2015-07-09

Salutations!

I am seeking 1-4 other players to pour their creative talents into a story inspired by a roleplay I was involved in about a year ago (found here: http://www.roleplaygateway.com/roleplay/...nderground).

Before a get into the plot, let me list some of the canon characters I am seeking

-Jareth of course! And may I add that I would prefer (but it's certainly not necessary) a Goblin King who behaves more like the one in the film. So many people wanna write him to be so...nice, and I don't think it's very befitting. That isn't to say that he can't develop and become a better fella as the story progresses (that's the point isnt it? Characters are supposed to have flaws to improve upon yeah?), but I don't want one of my favorite misunderstood bad boys written up to be some cuddly, boyfriend-material fantasy!

(that's right! This roleplay ain't gonna be centered around a mushy romance...hey,don't click off just yet! There will be plenty of time for some lovey-dovey development, it's just not gonna be the main focus)

Optional

This roleplay is a different sort of story than the one in the film, but I am quite open to a return of the cast of characters

Sarah - My main character is an Abovegrounder (aka: from our time and place as opposed to an Undergrounder like the citizens of the Goblin City) who by some circumstance winds possessing a familiar little red book. She's somehow gotta get it from its previous owner, our favorite young heroine Sarah. A good deal of time grhas passed since her adventures Underground. What kind of person has she grown up to be? Will she ever return to the great maze and once again face the man that spirited away her little brother all those years ago? If you are a Jareth-Sarah headcannon purist, they can indeed have that happy ending ya'll dream of (but the concept of Jareth truly having been in love with Sarah at the time when she was a fourteen year old CHILD is kinda icky to me now that I'm an adult).

That's right! I'm not looking to live a vicarious romance with my OC and Jareth either (it's not out of the question IF IT MAKES SENSE IN THE CONTEXT OF THE STORY, but it's not necessary). Above all, I just want to create a really great story.

-Toby! The man was a baby when we saw him last. He could have grown up to be anything. If you refer to the link above, you'll see that that roleplay's Toby actually did have some vague recollection of his time in the Underground and has spent much of his adult life trying to somehow seek a means of returning.

-Hoggle, Ludo, and Sir Didymus

I hope to introduce a comical little goblin who goes by the name of Squeamish who may work as Jareth's footservant.

-Jack and Lili - the lovebirds from "Legend". They thought that the curse of Lord Darkness ended with his defeat, but it still lingers in the kingdom that resides an eternal spring, particularly in the heart of one of their two sons.

-Honeythorn Gump - an ancient elf with a childlike body who possesses all the wisdom of the forest. He and his companions aided Jack in his quest to rescue Lili from the clutches of Lord Darkness.

Everyone is welcome to provide their own OC's as well. All of my characters will pretty much be original creations and I'll play whatever unplayed canon characters that may be needed as the story progresses.

The Story

The setting will mostly be taking place in the Labyrinth where an ancient, terrifying power has slowy grown in strength somewhere deep below the Goblin City. A feeling of disquiet permates the realm and no one really knows why.

Meanwhile, a prince in exile wanders all over the Underground seeking answers on how to cure the kingdom that he fled from, and to atone for his greatest mistake of all.

A grown-up lost girl lives a mundane existence Above, working a landscaping job and trying to come to terms that her dreams will likley never come to fruition and that the feeling of not belonging in the world she lives in will never truly go away

The newly-coronated king of a realm that shines in eternal spring has had enough of spending his years of seeking his criminal brother. Though he can't figure out where he dissappeared to, he suspects the reason why can be found in the kingdom he detests above all others: the filthy Goblin City and its deplorable King.

-----

Some details of the plot:

Years ago, this aforementioned exiled prince traveled to the Goblin City to ask Jareth if he could take another child from the Above: his daughter (I'll go into the background of how he got there in the first place once I see if there's any interested parties). This prince inherited much of Lord Darkness' curse, and it had been decided early on that the child remain Above amid fears that she carried the curse as well. The prince was willing to go along with this ruling until he decided to peek into his daughter's world only to witness a life neglect under the roof of a mother who became a shell of herself since he had loved her.

Unable to return Above himself, he enlists the aid of a man known for striking bargains (and for spiriting away children). The deal: keep the child as a ward in his realm until he could find a way to bring her home or until she reached an age to come herself and claim her rightful place. Ah, but the knowledgeable Jareth had long known of this prince's past crimes and of the watchful eye of his elder brother. Not wanting to come under any fire himself, he agrees to the bargain...but with a catch. The prince could never make any contact with his daughter until he was fully prepared to take her back in his care. The prince agreed and returned home. Time passes. In a kingdom that was nearly destroyed with no small help from a goblin (Lord Darkness' right hand for those who havent seen the movie), the Goblin City is not very well liked. The prince grew worried thinking he may have made a mistake leaving his child in the care of someone who doesn't have the best track record when it comes to good deeds. So of course he caves and decides to try to sneak just the littlest peek. In doing so, she is immediately sent home. Distraught, devastated he goes to the Goblin City himself to beg for some kind of reversal, but something is strange...Jareth doesn't even seem to recognize who he is or what he's going on about. However, somebody does: a pint-sized, pudgy little goblin explains this his king wanted to ensure his own protection when he took on the child (in the above link, the old story had a High Council that oversaw and made rulings on certain special cases in the Underground and they wouldn't have liked to hear of Jareth meddling in the affairs of something they had helped to finalize). In the event that their contract was broken, all memories of the child's stay Underground would be wiped from her mind, his, and the kingdom at large(a la Once Upon a Time you might say)...with the exception of this one unremarkable creature (just in case he forgets about other matters from that time or something).

The prince leaves and decides to seek his own way of making things, everything, right again.

Meanwhile the poor little goblin grows to be a jumpy, neurotic little thing, struggling with the pressure of having to keep a great secret from his king (you know how forgetting spells work, the people involved need to remember on their own).

So we come to today. The child is now well into her adulthood, living a less than mundane life landscaping and finally learning to be happy with her little apartment, little paycheck, and predictable life (beats life in the foster system and at least things are stable). All she wants now to is to shake off the nightmares of her past as well as the feeling of always being at arm's length from the rest of the world (and saving enough money to buy that dream set of paintbrushes).

----

As of now, I'm still trying to figure out what this dark force could possibly be. I a few unpolished ideas that I'll be happy to share when I see if anyone is interested.

At long last you've reached the end of this long-winded[/b] interest check!

Now, do we have any takers?

Show more