2015-06-05

QRZ Forums - Amateur Radio News

The ARRL Letter, June 4, 2015

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php...5&goto=newpost

The ARRL Letter

June 4, 2015

Rick Lindquist, WW1ME, Editor

[Note: Clicking on the story links below will take you to the news article

as it appears in The ARRL Letter on the ARRL website.]

Texas, Oklahoma Ham Volunteers Stand Down Following Spate of Severe

WeatherWX4NHC Reports It's Ready for Hurricane SeasonRadio Call Saves SOTA

Climber Following FallIt's Alive! LightSail Spacecraft Restored After Being

Silenced by Software IssueDelayed Return of Astronaut Samantha

Cristoforetti, IZ0UDF, Set for June 11British Astronaut to Share His ISS

Experience with Students via Amateur RadioSarah Brightman Spaceflight

PostponedNayif-1 CubeSat to Have FUNcube TransponderAnother Australian

Balloon with a Ham Radio Payload Circumnavigates EarthIn Brief...The K7RA

Solar UpdateJust Ahead in RadiosportUpcoming ARRL Section, State, and

Division Conventions and Events

Texas, Oklahoma Ham Volunteers Stand Down Following Spate of Severe Weather

Severe storms and flooding in Texas and Oklahoma that extended beyond the

Memorial Day holiday weekend kept ARES and SKYWARN volunteers busy or on

alert through the rest of May, which now is being crowned as the wettest

month on record in both states. Texas received more than 8.8 inches of

rainfall during May, while Oklahoma got a whopping 14.4 inches. Wichita

Falls, Texas, saw 17 inches of rain during May, while Oklahoma City got

nearly 19.5 inches. The resulting flooding and property damage -- with some

severe wind incidents thrown in -- caused numerous ARES callouts and

SKYWARN net activations.

In Oklahoma, Section Emergency Coordinator Mark Conklin, N7XYO, said

Amateur Radio volunteers provided communication for several American Red

Cross damage assessment teams in the wake of flooding in Comanche County

and elsewhere. "ARES-OK volunteers in action this month have provided 436

hours of service," Conklin reported on May 31. "Teams were deployed to the

Bridge Creek community and Comanche and Leflore counties. In addition,

Conklin added, nearly every storm complex that rolled through Oklahoma

spawned numerous SKYWARN nets with volunteers providing "many hours of

service."

ARES teams in his state stood down on June 2.

South Texas Section Emergency Coordinator Frank Aguilar, N5SSH, said all

districts in his Section had stood down by June 1. "Weather events are

over, and the forecast does not show rain for the next week or two, which

means search and rescue and clean-up will be the main focus," he said. A

summary of activity showed that ARES volunteers assisted in local emergency

operations centers and the Red Cross. In addition, he noted, SKYWARN nets

were called up in vulnerable counties, and other ARES teams remained on

standby in case they were needed.

ARRL South Texas Section Manager Lee Cooper, W5LHC, called the spate of

heavy rainfall, tornadoes, and flooding over some two-thirds of his

state "pretty much unprecedented" for the region. "The main event is over,"

Cooper said this week. "We are looking at a approximately 10-day period of

dry sunny weather in South Texas and do not anticipate any additional

activations."

This spring's torrential rains stood in stark contrast to the severe

drought the region had experienced over the past few years. May's heavy

rains have been linked to a burgeoning El Niño in the Pacific.

While fair weather returned to the region this week, forecasters fear the

now rain-saturated ground could make things worse during the hurricane

season, which began on June 1.

WX4NHC Reports It's Ready for Hurricane Season

WX4NHC, the Amateur Radio station at the National Hurricane Center (NHC) in

Miami, reports that it has stood the test and is ready for the 2015

Hurricane Season, which began on June 1 and will continue through November.

