2016-08-25

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

From my Twitter feed: Hand-carried antennas, 3D printed antenna parts

Randy @K7AGE

Probably a lot of good info in Peters new book Hand Carried QRP Antennas $5

goo.gl/EVa7rw#hamradiopic.twitter.com/YpDsTvoJao

M0ZPK @m0zpk

8yr old wants RX antenna for 2m/70cm and wx sats. So we 3d printed a

x-dipole centre and built one #hamr#hamradio

2600 Magazine @2600

All audio from @hopeconf is now up at xi.hope.net/schedule.html

The post From my Twitter feed: Hand-carried antennas, 3D printed antenna

parts appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

Let me help you pass the Extra test

There are several questions on the Extra Class test about this circuit.

In another blog post, a reader commented:

I’m amazed at how many people say the Extra is easy. I’m happy for you if

you find it so. I’m about to take the Extra for the 6th time. I don’t have

an electronics background. I’m a junior high music teacher, licensed since

1969. I’ve been studying the material for weeks, and will continue to take

the test until I pass.

I replied:

I dont think that the Extra Class exam is easy. Indeed, taken to extremes,

to really learn everything thats on the test, youd have to get a degree in

electricalÂ*engineering. Heck, I actually do have a degree in electrical

engineering, and I had to study before I took the Extra Class exam.

I think that a lot of hams get distracted when studying for the test. By

that I mean that they try to learn everything there is to know about a

topic, rather than learning what they need to know to pass the test. For

example, there are several questions on digital logic on the Extra Class

test. To learn everything about digital logic, youd have to take several

college courses or pore incessantly over thick textbooks and build lots of

digital circuits. While that may teach you a lot about digital logic, it

may not help you answer the digital logic questions on the Extra Class

test. And, thats only one of many topics on the test!

Thats why my study guides are written as they are. The goal isnt to teach

you all the nuances of digital logic, or antenna theory, or circuit design,

but to give you just enough background so that you understand why the

correct answers to the questions on the test are the correct answers.

Some hams think thats cheating, but like I said before, to really learn

everything thats on the test, youd have to get a degree in electrical

engineering and work as an engineer for many years. This is just a hobby.

If we really wanted to ensure that all Extras were electronics (and antenna

and RF systems) geniuses, then wed have to make the test a lot harder, and

very few would be able to pass.

Getting back to your situation, Id be happy to help you. If there are

particular topics or questions that you dont understand, please feel free

to e-mail, and Ill either e-mail you back, or we can schedule a time to

talk on the phone or maybe even on the air.

Ill extend that offer to all my readers. My e-mail address is
. If I get enough responses, we could even do

regularly-scheduled classes over EchoLink or the Internet. At one point, I

was holding weekly Extra classes on the W8UM repeater here in Ann Arbor. It

had an EchoLink connection, and we had people from all over the country.

The post Let me help you pass the Extra test appeared first on KB6NUs Ham

Radio Blog.

Show more