1. Who became the fastest batsman to score 5000 runs in one-day internationals when he scored 86 against West Indies?
Kohli achieved the feat in just 120 matches and 114 innings. He has so far amassed 5005 runs, which included 17 centuries and 27 fifties in his short career.
2. Who became the fastest batsman in the history of ODI Cricket to score 17 one-day international hundreds?
Virat Kohli has taken 112 innings to hit 17 hundreds in ODIs, 58 fewer than Sourav Ganguly who was the fastest to 17 ODI hundreds before him.
3. Name the planet similar in size and composition to Earth which has been discovered by astronomers outside of our solar-system?
Kepler-78b is an exoplanet orbiting around the star Kepler-78. The planet, Kepler-78b, spins around its host star in 8.5 hours this is the length of its 'year'. Kepler-78b is much hotter than Earth and inhabitable. At the time of its discovery, it was the known exoplanet most similar to Earth in terms of mass, radius and mean density.
4. Ace basketball player who has been selected for the 25th Jimmy George Foundation award for the best sportsperson of Kerala?
Geethu Anna Jose
5. Writer, critic and biographer who has been chosen for Ezhuthachan Puraskaram-2013, the highest literary honour given by the Kerala government?
Prof M K Sanu.
6. Who becomes only the third batsman in the history of one-day cricket to score a double hundred?
Sharma's 209-run knock is the second highest total by an individual in ODIs and it came off only 158 balls. It was Sachin Tendulkar (200) who touched the milestone first time against South Africa in 2010 and then Virender Sehwag (219) bettered that by making 219 against the West Indies in Indore in 2011.
7. Which cricketer has created cricket history by hitting most number of sixes (16 sixes) in an ODI innings?
Rohit Sharma. (India).
Shane Watson(Australia) had recorded 15 sixes during his innings of 185 not out off 96 balls vs Bangladesh at Dhaka on April 11, 2011.
8. Man of the match winner of 4 ODI Cricket matches played between South Africa and Pakistan held in UAE held in November -2013:
Second ODI cricket between South Africa and Pakistan held in Dubai on November 1, 2013:
Man of the match: Shahid Afridi (Pakistan).
He scored 26 runs and took 3 wickets.
Result: Pakistan won by 66 runs.
Third ODI cricket between South Africa and Pakistan held in Abu Dhabi on November 6, 2013:
Man of the match: Faf du Plessis (South Africa)
He scored 55 runs.
Result: South Africa won by 68 runs.
Fourth ODI cricket between South Africa and Pakistan held in Abu Dhabi on November 8, 2013:
Man of the match: Dale Steyn (South Africa)
He took 5 wickets.
Result: South Africa won by 28 runs.
Fifth ODI cricket between South Africa and Pakistan held in Sharja on November 11, 2013:
Man of the match: AB de Villiers (South Africa).
He scored unbeaten 115 runs.
Result: South Africa won by 117 runs.
Series South Africa won the 5-match series 4-1.
9. Who won the Player of the series award in the 5 ODI cricket matches played between South Africa and Pakistan held in UAE held in 2013?
Ryan McLaren (South Africa).
10. Who is named as the new leader of Pakistan Taliban, after the death of Hakimullah Mehsud in a drone attack?
11. Who won the Player of the Match award in the seventh ODI cricket played between India and Australia held in Bangalore on November 2, 2013?
Rohit Sharma (India).
He scored 209 runs from 158 balls which include 16 sixes and 12 fours.
Result: India won by 57 runs.
India won the 7-match series 3-2.
12. Who won the Player of the series award in the 7 ODI cricket matches between India and Australia held in India in 2013?
Rohit Sharma (India).
13. Who won the Man of the match award in the third ODI cricket match between New Zealand and Bangladesh held in Fatullah on November 3, 2013?
Shamsur Rahman (Bangladesh).
He scored 96 runs.
Bangladesh won by 4 wickets (with 4 balls remaining)
Series Bangladesh won the 3-match series 3-0.