WX4NHC conducted its Annual Station Test on May 30, at the end of Hurricane

Preparedness Week. This marked the 35th year of volunteer public service by

the WX4NHC Group at the NHC. WX4NHC Amateur Radio Asst. Coordinator Julio

Ripoll, WD4R, said the station was tested on many frequencies and modes,

including digital modes, and that all radio equipment and antennas

performed well.

"The WX4NHC test event is also good practice for Amateur Radio operators

worldwide, but especially in hurricane prone areas, to test their station's

ability to contact WX4NHC, should they need to during a hurricane," Ripoll

said. "It was also a good opportunity for NWS Office staff to become aware

of the unique capabilities of Amateur Radio during severe weather and

disaster communications, when conventional communication modes fail."

NOAA's Climate Prediction Center has forecast that the 2015 Atlantic

hurricane season will likely be below normal, but, it added, "that's no

reason to believe coastal areas will have it easy."

For the 2015 hurricane season, NOAA has predicted a 70 percent likelihood

of anywhere from six to 11 named storms (winds of 39 MPH or higher), of

which three to six could become hurricanes (winds of 74 MPH or higher).

That forecast included up to two "major hurricanes" (Category 3, 4, or 5)

with winds of 111 MPH or greater.

"A below-normal season doesn't mean we're off the hook," NOAA Administrator

Kathryn Sullivan said. "As we've seen before, below-normal seasons can

still produce catastrophic impacts to communities."

Ripoll said WX4NHC logged contacts during the test with some emergency

communication notables. These included FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate,

KK4INZ, on EchoLink and on the Florida UHF SARnet, plus a 20 meter contact

with FEMA Chief Technical Officer Ted Okada, K4HNL. WX4NHC also worked ARRL

Emergency Preparedness Manager Mike Corey, KI1U, and Hurricane Watch Net

(HWN) Manager Bobby Graves, KB5HAV.

"Mike, Bobby, Craig, and Ted all understand very well how Amateur Radio can

help their communities during and after severe weather and other natural

disasters," Ripoll said. "We expressed our thanks to all of them for their

strong support of the Amateur Radio volunteers and WX4NHC." Ripoll also

expressed appreciation to SKYWARN volunteers.

"You may never know, but your efforts may someday save someone's life," he

added.

During the 8-hour test, contacts were made and surface reports received

from many stations throughout the US and Canada, as well as in the

Caribbean, Central America, and South America, Ripoll said. He noted that

more than 40 D-STAR/D-RATS surface weather reports were received at WX4NHC.

John Davis, WB4QDX, coordinated the D-Star/D-RATS net and reporting, Ripoll

said.

"We are excited of the potential that D-STAR/D-RATS modes can produce

hurricane surface reports in a similar format that is used at WX4NHC," he

said. "These reports may someday fill a very important gap in surface data

during a hurricane that we could not receive on other modes."

WX4NHC also took part in the Florida State Hurricane Exercise on the UHF

SARnet, making contacts throughout Florida and with stations in emergency

operations centers. SARnet currently has 25 UHF repeaters connected

statewide, including one on the NHC campus.

Radio Call Saves SOTA Climber Following Fall

A Littleton, Colorado, radio amateur and mountaineer was happy to have his

handheld transceiver along on May 17 after he slipped and fell from an icy

ledge in Berthoud Pass while snowshoeing. Summits On The Air (SOTA)

enthusiast Brad Byland, WA6MM, said he's been climbing and mountaineering

for many years now and never before came this close to what he called "a

possible life-ending disaster."

"I'm doing fine," Byland told ARRL. "I didn't get hurt...only bad wind and

sunburn on my face! My daughter says my geeky hobby -- ham radio -- saved

me from my dangerous hobby -- climbing and mountaineering!"

Byland said that while this was his first climb in the Berthoud Pass area,

he was never "lost," as some media accounts reported. He had prepared to

climb Mount Flora -- which would have been his 29th SOTA peak -- by

studying maps and others' trip reports, plus he had his iPhone with GPS, a

compass, and his radio along.

