Definition of arthritis.
The word arthritis means “Joint inflammation”. Inflammation is one of the body’s natural reactions to disease or injury and includes swelling, pain, and stiffness. Inflammation that lasts for a very long time or recurs, as in arthritis, can lead to tissue damage.
Due to immobility it leads to obesity, cholesterol and heart diseases. The arthritis leads to chronic pain, swelling, fatigue, tenderness, rash and fever.
According to arthritis Foundation in Atlanta, there are 100, different forms of arthritis. The common one is Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, gout and Lupus, out of which the Osteoarthritis is the common one.
Nearly 1 in 2 people may develop symptomatic knee Osteoarthritis by age 45 Years.
Arthritis Rheum 2008; 59(9):1207-1213. Abstract [Data source 1999-2003 Johnston country Osteoarthritis Project data].
2 in 3 people, who are ones, may develop symptoms of knee Osteoarthritis, in their life time.
Arthritis Rheum Arthritis Rheum 2008; 59(9):1207-1213. Abstract [Data source 1999-2003 Johnston country Osteoarthritis Project data].
One in 4 people develop painful hip arthritis in their life time.
Osteoarthritis cartilage 2010; 18(11); 1372-9. Abstract [Data source 1999-2003 Johnston country Osteoarthritis Project data].
The other forms of arthritis are: Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, Gout, Fibromyalgia, Pseudo-gout, Ankylosing-Spondylitis, Juvenile idiopathic arthritis, Still-disease, Traumatic arthritis, Supportive arthritis and gouty arthritis, psoriatic and septic arthritis.
All age group men and women are affected by arthritis; women are 3 times more vulnerable to arthritis than men. Rheumatoid arthritis common in age group 35-50, while Osteoarthritis occurs at the age of about 65 years. The common causes are: genetic, age, infection, deficiency of organic sodium and minerals, trauma, mental or physical strain, obesity, cold weather or excessive use of rich food.
One major cause of inflammation in arthritis is caused due to poor diet, so if we use well balanced diet with the following use of food in the diet will help to control the arthritis.
· Sesame seeds, garlic, ginger, raw potato juice, coconut juice, pineapple juice, honey, cinnamon and green grams.
· Use cabbage, carrot, cucumber, celery, lettuce, tomatoes as salad and cooked vegetables like: asparagus, beet, cauliflower, cabbage, carrot, mushroom, spinach, turnip, peas and squash.
· Leukotriene’s gum present in Boswell plants, it improves body auto-immune mechanism.
· Cherries having large quantity of magnesium and potassium help to reduce pain of the arthritis.
· Dandelion leaves, is a good source of vitamin A & C. The vitamins are needed to repair the body damage tissue and give relieve to the arthritis.
· The chemical Flavonoid present in the roots of Desert-Devil act as anti-inflammatory drug.
· Alfalfa seeds and cod liver oil.
· Corn, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, fruits, devil’s dew, bilberry, yarrow, yucca, turnip, skull cap, hyssop, burdock and boswellia, reduce uric acid level in the body and help in arthritis. Apple cider vinegar, winter green oil and cayenne powder reduce body inflammation. (www.home remedies web.com).
· Parsley, broccoli and spinach contain nutrient beta-carotene, carrot, ginger and apple contains copper and pineapple juice contains an enzyme bromelain, which have anti-inflammatory properties (www.naturalnews.com).
· Quinoa, beans, tofu, milk, egg, nuts, butter and spinach are good source of protein, help in arthritis.
· Pumpkin seeds, nuts, olive oil and flax seeds are good source of omega-3-fatty acids, act as anti-inflammatory in body and give relieve to the arthritis, also cur -cumin and turmeric have similar action, while other sources are salmon, herring, mackerel, sardines, anchovies, rainbow, trout, pacific oyster fortified eggs and walnut are good source of omega-3-fatty acids.
· Vitamin C contains nutrient collagen, which is the component of cartilage. Vitamin C, found in guava, sweet peppers, oranges, grapefruit, strawberries, pineapple, kohlrabi, papaya, lemon, broccoli, kale, kidney beans, kiwi, cantaloupe, mangoes, white potato and mustard green .