14. Who won the Player of the series award in the 3 ODI cricket matches between New Zealand and Bangladesh held in Bangladesh in 2013?
Mushfiqur Rahim (Bangladesh).
15. Pakistan legendary folk singer who died on 3 November 2013 in Lahore, Pakistan, after suffering from throat cancer for several years?
Some of her famous songs are "Dama Dam Mast Kalandar", "Hai O Rabba nahion lagda dil mera", "Sun charkhe di mithi mithi cook mahiya meinu yaad aunda", "Wey main chori chori", and "Ankhiyan no rehen de ankhyan de kol kol". She won “Sitara-i-Imtiaz”, also spelled as Sitara-e-Imtiaz (English: Star of Excellence), the third highest honour and civilian award in the State of Pakistan.
16. Who won the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix-2013?
The 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is scheduled to take place on 23 November.
17. Which pair won the Paris Masters doubles title 2013 defeating Alexander Peya of Austria and Bruno Soares of Brazil in the final?
Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan.
18. Who becomes the first Indian to win the FIA Asia-Pacific Rally Championship title?
19. Who won the Paris Masters Men’s tennis title-2013 defeating David Ferrer in the final?
20. Who won the Sofia open women's singles tennis title-2013?
She defeated Sam Stosur in the final.
21. Which country won the 2013 Fed Cup tennis title defeating the fourth-seeded Russia?
The 2013 Fed Cup is the 51st edition of the most important tournament between national teams in women’s tennis.
22. What s the name given to the Mars orbiter launched into Earth orbit on 5 November 2013 by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)?
Mangalyaan, India’s spacecraft bound for Planet Mars is launched from Sriharikota. This is India’s first interplanetary project. It took 500 scientists and 15 months of hard work to ensure the smooth liftoff of the Mars Orbiter. It is expected to enter orbit around Mars on 24 September 2014.
23. Who becomes New York's first Democrat-elected mayor since 1989?
Bill de Blasio.
Bill de Blasio won a landslide victory over his Republican rival Joe Lhota after promising higher taxes for the rich.
Christopher J. Christie elected as the state government governor of New Jersey.
24. Man of the match winners of 2 Test Cricket matches played between India and West Indies held in India in November -2013:
First test cricket between India and West Indies held in Eden Gardens, Kolkata from November 6-8, 2013:
Man of the match: Rohit Sharma (India). He scored 177 runs in first innings.
Result: India won by an innings and 51 runs.
Second test cricket between India and West Indies held in Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai from November 14-16, 2013:
Man of the match: Pragyan Ojha (India). He took 5 wickets each in both innings.
Result: India won by an innings and 126 runs.
25. Who won the Player of the series award in the 2 Test Cricket matches played between India and West Indies held in India in November -2013?
Rohit Sharma (India).
26. Who won the man of the match award in the only T20 cricket played between Bangladesh and New Zealand held in Dhaka on November 6, 2013?
Colin Munro (New Zealand).
27. Which country will host the 2018 men's hockey World Cup?
28. Which country will host the 2018 women's hockey World Cup?
29. Which country have won the Fifa Under-17 World Cup for a record fourth time after beating Mexico 3-0 in the Final?
30. Name the powerful tropical cyclone which hit Philippines on November 8, 2013 killing at least 6,201 people?
Typhoon Haiyan, known as Typhoon Yolanda in the Philippines
31. Who won the Miss Universe-2013?
Gabriela Isler. (Miss. Venezuela)
Miss Universe 2013 was the 62nd Miss Universe pageant. It was held on November 9, 2013 at the Crocus City Hall in Krasnogorsk, Moscow Oblast, Russia.
32. Which countries have signed 5 agreements on November 8, 2013, including one on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons?
India and Kuwait.