"[T]hings went smoothly until about 12,700 feet," Byland said, at which

point, with visibility deteriorating, he decided to turn back. "It wasn't

long before I was in a total whiteout," he recounted. "The ground is white,

the air around me is white, and I had no perception of direction and

elevation. My iPhone GPS was of no use, as I couldn't read the display. I

pulled out my compass for navigation." Byland said he knew the basic

heading he should follow along the ridge, and he proceeded.

"A short time later I had a strange feeling I was floating in air. I didn't

realize I was falling until I landed on my back on a snow-filled ledge

about 20 feet below a cornice," Byland continued. "I was quite surprised

and amazed that I suffered no injuries."

But he was essentially "stuck," and, while his snowshoes remained on, he

was unable to climb back up, due to the overhanging nature of the

cornice. "I needed to wait for better conditions," he concluded. "After

about an hour I decided to make a call for help, as I knew it would take

time for a rescue party to mobilize and find me. Spending the night would

probably not end well, and I might have had to take on significant risk to

attempt a self-rescue."

Byland said he'd programmed his radio to a few local mountain repeaters, he

was able to quickly contact another ham, "and the rest of the story

unfolded with my eventual rescue."

While well equipped for his situation, he remained on the ledge for 4 or 5

hours. "I was in good spirits," he said, "and I can't tell you enough about

how comforting it is to have another person on the radio keeping me

informed of the rescue process. I didn't feel so alone on that ledge."

Byland thanked the Alpine and Grand County Search and Rescue members who

got him off the ledge. "Words alone cannot express my feelings of gratitude

for the work you do and the countless hours you invest in this service," he

said. "My donations to both SAR groups are forthcoming."

He also expressed his gratitude to the hams who picked up his distress call

and quickly notified authorities. "The outcome would have certainly been

different without their help," he said. "I particularly want to thank

Alpine SAR ham radio operator Mike, KC0CNT, who spent countless hours with

me exchanging vital information during the rescue operation."

In retrospect, Byland said, he should have taken another route or hunkered

down and waited for better visibility before descending.

It's Alive! LightSail Spacecraft Restored After Being Silenced by Software

Issue

After going silent for a few days, The Planetary Society's LightSail™

spacecraft has resumed transmitting. A suspected software glitch had caused

the satellite to stop sending telemetry back to Earth on the 70 centimeter

Amateur Radio band. The communication issue now out of the way, the

LightSail team will soon determine when to attempt deployment of the

spacecraft's Mylar® solar sails.

"Our LightSail called home! It's alive!" The Planetary Society's CEO Bill

Nye (The Science Guy) said in a statement on the organization's

website. "Our LightSail spacecraft has rebooted itself, just as our

engineers predicted. Everyone is delighted. We were ready for three more

weeks of anxiety."

According to Nye's statement, the LightSail team has coded a software patch

and has it ready to upload. "After we are confident in the data packets

regarding our orbit, we will make decisions about uploading the patch and

deploying our sails -- and we'll make those decisions very soon," Nye

said. "This has been a rollercoaster for us down here on Earth, all the

while our capable little spacecraft has been on orbit going about its

business."

In a lengthy May 26 blog post, the Planetary Society's Jason Davis said the

LightSail mission had "paused, while engineers wait out a suspected

software glitch that has silenced the solar sailing spacecraft." Following

its successful May 20 launch, LightSail sent about 140 data packets back to

Earth, Davis said. Over the Memorial Day weekend, however, the spacecraft's

automated telemetry went silent.

Telemetry data are sent on 437.435 MHz (AX.25, 9600 bps FSK). Davis said a

lot of radio amateurs have been helping to track LightSail and sent in data

packets.

