2013-08-11

I recently migrated my website to a new webhost. After waiting for the DNS re-propagation period to run its course, I soon discovered that although I could load the website without issue at my workplace (Macintosh) I was unable to bring it up on my computer at home. After a bit of back and forth with the techs at the webhost, it eventually became obvious that the problem must be on my end somewhere.

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I have flushed the DNS cache several times, cleared cache and cookies in several different browsers, rebooted modem and computer several times but still my website refuses to load. When I run the ping command and traceroute command the request times out immediately on the ping command and eventually does so on the traceroute command. One thing odd I have noticed is that when I ping the website from home it is pinging the wrong IP address (I am using the domain name when I run the command) whereas it pings the correct IP from work.

Strangely enough when I launch Win 7's Virtual XP mode and open a browser in it and type in my website it opens with no problem! To say the least I am stumped and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is going on and what I need to do to get the website to open on the Win 7 side.

One thing I should add is that prior to the move I changed from a dedicated IP to a shared one. I don't know if this is playing a part in what I'm seeing or not. It still doesn't explain why it loads in my virtual XP mode though.

Any thoughts?

Show more