· Sweet potatoes, carrot, kale, butter nut, squash, turnip-green, pumpkin, mustard green, cantaloupe, red-popper, apricot and spinach, these reduce the risk to develop inflammation, and foods that contains beta-cryptoxantin are: winter squash, pumpkin, persimmon, papaya, tangerines, red-pepper, corn, organs, and apricot help in arthritis.
· Bio-flavonoids are anti-oxidants, it sources are: onion, kale, cherry, tomatoes, broccoli, blue-berry, black-currants, elderberries, lingo- berries, apricot and apple with skin..
· The best source of anti-oxidant, authocyanidins are: black berries, black currant, blue-berry, egg plant, elderberries, raspberries, cherries, boysen berries, grapes, strawberries and plume.
· Walnut, canola oil and linseed oil or flax seeds contain omega-3-fatty acid and reduce inflammation.
· Sulfur natural source is methylsulphonylmethane found in meat, milk, poultry and fish, helps in reducing inflammation in arthritis.
Certain herbs are used to treat arthritis.
These herbs are. American ginseng, bog bean, hot tea, licorice, mustard plaster, oregano, pine apple, red pepper, rosemary, sesame seeds, stinging nettle, touomic, wild cucumber bark, wild yam, willow, winter green and yucca. Some of these herbs used topically, so minerals are absorbed in the skin, before use any herbal treatment consult your doctor (disable. World.Com).
Other methods to control arthritis.
These methods are as under:
· Drink water, kept over night in copper container.
· Exercise, moderately like, walking, hiking and swimming.
· Keep body warm.
· Maintain normal body weight.
· Perform yoga exercise.
· Avoid junk foods, fatty and greasy food.
· Avoid hydrogenated oil.
· Avoid cold food and drink.
· Avoid constipation.
· Heat/cold treatment reduces arthritis symptoms.
· Hot shower also reduce pain of arthritis.
· Magnets therapy; it comes in many forms such as bracelets, inserts, paid or disk; this is most effective in osteoprocess.
· Mind/body therapy; it helps with stress management; they improve sleep and pain perception.
· Saint Hildegard’s ointment used for massage on painful joints.
· Use of glucosamine is used to reduce the inflammation.
· Use of Epson salt; is good for bone health.
· Avoid foods like; liver, dried beans, peas, anchovies, fried food, more sugar diet, poultry, yeast products, pea nut and meat because they contain purine and increase uric acid and arthritis.
· Weight loss; loosing weight reduce the stress on weight bear joints, increase mobility and limit future joint injury (Myoclinic.com).
· Assistive device; using vanes, walkers, raised toilet-seats and other assistive devices.
· Reduce exposure to pollutants and help purge your body of poisons, if one use anti-oxidant food but expose to pollutants of mercury, lead, aluminum and inorganic plastic compounds still develop arthritis.
· Acupuncture, chiropractic medicine and rehabilitative therapy also help to alleviate joint or muscle pain.
· Always avoid Brussels sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower, they contains sulforaphame chemical which cause joint inflammation.
· Black cohosh (climicifugar racemosa), celery (apium-graveoleus), devil’s claw, all contains anti-inflammatory compounds and helps in arthritis.
· Vitamins and nutrition therapy for arthritis, these useful vitamins are; Vitamin A, C, B6, E, B3 and Zinc.
· Eat well; a diet rich in fruits and vegetables helps to decrease inflammation.
· Treat depression, if there is more pain there is more depression.
· Sea bath, sea water has Iodine, which help in acid-alkaline balance and helps to regenerate worn-out tissue and nourish the skeletal structure. (Home remedies for you.com).
· Thunder god vine improves auto-immune and inflammatory conditions.
· Eucalyptus oil; apply oil on the joints and wrap with plastic.
· An ancient remedy use hypodermic needle or live bee, this stimulate the immune system to release inflammatory substance, and this is called counter irritation theory (home remedy for you.com).
· Wear gloves to bed; wear snug-fitting pair of gloves to bed help arthritis.
· Arthritis treatment may be involving surgical procedure as well.
· Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAIDS) such as Ibuprofen shows good results.
· Common food allergens like wheat or soya or anything loaded with sugar can promote inflammation and weaken the body joints.
If we take care of all the above points, we can live very healthy life and can cope-up with the pains of arthritis.