According to Davis, the LightSail team believes that "a vulnerability" that

controls the primary avionics board was the problem. As he explained, the

CubeSat's onboard Linux-based flight software writes beacon packets to a

spreadsheet file -- beacon.csv -- which, when it reaches a certain size,

can cause the flight system to crash. A patch was devised to address the

problem in later software revisions, but LightSail's software did not

include the update, and before the fix could be uploaded, the satellite

went silent.

Delayed Return of Astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti, IZ0UDF, Set for June 11

Astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti, IZ0UDF, now on an International Space

Station duty tour that was extended by about a month, will return to Earth

on June 11. Cristoforetti has conducted several Amateur Radio on the

International Space Station (ARISS) school contacts during her ISS stay. In

early May, NASA and its international partners postponed the return of

Cristoforetti, astronaut Terry Virts, and cosmonaut Anton Shkaplerov,

following the failure in late April of the Russian robotic Progress 59

cargo spacecraft to reach the ISS. The Progress went out of control,

eventually burning up in Earth's atmosphere.

"NASA and its international partners agreed to set a new schedule for

spacecraft traffic to and from the International Space Station," NASA said

in a May 12 media release.

"Looks like it's not time to get my spacesuit ready yet...what a present!"

Cristoforetti reacted, after the delay was announced. She arrived on the

ISS in November.

Cristoforetti's departure from the ISS will leave only Russian cosmonauts

to support the ARISS program until late July, when Kjell Lindgren, KO5MOS;

Oleg Kononenko, RN3DX, and Kimiya Yui arrive at the ISS as part of a

scheduled crew rotation. Before flights were reshuffled, they had been

scheduled to arrive in May. All three are set to return December 22.

NASA astronaut Scott Kelly and Russian cosmonauts Mikhail Kornienko, RN3BF,

and Gennady Padalka, RN3DT, arrived on station in March as part of the

Expedition 43/44 crew increment. Kelly and Kornienko will remain on the ISS

for 1 year. Padalka also will return to Earth in December.

The next Russian cargo craft, Progress 60, will launch in early July to

deliver several tons of food, fuel, and supplies. The space station has

sufficient supplies to support crews until the fall.

A private SpaceX robotic Dragon capsule is still slated to blast off on its

next resupply mission on June 19, but the timing of that flight is now

under review, NASA officials said.

British Astronaut to Share His ISS Experience with Students via Amateur

Radio

The UK's first European Space Agency astronaut, Tim Peake, KG5BVI, plans to

share his "Principia" mission space adventure with students on Earth via

Amateur Radio. He's invited youngsters in his country to contact him while

he's onboard the International Space Station (ISS) later this year. Peake

is scheduled to head to the ISS in November for a 6-month duty tour. Nearly

a year in development, the program represents a collaboration of the

Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) program, the UK

Space Agency (UKSA), the Radio Society of Great Britain (RSGB), the

European Space Education Research Office in the UK (ESERO-UK), and the

European Space Agency (ESA) to raise awareness in Space, Amateur Radio, and

STEM subjects.

"I hope to share as much of my mission as possible and am delighted that I

will be able to talk to UK students when the ISS flies over Britain, thanks

to the Amateur Radio equipment on board the International Space Station and

the ARISS program," Peake said.

The RSGB lead for ARISS and ARISS operations in the UK, Ciaran Morgan,

M0XTD, said, "ARISS...is delighted to help UK students connect with Tim

whilst he is in space, using only Amateur Radio equipment on the ISS and in

schools, to help inspire our future generations of scientists, technicians,

engineers, and mathematicians."

Schools throughout the UK have been solicited to host one of the limited

number of contacts. The events will include space workshops, where students

can explore space and space-related technologies, and analyze data from

satellites in orbit.

Students taking part in the contact events would have to obtain a full UK

Amateur Radio license in order to operate the radio gear, and one lucky

student at each of the schools selected will be responsible for making

contact with the ISS. An RSGB team and the ARISS UK operations team will

work with the chosen schools to prepare them for this exceptional

opportunity during the mission of the first British ESA astronaut.

