2013-11-17

eHam.net News

Teen Takes Lead on Call to International Space Station:

http://www.eham.net/articles/31239

ALAMO -- More than 100 students sat on the playground of Rancho Romero

Elementary School on Wednesday morning staring into the clear, blue sky,

waiting for their 10-minute date with an astronaut. Many watched in rapt

anticipation for one of the two 14-foot antenna towers perched atop one of

the school's buildings to tilt into motion. That, they were told, would be

the first sign they had made direct contact with the International Space

Station. Flying some 250 miles above them, American astronaut Mike Hopkins

was ready to take their call, and ready to be quizzed about his life in

space. "This is going to be the biggest science experiment we've done with

the school -- and my career as principal," proclaimed Skye Larsh, principal

of Rancho Romero. The lead engineer in the whole grand experiment: 16

year-old Rebecca Rubsamen, of Alamo, a sophomore at Bentley School in

Lafayette who built her own VHF radio and crafted two large antennas in her

backyard with the help of her father, Reid Rubsamen, who is also an amateur

radio enthusiast. A licensed amateur radio operator, Rebecca wanted to

return to her elementary alma mater to let students talk to astronauts in

space. She applied for permission to do the direct contact through NASA's

Amateur Radio on the International Space Station program. Since 1983, the

program has connected schools and universities with astronauts in space to

encourage interest in math and science -- and youth to become future

astronauts. NASA grants about 50 such permissions a year for amateur radio

enthusiasts to make contact with the International Space Station. This

year, there have been about 68 granted internationally. Rancho Romero's is

one of 20 in the United States this year and just the third in California,

said Ashle Harris, a NASA spokeswoman.

Ham Radios Still Relevant Today:

http://www.eham.net/articles/31238

The century-old science of radio transmissions and antennas seem archaic

compared with the cellphones and tablets of today. However, James Boyer,

known by his call sign KB9IH, says that most of the time, amateur radio

operators are waiting for the world to catch up. "The general public may

not be aware that we are at the forefront of technology," Boyer says. "We

reinvent modes of communication all the time. Amateur radios are

essentially the original cellphones - that's where the technology came

from." The Allen County Amateur Radio Technical Society's 41st annual Fort

Wayne Hamfest and Computer Expo will welcome thousands of amateur radio

operators from Indiana, Michigan, Illinois and Ohio on Saturday and Sunday.

Amateur radio, also known as ham radio, has prevailed in the digital age,

with more than 700,000 licensed operators in the U.S. today.

Ronnie Talkington Communicated with His Mom Frequently while in Vietnam:

http://www.eham.net/articles/31237

MANNINGTON -- While he was in Vietnam defending his country, Mannington

resident Ronnie Talkington made sure he wrote and talked to his mother as

often as possible. "She was having a pretty rough time because my brother

had passed away when he was in the service, and it wasn't long after that

that I was sent to Vietnam," he said. Talkington said he made calls from

Vietnam to Mannington when he could. He and his mother also communicated by

tape recordings. "I would tell her some of the things I was doing. I told

her everything that I could because there were some things I couldn't tell

her," he said. "I would ask how things were at home in Mannington."

Talkington said his mother would also tell him that she loved and missed

him. But going into the military was something Talkington wanted to do. It

all started in 1968, while Ronnie Talkington was a student at Fairmont

State. He took a semester off from college and enlisted into the Army in

May 1968. "By enlisting, I was able to get my choice of what I wanted to

be," Talkington said. "When I went into the service, I took engineering."

Talkington headed to Fort Knox for basic training. From there he went to

Fort Belvoir, Va., for Advanced Individual Training (AIT) in heavy

equipment and industrial engineering. At the top of his class, Talkington

was given the opportunity to choose his assignment. "I selected Spain but

ended up in Sacramento, Calif.," he said. During his time in Sacramento,

Talkington ran an Army Military Auxiliary Radio System (MARS). "It was a

ham radio station that transferred calls from the boys in Vietnam to their

parents or loved ones here in the United States," he said. Talkington said

he even performed a wedding ceremony through the radio. "We had radios that

allowed us to talk like we were sitting right next to each other," he

said. "But you could only get signals during a certain time of the day."

Two Sunspots Seen Coming and Going Across the Sun:

http://www.eham.net/articles/31236

Two large, complex sunspots are moving across the face of the sun. One,

which produced considerable solar activity in the past weeks, has almost

rotated off completely. A new sunspot rounded into view on Nov. 11, 2013

and is now making its way across the Earth-side of the sun. An active

region can contain one or more sunspots. The National Oceanic and

Atmospheric Administration numbers active regions consecutively as they are

observed on the sun.

Willow Cell Tower Collapses as Mat-Su Drafts New Rules:

http://www.eham.net/articles/31235

A huge wind gust blew over a nearly 200-foot-tall telecommunications tower

near Willow in late October.The rare tower toppling -- one of the first

ever reported in the Valley -- happened as the Mat-Su Borough gets ready to

revisit the contentious issue of regulating the construction of tall

towers, including those that provide cell phone service to a growing

population. The borough removed all regulations for tall towers two years

ago and, amid public criticism, last year reinstated an old ordinance as a

placeholder. Mat-Su Borough Mayor Larry DeVilbiss in October 2012 created

the five-member Tall Towers Advisory Committee to help write permanent new

regulations. The committee is finished with the job, except for one hotly

debated question expected to be decided at a late November meeting:Should

tall towers come with setbacks to protect nearby residents?Absolutely, says

committee member Rick Brenden. Especially given what happened in

Willow. "It reinforces my point. Towers do fall long and flat and they

shouldn't be placed near homes," Brenden said Thursday, the day after he

visited the tower site with Mat-Su Assembly member Jim Sykes. "My point is,

if you put up a tower on your property, keep it on your property. If you

want it over your house, that's your business."Brenden, a ham radio

operator who represents industry on the committee, supports setbacks equal

to the height of a tower, coupled with binding agreements offered to

adjoining property owners if the tower could fall on their land.

Propagation Forecast Bulletin #46 de K7RA:

http://www.eham.net/articles/31231

Solar activity remains robust. Yesterday, Thursday, November 14 the

daily sunspot number rose to 234, a number not seen since the last

blast of the second peak of the previous solar cycle, exactly a

decade ago.

Amateurlogic 60 is Here:

http://www.eham.net/articles/31230

AmateurLogic.TV 60: FreeDV, JT65 and Raspberry Pi File Server is now

available for download.

Show more