2016-02-15

I've been lurking for a while, however I haven't seen these recent developments discussed here, apologies if I missed it, but on the bright side it's one more new user!

I've seen recent news that the improvements around Market Harborough are now starting to move forward, looks like the plan is to execute this as a separate project in the next 2-3 years, ahead of electrification (hence I didn't post it into the MML Electrification thread).

Network Rail have so far been a bit shy about making their ideas public. However, based on what I've seen, there appear to be a two options on the table. The main scheme elements:

- will straighten track so that the line passes through what is now the car park, allowing line speed to be raised to ~ 85 mph

- will move the car park and vehicle access to the East of the railway

- will improve access for users with impaired mobility

- will lengthen the Southbound platform

- could mean a new station building to the East, with the existing (listed) building re-used for non-rail

- could involve up to 1.5 miles of re-alignment, which I guess will be from the existing bridge over Rockingham Road to the former junction North of Great Bowden.

There will be a public exhibition of Network Rail's proposals in Market Harborough on 27th February - see the Harborough Mail link.

Harborough Mail
Leicester Mercury
Harborough Rail Users

Show more