Selected schools/organizations will host a direct ham radio link-up with

the ISS during a 2-day, space-related STEM workshop. ARISS-UK will provide

and set up all necessary radio equipment, including low-Earth orbit

satellite tracking antennas and radios, to establish a direct radio link

with the space station while the ISS is over the UK so that students can

ask Peake about his life and work on board the ISS. The program also plans

to promote many aspects of Amateur Radio, including the Amateur-Satellite

service, obtaining data from orbiting spacecraft (FUNcube and the Fox

satellites), the latest equipment on the ISS, and, if operational, the "Ham

Video" digital amateur television (DATV) system.

Peake will use the GB1SS call sign when in contact with UK-based schools.

The British Amateur Television Club will stream the contacts live on the

web. Read more. -- Thanks to AMSAT News Service via the RSGB and AMSAT-UK

Sarah Brightman Spaceflight Postponed

Singer Sarah Brightman has announced that she is postponing plans to go

into space as a paying guest aboard the International Space Station. She

was set to launch on the September Soyuz TMA-18M mission with Danish

astronaut Andreas Mogensen, KG5GCZ, and Russian cosmonaut Sergei Volkov,

RU3DIS.

There had been some speculation that Brightman might use Amateur Radio

during her ISS stay; she apparently would be eligible to do so using the

GB1SS call sign.

The British soprano is reported to have paid $52 million to be

a "spaceflight participant" for 10 days. Brightman said she was putting her

spaceflight on hold for personal and family reasons, and she has postponed

her cosmonaut training and flight plans.

"Since 2012, Sarah has shared her story of a lifelong dream to fly to

space," said Eric Anderson, co-founder and chairman of Space Adventures

Ltd, which arranged the flight. "We've seen firsthand her dedication to

every aspect of her spaceflight training and to date [she] has passed all

of her training and medical tests. We applaud her determination and we'll

continue to support her as she pursues a future spaceflight opportunity."

Nayif-1 CubeSat to Have FUNcube Transponder

AMSAT-UK and AMSAT-NL have announced that a FUNcube communication package

has been selected as a major payload for the Nayif-1 CubeSat mission.

FUNcube-1 (AO-73) carries an inverting U/V SSB/CW transponder. The Nayif-1

mission, tentatively set to launch toward the end of 2015, is intended to

provide students in the United Arab Emirates with a tool to design and test

systems in space.

The CubeSat is being developed by the Emirates Institution for Advanced

Science and Technology (EIAST) in partnership with American University of

Sharjah (AUS). It is expected that this payload will provide a large amount

of valuable environmental data from space together with a new, enhanced,

UHF to VHF linear transponder. The AMSAT team will work closely with the

Emirati students in collaboration with support partner Innovative Solutions

In Space BV from the Netherlands to develop the new system.

AMSAT-UK and AMSAT-NL announced the news on April 25, during the

Dutch "Interessedag Amateursatellieten" (Amateur Satellite Interest Day)

event in Apeldoorn. More details, including frequencies and planned

operating schedules, will be made available as soon as possible. -- Thanks

to AMSAT News Service via AMSAT-UK

Another Australian Balloon with a Ham Radio Payload Circumnavigates Earth

The circumnavigation of another party-type foil balloon from Australia has

demonstrated that having one circle the Southern Hemisphere is no fluke.

Andy Nguyen, VK3YT, launched his PS-46 balloon, which carried an Amateur

Radio payload, on May 25. The balloon completed the trip on June 4.

Nguyen's earlier PS-41 balloon was the first such balloon to circle Earth.

"This time it was in the right position -- before arriving in Western

Australia -- for the jet stream to push it over land," Nguyen said.

