Good morning! Here are 10 things you need to know this Saturday morning:
1) The custodian of Benin tradition stool, the Oba of Benin, Omo n’Oba Erediauwa Akpolokpolo I, is dead. The Edo State Government issued a statement announcing the death of the Oba of Benin. The monarch, according to the Iyase of Benin Kingdom, Chief Sam Igbe, joined his ancestors on Friday.
2) President Muhammadu Buhari has disclosed that his administration would use the stolen fund by corrupt officials to rehabilitate the country’s worsening economy, if recovered.
Buhari, who made this disclosure at the National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, Orientation Camp in Ede, Osun State during the swearing-in ceremony of 2016 Batch ‘A’ corps members, said his government was working towards creating more employment opportunities for the youth.
3) Governors of 19 Northern states has warned Nigerians to stop the labelling of perpetrators of crimes around the country as Fulani people.
The governors, who met behind closed doors said, as much as they condemn the recent attacks in Enugu and other parts of the country, they are not happy that some people are labelling those behind the attacks as Fulani people.
Chairman of the Northern States Governors Forum (NSGF) and Governor of Borno State, Alhaji Kashim Shettim, who spoke on behalf of the governors said, it was an insult to label criminals as Fulani.
4) There seems not to be end to the ongoing scarcity of fuel as reports from across the states indicate that the product is still selling above the normal pump price.
Market surveys by our reporters across some major cities on Friday show that the premium motor spirit, otherwise known as petrol, is selling between 150 to 180 naira per litre in Abuja, Lagos, Imo and Benue State. This is contrary to the earlier promise by the minister of state for petroleum, Ibe Kachikwu that the nationwide scarcity would end in matter of days.
5) The Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, has stated that there was nothing wrong with its call on the federal government to increase the National Minimum Wage from N18,000 Minimum Wage to N56,000.
The union noted that the development became imperative because what the Naira could buy five years ago has reduced by more than a half.
6) President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the recurrent attacks on media practitioners in Africa.
Buhari said his administration was not and will never be a threat to Nigerian media.
The President, who made this known in his keynote address at the opening of the Congress of the Federation of African Journalists in Abuja, said that his administration believes that the reason for the existence of any government is the security and welfare of its citizens, whether or not they are journalists.
7) A major political tidal wave hit the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in Ondo State as two former commissioners, Local government Chairmen, two former Lawmakers and 5,000 others have defected to the opposition All Progressive Congress APC.
The defectors explained that their reason for joining the APC was due to failed promises of the PDP-led government in the state.
8) Troops of 7 Division Strike Group Team B attached to 22 Brigade of the Nigerian Army have cleared off terrorists from Jadda village, a stronghold of the Boko Haram foot soldiers in Borno State.
The troops, who engaged the Boko Haram fighters in the area and killed four of them, made a startling discovery – a big pit where the Boko Haram terrorists dump hapless victims of their nefarious activities to decompose.
9) The Catholic Bishop of Nsukka Diocese, Prof. Godfrey Onah has lambasted security agencies over the mass murder carried out by Fulani herdsmen at Nimbo community in Enugu State.
Bishop Onah, who addressed journalists in Nsukka, disclosed that the killings could have been averted but for the “tactical withdrawal of security agencies from the community.”
10) After a long silence, Mavin’s First lady, Tiwa Savage, has confirmed that her marriage to Tee Billz has crashed.
Tiwa, in an interview with Pulse TV, revealed how she found out about the Instagram posts, where TeeBillz posted things that got people scared and how she was afraid for his life.
She however said she was not bothered over the allegations levelled against her by her estranged husband.
The post Nigeria Newspaper Headlines: Top 10 Stories You Should Know Today 30th April appeared first on NIGERIA MOTION.