2015-01-29

My father was a gunsmith as well as avid collector and hunter all his life. I know he worked for a while at the Outdoor Sportsman on 120 in Waukegan if anyone remembers that old place. I grew up in a house full of firearms but I lost interest in it myself as a teenager. I’m sure that was a disappointment to him because my brother was the exact opposite and I know they bonded by hunting and shooting at the range. I've always believed in the 2nd amendment but it was more in theory than in practice.

I did buy my first pistol, a cheap Bryco Arms 380, back in the early 90s. It was something I wanted to keep in my apartment (just in case). I literally took that handgun to the range once, shot about 80 rounds, and then returned it to its box where it’s still sitting today. I didn’t even attempt to clean it until about a year ago.

I’ve been to the shooting range once or twice with my brother over the years but I never really considered buying my own firearm. There was always something else that I wanted/needed to spend my money on. That mentality changed for me shortly after the horrible event at Sandy Hook. I saw politicians pounce on that event. Not to actually address what happened but to push their own anti-gun agendas, well before all of the facts were out. It seemed that very few wanted to place blame on the sick individual that pulled the trigger.

We had Buckshot Biden who was quickly assigned to the case by his boss. Then we had others like ol’ Beady-Eyed Feinstein that was more worried about what type of plastic attachment may be connected to a rifle than really stopping gun violence. I was disgusted by the grandstanding and calls for a renewed ban on assault weapons. I heard some talk about mental illness and stricter background checks but most focused on implementing restrictions on law-abiding citizens. In my opinion, it should have been obvious that we need to hold people accountable for their actions and address mental health issues in our country.

For the last 20 years I’ve considered myself to be a Libertarian. I’ve worn that label proud even before it recently became trendy. I typically avoid voting for most Democrats and Republicans because I believe they are more interested in keeping the status quo rather than doing what is best for America. Maybe I’m biased but I honestly believe that their main goal is keep this a two party game and to lock out everyone else. Why else wouldn't you at least allow a 3rd party to partiicpate in the debates? There have been times where felt disenchanted and wanted to just sit out of an election but I eventually go in to vote. I do believe the control needs to be flipped upside-down. The Federal government should be out of the day to day lives of Americans and the power should be focused at the local level, where we would have greater accountability and a real chance for positive change in our communities.

As I mentioned earlier, my attitude about gun ownership changed a couple years ago. I still remember the day I recognized that our President was attempting to take advantage of the tragedy at Sandy Hook and turn it into an opportunity to advance his agenda. That day was 1/4/2013. I quickly submitted my application for the Illinois FOID card, joined the NRA, and then I began researching a new handgun.

By law, I should have received my FOID within 30 days. I checked the mail every day, looking for that magic card that is required for Illinois residents to purchase any firearm and ammo. 30 days came and went without any sign of my new card. At the 6 week mark, I unsuccessfully attempted to follow up with the Illinois State Police for a status update. They are required by law to process or deny FOID applications within 30 days. It was pretty much “Don’t call us, we’ll call you” and I became frustrated. I don’t blame the Illinois State Police. I’m sure that they didn’t ask to be the agency to process FOID requests, but that is the current law and I expected them to follow it. I finally decided to email an Illinois State Senator that I thought may be sympathetic to my situation. I quickly received a reply that they would have their office look into it and then my new FOID card appeared in my mailbox four days later.

Today I am the proud owner of six firearms (four pistols and two shotguns). I’ve already completed two classes through Red Dot Arms. I look forward to learning more, practicing a lot, and growing my collection over the years. I now believe that it is my responsibility and obligation as an American to exercise all of my constitutional rights. I love this country and I will no longer take those rights for granted. Thank you to all that have fought and sacrificed for my ability to do that. I truly appreciate it.

Show more