The helium balloons in this series carried a solar-powered 25 mW

transmitter which sent WSPR, JT9, and sometimes Olivia signals on 30 and 20

meters, enabling their tracking and the gathering of reports on altitude,

speed, direction, and battery condition. The PS-46 balloon completed its

journey around the globe in slightly more than 12 days. - Thanks to Jim

Linton, VK3PC

In Brief...

HEX-BEAM® Manufacturer Traffie Technologies Shutting Down Traffie

Technologies, the Massachusetts-based family business that has pioneered

and manufactured the HEX-BEAM line of rotatable wire beams, is closing its

doors. "This is to inform everyone that we are closing down production of

the HEX-BEAM®," an announcement on the HEX-BEAM website said. The

company's principal, Mike Traffie, N1HXA, has indicated that he is open to

having someone else take over the business. The small firm came into being

in 1992, and HEX-BEAM antennas have been developed for 40 meters through 2

meters in various monoband and multiband versions. The company's latest

product is the HX5Bi, which covers 10, 12, 15, 17, and 20 meters.

Past Mississippi Section Manager Richard L. Redd, SK Former ARRL

Mississippi Section Manager Richard Redd, KA5WRX, of Jackson, died on May

10. He was 75. Redd served as Mississippi SM from 1991 to 1995. Redd was

the retired CEO and chairman of the board of Redd Pest Control. Services

were May 14 in Madison. Survivors include his wife, Joyce, and several

children.

SATERN to Mark The Salvation Army Anniversary in Early July: The Salvation

Army Team Emergency Radio Network (SATERN) will mark the 150th anniversary

of The Salvation Army with a Salvation Army 150th Anniversary QSO Party,

Wednesday, July 1, through Sunday, July 5. All are welcome to take part.

Operators who make contact with a SATERN station are eligible for a special

event QSL card. The QSO party is being sponsored by a partnership between

The Salvation Army National Headquarters, the Alabama-Louisiana-Mississippi

Division of The Salvation Army, and the Jackson (Mississippi) Amateur Radio

Club.

W4DXCC DX and Contest Convention Set for Late September: The Southeast's

largest ham radio event, the W4DXCC DX and Contest Convention will take

place September 25-26 in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee (home of Dollywood).

Sponsored by The SouthEastern DX and Contesting Organization (SEDCO), the

event features presentations on DXing and contesting topics and, of course,

prize drawings. Ham radio equipment manufacturers and dealers will be on

hand to demonstrate new products and answer equipment questions. A banquet

rounds out the day. This year's convention will offer a daylong "Ham Radio

Boot Camp" to Elmer newcomers on station and antenna construction,

operating, DXing, and contesting.

The K7RA Solar Update

Tad Cook, K7RA, Seattle, reports: From May 28 through June 3, average daily

sunspot numbers dropped from 56.1 the previous week to 34.3. Average daily

solar flux barely changed from 97.6 to 97.8 over the same period. But, both

numbers have begun showing an upward trend.

Predicted solar flux is 110 on June 4-5; 115 on June 6; 120 on June 7-11;

115 on June 12-13; 110 on June 14; 100 on June 15-16; 95 on June 17-22; 90

on June 23-25; 95 on June 26-28, 100 on June 29, and then peaking at 120 on

July 7-8.

Predicted planetary A index is 5 on June 4-5; 8 on June 6; 12 on June 7-8;

then 30, 10, 8, 5, 8, 15; and 12 on June 9-15; 5 on June 16 through July 3,

and then 10, 25, 20, and 12 on July 4-7.

On May 28 the daily sunspot number was 11, the lowest non-zero sunspot

number, meaning that just one sunspot was visible. There are no sunspot

numbers between 1 and 10, because each sunspot group represents a value of

10, with a value of 1 for each sunspot in the group.

The last time the daily sunspot number was 11 was July 16, 2014, and the

sunspot number dropped to zero the next day. This was just a few months

after the peak of Cycle 24, which I reckon to be around February and March

2014, using our 3-month moving average.