The two sides signed five documents including an agreement on the transfer of sentenced persons, cooperation in the field of sports and youth affairs and exchange of cultural and information programmes, besides cooperation in the field of education. After the agreement on transfer of sentenced persons, the convicts of both countries can serve their remaining sentences of imprisonment or any other form of punishment in their own country.
33. Who has been listed as the world's most powerful, influential and contemporary Sikh, according to the first edition of the annual 'Sikh 100' published?
Planning Commission deputy chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia ranks as the second most powerful Sikh on the list.
34. Iran's deputy minister of industry, trade and mines who has been shot dead in his car in Tehran on November 10, 2013?
35. The Islamist Hamas group has recently appointed its first spokeswoman, a 23-year-old who used to live in Britain and speaks with a Yorkshire accent. Who is she?
36. Name the 2,000-pound European satellite which is burned up as it re-entered Earth's atmosphere in November 2013?
ESA's Gravity Field and Steady-State Ocean Circulation Explorer or GOCE (pronounced as Go-chay), had run out of propellant on October 21, and was hurling towards the Earth with a speed of 2.5 miles a day. The 5-meter (16-foot) satellite was launched in 2009 to map variations in the Earth's gravity in 3-D, provide ocean circulation patterns and make other measurements.
37. Who won the ATP World Tour Finals title-2013 with a convincing win over Rafael Nadal?
38. Which was the most-used word on the web in 2013 according to an annual survey by US-based Global Language Monitor?
It is the name of the error code that appears on an unavailable website. Then came 'fail', 'hashtag' and '@pontifex' which is the Pope's Twitter handle.
39. Francis Bacon's three-paneled painting which became the most expensive work of art ever sold at auction on November 12, 2013 when it soared to $142.4 million at Christie's?
( Francis Bacon, “Three Studies of Lucian Freud,” 1969/courtesy Portland Art Museum)
"Three Studies of Lucian Freud".
40. Which country has been ranked the worst country in the Arab League states for women’s rights, according to a recent poll conducted by Thomson Reuters conduct a poll on women’s rights?
Comoros has been ranked as the best country in the Arab League states for women’s rights.
41. The 23rd Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) was held in?
Colombo, Sri Lanka.
CHOGM was held in Colombo, Sri Lanka, from 15 to 17 November 2013. This was the first time in 40 years that the Head of the Commonwealth, Queen Elizabeth II, was not present at the CHOGM. Sri Lanka, which was originally slated to host the summit in 2011, was accused of committing atrocities during the Sri Lankan civil war and the summit was instead held in Perth, Australia.
42. Who has become the fastest Indian bowler to complete hundred Test wickets during the second match against West Indies at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai?
Ashwin completed 100 wickets in 18 tests, surpassing Erapalli Prasanna who achieved the feat in 20 tests.
43. Union Ministry of Environment & Forests (MoEF) on 18 October 2013 approved a proposal for Western Ghats development. The proposal prepared by the panel is headed by?
Kasturirangan Panel has recommended a ban on development activities in 60000 sq km ecologically sensitive area spread over six states of Gujarat, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Goa, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
44. Name of the diamond auctioned by Sotheby's in Geneva on November 13, 2013 which is sold for a World record price of USD 83,187,381?
The Pink Star.
The Pink Star, formerly known as the Steinmetz Pink, is a diamond weighing 59.60 carat (11.92 g), rated in color as Fancy Vivid Pink by the Gemological Institute of America. The Pink Star was mined by De Beers in 1999 in South Africa, and weighed 132.5 carat in the rough. The diamond is sold for a world record for a diamond of any colour and, indeed, for any gemstone. Prior to the sale the record had been held by the Graff Pink. It was bought by New York diamond cutter Isaac Wolf who renamed it The Pink Dream.
45. Which stadium has been selected as the venue for Sachin Tendulkar’s final Test (200th test) against the West Indies?
Wankhede stadium, Mumbai.
46. Who are named for the Bharat Ratna for the year 2014?
C.N.R. Rao (scientist) and Sachin Tendulkar (Cricketer).
