1-5.jpg
(155.0 KB)

2.jpg
(109.8 KB)

Show more