American Idol XIII 2014 has removed unlimited toll-free voting this season.
Each toll-free voting number is now limited to 50 votes per phone line. Same goes for text.
Looks like this is a casualty of AT&T dropping sponsorship of American Idol.
To make up for this, Idol has added three additional ways to vote aside from phone or text:
Via SuperVote™ on americanidol.com (will require a valid Facebook account)
Via SuperVote™ on the American Idol XIII App (Download: iOS, Google Play) (will require a valid Facebook account)
Via Google Search (will require valid Google account)
All these additional methods also have a 50 vote limit.
So assuming you are one person voting to the limit on all these channels, you can have 250 votes.
For many years I just vote by phone. So from unlimited I’m now down to 50 votes.
The end of American Idol as we know it. Unlimited voting was the ONE BIG FACTOR that differentiated this show from all the rest — and something Nigel Lythgoe, Ryan Seacrest and everyone at FOX once said is what made the show better. Now it’s following what everyone else has been doing for years. American Idol copying Dancing with the Stars? I never thought that would ever happen.
Unlimited voting has existed on American Idol since the very beginning. Over now. I’m sad.
American Idol stops unlimited voting (FOX)
From American Idol:
There are five ways for you to vote for your favorite contestants competing in a voting episode (“Voting Show”) on AMERICAN IDOL XIII. You can: (1) SuperVoteTM at www.americanidol.com/vote; (2) SuperVoteTM on the AMERICAN IDOL XIII App; (3) vote on Google Search; (4) Text Vote (SMS); or (5) use the Toll-free Voting method, all as described below.
(1) SuperVoteTM at www.americanidol.com/vote: If you have a valid Facebook account, you can vote online at www.americanidol.com/vote or at the AMERICAN IDOL XIII Facebook page www.facebook.com/AmericanIdol. If you do not already have a Facebook account, you will need to create one before being able to vote online. Viewers will be able to submit up to 50 votes per contestant per valid Facebook account ID per Voting Show (this limit is combined with SuperVoteTM via the AMERICAN IDOL XIII App).
(2) SuperVoteTM via the AMERICAN IDOL XIII App: If you have a compatible Android or iOS device (tablet or handheld for iOS, handheld for Android), then you can vote via the AMERICAN IDOL XIII App. Here is how:
(a) Download the App from the App StoreSM or Google PlayTM Store. Data rates may apply for App download.
(b) Follow the voting instructions found within the App. To vote via the App, you will need to sign into a valid Facebook account when prompted. If you do not already have a Facebook account, you will need to create one before being able to vote. Viewers will be able to submit up to 50 votes per contestant per valid Facebook account ID per Voting Show (this limit is combined with SuperVoteTM via www.americanidol.com/vote).
(3) Vote on Google Search: If you have a valid Google account, you can vote via Google Search starting on Wednesday, February 26th, when the final contestants (“Finalists”) first perform. Simply go to Google, search “American Idol” or “Idol.” This search will prompt the Google Voting Module to appear with the images of the Finalists. Before being able to vote, you must first log in to the module with a valid Google account. If you do not already have a Google account, you will need to create one before being able to vote using Google Search. Once successfully logged in, you may select the Finalist(s) you wish to vote for and submit no more than 50 votes per Finalist per Google account ID per Voting Show.
(4) Text Voting: When voting begins for all the contestants, they will each be assigned a text message “keyword” number which will appear on screen during the Voting Show each week alongside the short code 83676. However, starting on Wednesday, February 26th, the keyword for each Finalist will remain the same for the remainder of the season. Text Voting in AMERICAN IDOL XIII is open to all participating wireless cell phone service providers; for a complete list see Text Voting Terms and Conditions. Customers of participating wireless service providers may text the keyword number relating to the contestant of choice, and send it to the 5 digit short code 83676 (e.g. Text 1 to 83676 or Text 2 to 83676). Text Voting is limited to 50 votes per contestant per originating phone number, per Voting Show. The Text Voting Terms and Conditions can be found at www.americanidol.com/mobileterms. Data or message rates may apply.
(5) Toll-free Voting: When voting begins for all the contestants, they will each be assigned a toll-free number during the Voting Show each week. Starting on Wednesday, February 26th, when the Finalists first perform, each Finalist will be assigned a toll-free number which they will keep for the remainder of the season. To vote, simply watch AMERICAN IDOL XIII on FOX each week (see local listings for dates/times in your area) and dial the toll-free telephone number of the contestant(s) for whom you wish to vote. Toll-free Voting is limited to 50 votes per contestant per originating phone number, per Voting Show. Any votes above 50 per contestant will not count even though you will continue to hear the ‘thanks for voting’ message.
For each voting method, any votes above 50 per contestant will not be counted. Voting rules and procedures are subject to change at Producers’ discretion and without notice.
American Idol removes unlimited voting first appeared on Rickey.org
• The Voice • American Idol • The X Factor