Sachin is the first sportsperson chosen for the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award. Prof. Rao is a well recognised international authority in solid state and materials chemistry, who has published hundreds of research papers. He is the third scientist, after C. V. Raman and the former President, A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, to be awarded the Bharat Ratna.
47. Indian-American physician, who has been nominated by President Barack Obama as Surgeon General of the US?
48. Name the Project 11430 modified Kiev-class aircraft carrier which entered into service with the Indian Navy in 2013?
The ship has been renamed in honour of Vikramaditya, a legendary 1st century BC emperor of Ujjain, India. Originally built as Baku and commissioned in 1987, the carrier served with the Soviet (until the dissolution of the Soviet Union) and Russian Navies before being decommissioned in 1996 as she was too expensive to operate on a post-Cold War budget. The carrier was purchased by India on 20 January 2004 after years of negotiations at a final price of $2.35 billion. The ship successfully completed her sea trials in July 2013 and aviation trials in September 2013. She was formally commissioned on 16 November 2013 at a ceremony held at Severodvinsk, Russia.
49. Who is elected as the new president of Maldives?
He is the 6th and current President of the Republic of Maldives. Yameen won the Maldivian presidential election, 2013.
50. India’s first women’s bank, the Bharatiya Mahila Bank has been inaugurated in?
Bharatiya Mahila Bank is India's first all women Bank created particularly to cater the needs of the women.
51. Who won the United States Grand Prix-2013?
Sebastian Vettel won a record eighth successive race when he triumphed United States Grand Prix.
The German Red Bull driver beat Michael Schumacher's previous record of seven wins in a row in the same season set in 2004.
52. Which country won the Davis Cup Tennis title -2013?
Czech Republic beat Serbia in Belgrade to retain Davis Cup title.
53. Who won the prestigious Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for the year 2013?
Angela Merkel, the first woman to be elected to the highest German office, was selected for this year's prestigious Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for her role in global affairs and especially the crises confronting the global economy and European Union since the 2008 economic meltdown.
54. Which country bagged the first rank of 2nd South Asian Federation (SAF) Junior Athletics Championships with 20 gold, 20 silver and 12 bronze medals?
Sri Lanka managed the second position with 10 gold, 10 silver and 14 bronze medals, the third position was taken by Bangladesh with only three bronze medals.
55. British biochemist who won two Nobel Prizes for his work on DNA and protein sequencing, died on November 19, 2013?
Sanger won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry twice, one of only two people to have done so in the same category (the other is John Bardeen in Physics), the fourth person overall with two Nobel Prizes, and the third person overall with two Nobel Prizes in the sciences. In 1958, he was awarded a Nobel Prize in chemistry "for his work on the structure of proteins, especially that of insulin". In 1980, Walter Gilbert and Sanger shared half of the chemistry prize "for their contributions concerning the determination of base sequences in nucleic acids". The other half was awarded to Paul Berg "for his fundamental studies of the biochemistry of nucleic acids, with particular regard to recombinant DNA".
56. The Sikh man in the USA who will receive $50,000 as compensation to settle a religious discrimination lawsuit against a car dealership in New Jersey for denying him a job for maintaining a beard?
Gurpreet Kherha had filed a discrimination charge with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and a lawsuit in 2009 against Tri-County Lexus, where he had applied for a position as a sales associate and was qualified for the job. The car dealership requested Kherha to shave his beard; he refused to comply due to his religious beliefs.
57. Who became the first schoolboy cricketer to hit a 500 plus score in an official inter-school match?
He created a national record by amassing 546 runs, studded with 85 boundaries and five sixes in the inter Harris Shield tournament. Prithvi eclipsed his senior schoolmate and former India opener Wasim Jaffer's nephew Arman's score of 498, which he scored a few years back.
58. Man of the match winners of 3 ODI Cricket matches played between India and West Indies held in India in November -2013:
First ODI between India and West Indies held in Kochi, Kerala on November 21, 2013:
Man of the match: Virat Kohli (India). He scored 86 runs.