Prior to that we'd have to look back to January 14-15, 2011, to find the

sunspot number at 11 on both days. This was on the ascendant side of Cycle

24.

In Friday's bulletin, look for reports from readers, an updated forecast,

and an update on our 3-month moving average of sunspot numbers. Send me

your reports and observations.

Just Ahead in Radiosport

June 5 -- NCCC RTTY Sprint

June 5 -- NCCC Sprint Ladder (CW)

June 6 -- Wake-Up! QRP Sprint (CW)

June 6-7 -- 10-10 Int'l Open Season PSK Contest

June 6-7 -- DigiFest

June 6-7 -- VK Shires Contest (CW, SSB)

June 6-7 -- SEANET Contest (CW)

June 6-7 -- UKSMG Summer Contest

June 6-7 -- RSGB National Field Day (CW)

June 6-7 -- IARU Region 1 Field Day (CW)

June 6-7 -- Alabama QSO Party

June 10 -- NAQCC CW Sprint (CW)

June 10 -- CWops Mini-CWT Test (CW)

June 10 -- RSGB 80 Meter Club Championship (CW)

June 13-15 -- ARRL June VHF Contest

See the ARRL Contest Calendar for more information.

Upcoming ARRL Section, State, and Division Conventions and Events

June 5-7 -- Northwestern Division Convention (SeaPac), Seaside, Oregon

June 6 -- Georgia State Convention, Marietta, Georgia

June 12-13 -- West Gulf Division Convention (Ham-Com), Irving, Texas

June 13 -- Tennessee State Convention, Knoxville, Tennessee

July 4 -- Eastern Pennsylvania Section Convention, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

July 10-11 -- Northern Florida Section Convention, Milton, Florida

July 13-16 -- Mobile Amateur Radio Awards Club Convention, The Villages,

Florida

July 17-19 -- Montana State Convention, East Glacier, Montana

July 23-26 -- Central States VHF Society Conference, Westminster, Colorado

July 24-25 -- Oklahoma Section Convention, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

July 31-August 2 -- Rocky Mountain Division Convention, Bryce Canyon, Utah

August 1 -- Great Lakes Division Convention, Columbus, Ohio

August 7-8 -- South Texas Section Convention, Austin, Texas

August 7-9 -- New Mexico State Convention, Albuquerque, New Mexico

August 7-9 -- Pacific Northwest DX Convention, Everett, Washington

August 15-16 -- Alabama State Convention, Huntsville, Alabama

August 16 -- Kansas State Convention, Salina, Kansas

August 21-23 -- New England Division Convention, Boxborough, Massachusetts

August 22 -- West Virginia State Convention, Weston, West Virginia

August 30 -- Western Pennsylvania Section Convention, New Kensington,

Pennsylvania

Find conventions and hamfests in your area.

The ARRL Letter appreciates the support of these advertisers:

Icom

Radio City

Radio Lights

DX Engineering

RF Concepts

Low Loss PWRgate

HRD Software

Timewave Technology, Inc

RIGOL Technologies, Inc

Debco Electronics

ARRL members can opt to receive The ARRL Letter (with color images!)

directly via e-mail. If you are not an ARRL member, consider joining now to

receive this and other benefits, including the monthly ARRL journal, QST

(and the QST online digital edition). The ARRL — the national association

of Amateur Radio is the only organization representing Amateur Radio in the

US. As an ARRL member you support the ranks of thousands of other ham radio

enthusiasts shaping the Amateur Radio Service today. If you consider

yourself an active ham, you need ARRL now. Membership costs as little as

$39 a year. ARRL members have access to the ARRL Archive and Periodical

Search, the Product Review Archive, E-Mail Forwarding, a voice in the

affairs of ARRL and ham radio through locally appointed volunteers and much

more! Become part of the future of ham radio. Join the ARRL today!

ARRL -- Your One-Stop Resource for Amateur Radio News and Information

Join or Renew Today! ARRL membership includes QST, Amateur Radio's most

popular and informative journal, delivered to your mailbox each month.

