2014-07-03

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Use VLF to detect lightning

http://www.kb6nu.com/use-vlf-to-detect-lightning/

Yesterday, my friend Ed, KD8OQG tweeeted:

Edward Vielmetti @vielmetti

a lightning detector, picking up lightning signals on VLF (!)

blitzortung.org/Documents/TOA_… @kb6nuÂ*@hoopycatÂ*#hamr

Ed is a bit of a severe weather geek, and is often Tweeting when severe

weather rolls through the Ann Arbor area. So, its only natural that he

would be interested in the Blitzortung project. The Blitzortung website

describes the project this way:

Blitzortung.org is a lightning detection network for the location of

electromagnetic discharges in the atmosphere (lightning discharges) based

on the time of arrival (TOA) and time of group arrival (TOGA) method. It

consists of several lightning receivers and one central processing server.

The stations transmit their data in short time intervals over the Internet

to our server. Every data sentence contains the precise time of arrival of

the received lightning discharge impulse (sferic) and the exact geographic

position of the receiver. With this information from all stations the exact

positions of the discharges are computed. The aim of the project is to

establish a low budget lightning location network with a high number of

stations. The price for the hardware used is less than 200 Euro. The sferic

positions are free accessible in raw format to all stations that transmit

their data to our server. The station owner can use the raw data for all

non-commercial purposes. The lightning activity of the last two hours is

additionally displayed on several public maps recomputed every minute.

Blitzortung.org is a community of station operators who transmit their data

to the central server, programmers who develop and/or implement algorithms

for the location or visualization of sferic positions, and people who

assist anyway to keep the system running. There is no restriction on

membership. All people who keep the network in operation are volunteers.

There is no fee and no contract. If a station stops pooling its data, the

server stops providing the access to the archive of sferics positions for

the user of that station. A detailed description about how to participate

to the network and how to setup an own receiver can be found in the

following document.

The website doesnt say how much a setup costs, but does says, If you are

interested to setup an own station then you can get the latest printed

circuit boards and the programmed micro controller from us. If you are not

from Germany, Austria, or Switzerland you can even get a complete

controller kit, a complete amplifier kit, ferrite rod antennas, and a GPS

module for cost price, if desired.

The Cloud is an interactive lamp and speaker system, designed to mimic a

thundercloud in both appearance and entertainment. Using motion sensors the

cloud detects a users presence and creates a unique lightning and thunder

show dictated by their movement.

Ryan Burns, one of Eds followers and head of A2 Geeks, suggested that

heÂ*get a Cloud and hook it to the detector. According to the Clouds

website, The Cloud is an interactive lamp and speaker system, designed to

mimic a thundercloud in both appearance and entertainment. Using motion

sensors the cloud detects a users presence and creates a unique lightning

and thunder show dictated by their movement. We would, of course, have to

get a version without the motion sensors so that we could interface our

lightning detector.

I volunteered that we could mount the detectors antennaÂ*to the tower at the

Hands-On Museum. Ironically, I think that wed have to use a lightning

arrestor on the feedline should we actually mount it outside.

The post Use VLF to detect lightning appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio

Blog.

Show more