Result: India won by 6 wickets.
Second ODI between India and West Indies held in Visakhapatnam on November 24, 2013:
Man of the match: Darren Sammy (West Indies). He scored unbeaten 63 runs and took one wicket.
Result: West Indies won by 2 wickets.
Third ODI between India and West Indies held in Kanpur on November 27, 2013:
Man of the match: Shikhar Dhawan (India). He scored 119 runs.
Result: India won by 5 wickets.
59. Who won the Player of the series award in the 3 ODI Cricket matches played between India and West Indies held in India in November -2013?
Virat Kohli (India).
60. Who has taken over as the new Chairman of the 20th Law Commission of India?
Shri Justice Ajit Prakash Shah.
61. Who is the winner of the World Chess Championship 2013 held from 9 to 22 November 2013 in Chennai, India?
Carlsen defeated Viswanathan Anand in the World Chess Championship 2013.
62. Who won the man of the match award in the first Ashes Test (Australia Vs England) held in Brisbane from November 21-24, 2013?
Mitchell Johnson (Australia). He scored 64 runs and unbeaten 39 runs in second innings. He also took 4 wickets in first innings and 5 wickets in second innings.
Result: Australia won by 381 runs.
63. Name the Chinese jet-powered unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV) conducted its maiden flight on 20 November, 2013?
The Sharp Sword (Lijian)
China successfully flew a stealth drone called "Sharp Sword" for the first time
64. What is the name given to the new predatory dinosaur that lived in Utah around 100 million years ago?
Researchers of The Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago announced the discovery of Siats meekerorum. Siats meekerorum was over 9 meters long and weighed more than 4 tons. Despite its large size, the dinosaur is not a close relative of Tyrannosaurus rexand other tyrannosaurs. Rather, it belongs to the carcharodontosaurian group of theropods, whose more famous members include giants like the ArgentineanGiganotosaurus.
65. Who has been retained national coach of the men’s boxing team of India till the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro?
Gurbaksh Singh Sandhu.
66. Which state won the overall championship in the 67th National swimming championships?
Railways won the Men’s title and Maharashtra won Women’s title.
67. Name the space probe which is successfully launched by NASA from Cape Canaveral in Florida on November 18, 2013?
Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN).
MAVEN was successfully launched aboard an Atlas V launch vehicle at the beginning of the first launch window.
68. Who is the 15th Chief of Army Staff of the Pakistan Army?
General Raheel Sharif.
On 27 November 2013, Sharif was appointed as the 15th Chief of Army Staff of the Pakistan Army by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
69. Prime Minister of Latvia who has resigned after accepting political responsibility for the collapse of a supermarket roof in the capital that killed 54 people?
70. Who was named the greatest Spanish sports star in history by readers of Spanish sports daily?
The winner of 13 Grand Slam’s and the current number 1 in the ATP world ranking, received the award at the Gala for the 75th anniversary of the Spanish sports paper Diario Marca.
71. Which book became the world’s most expensive book late after it fetched a staggering $14 million at a US auction?
"The Bay Psalm Book”.
The Bay Psalm Book" is a tiny book of psalms from 1640. The book is a translation of Biblical psalms and was printed by Puritan settlers in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Only 11 of the original 1,700 copies have survived.
72. Who has topped a list of the 101 most powerful British Asians and Asians resident in the UK?
73. Managing editor of Tehelka who resigned on November 27, a week after its editor Tarun Tejpal was exposed as having allegedly sexually assaulting a woman journalist colleague?
74. India’s 350 km range Surface-to-Surface ballistic missile which was successfully launched on November 27, 2013 from a naval ship off the coast of Balasore?
Dhanush, developed by DRDO, is India’s short range (350 km range) strategic ballistic missile capable of being launched from naval ships. It is capable of carrying both conventional as well as nuclear warheads with pay-load capacity of 500 kg.