Listen to ARRL Audio News, available every Friday.

Subscribe to...

NCJ -- National Contest Journal. Published bi-monthly, features articles by

top contesters, letters, hints, statistics, scores, NA Sprint and QSO

Parties.

QEX -- A Forum for Communications Experimenters. Published bi-monthly,

features technical articles, construction projects, columns and other items

of interest to radio amateurs and communications professionals.

Free of charge to ARRL members: Subscribe to the ARES E-Letter (monthly

public service and emergency communications news), the ARRL Contest Update

(bi-weekly contest newsletter), Division and Section news alerts -- and

much more!

Find us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.

The ARRL Letter is published Thursdays, 48 times each year. ARRL members

and registered guests may subscribe at no cost or unsubscribe by editing

their profile.

Copyright © 2014 American Radio Relay League, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Company Extends Alkaline Battery Life With Voltage Booster

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php...r&goto=newpost

Company Extends Alkaline Battery Life With Voltage Booster

Batteroo is a Silicon Valley company preparing to release its Batteriser

product in September. The Batteriser is a small sleeve that fits around

alkaline batteries toboost the voltage to 1.5V. This means that batteries

that would otherwise be thrown into the trash when the voltage dips to

1.3V or 1.4V could be used until the unboosted voltage reaches 0.6V,

extending the useful life of a battery 8x, according to the company. This

product has the potential to reduce the number of batteries in landfills

as well as increasing the time between replacing batteries. The expected

price of the sleeve is $10 for a pack of 4 sleeves.

It can also extend the use of rechargeable batteries in HT's, emergency

lights, etc. Should be a useful item in a go kit as well as around the

shack.

HamRadioNow: Dayton DX Forum - Mellish Reef; Navassa; Don Miller W9WNV

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php...V&goto=newpost

HAMRADIONOW.tv

Episodes 203, 204 and 205

from the Dayton Hamvention® DX Forum

Episode 203: VK9MT Mellish Reef. Gene Spinelli K5GS presents the slide show

on the 2014 DXpedition to Mellish Reef, a spit of coral barely above sea

level northeast of Australia. Not easy to get to, not comfortable to stay

on, but that's what DXers do to let you make contact with "a new one."

Episode 204: Don Miller W9WNT. If you were a DXer in the 1960's, you knew

all about Don. Or you thought you did. I became a ham in 1965, but my

attention was elsewhere, so learning about this now, decades later, has

been fascinating. Don wasn't the first DXpeditioner, but he expanded and

refined the game. He helped demonstrate the need for clear rules and

definitions, sometimes by breaking them. He spent time in prison (serious,

disputed, but not ham related), and regained his ham license after his

release in 2002.

Google Don's name and call sign, and spend a few hours digesting all the

material about him out there. In this episode from the Hamvention DX Forum,

Don talks about much of this (not the prison part). His story may not be

over...

Episode 205: K1N Navassa Island. Did you work'em? I didn't, but I didn't

try all that hard. Everybody I know did, though. Seems like an easy chip

shot from North America, both for propagation and transportation.

Propagation: pretty good. Transportation: not so much. Co-organizers Glenn

Johnson W0GJ and Bob Allphin K4UEE explain what it took to get there, and

to 'be' there.

We've got one more coming up - EP6T Kish Island, Iran - presented its own

unique set of problems. We're still editing that one, so it should be out

soon.

And for our 'embedded video' here on QRZ, I'll choose the first one,

because they're all compelling (go to HamRadioNow.tv to see the rest), but

this one includes the DX Forum introduction, so we should start at the

beginning....

Watch all our programs on our web page:

HAMRADIONOW.tv

HamRadioNow is supported by viewer contributions

If you enjoy the programs, visit www.HamRadioNow.tv and "click the pig"

THANK YOU to all our contributors!

Show more