2014-02-27

I don't have one myself, but every video I've seen from a GoPro has used a

wide-angle lens that is moderately fisheye - meaning that the horizon and

other straight lines bend unless they go through the center of the lens. I

guess it's really just plain old barrel distortion.

Would it have been possible for GoPro to use a lens with the same 127-

degree field of view, but rectilinear instead of fisheye? If it is possible,

would it have been prohibitively expensive for a camera of this price range?

Well, obviously I don't know anything about lens design, but to my eye the

fisheye effect, even though modest, is a "con" for this camera, and just

wondered if a different approach might have been possible, or might be

possible, without losing the wide angle field of view.

Show more