2014-04-06

I would like to know which recipe for the .243 would make the most versatile load for ground squirrels, coyotes and mule deer if I could ONLY have one loading for all these animals.

I am not a long-range hunter: about 200 yards max.

I need consistent "minute of squirrel" accuracy with enough punch to take down a mule deer doe with a well-placed shot.

I like to take the KISS principle. (keep it simple, stupid)

I am considering getting a new Remington Mod. 700 CDL in .243 Winchester.

I want maximum hunting versatility from one gun and one load as a hunter in California and neighboring lower-48 western states like Nevada, Oregon and Arizona. Perhaps the elusive perfect load recipe I seek should also be one the gun "likes" well too. I don't want spend money and time monkeying around with a bunch of different specialized guns and loads for each kind of critter.

For .243, I just need short-range mule-deer punch combined with "minute of squirrel" accuracy. Duplicating the performance of a good .243 factory load from Federal should be good enough for me.

I have never been a handloader in my life either and I am also considering taking up that new kick coz of the high price and shortage of ammo, especially

the traditional necked-down small-bore centerfire calibers.

I love the Remington Model 700 CDL and its looks and that new gun only comes in:

.243, .25-06, .270, 7mm-08, .30-06, 7mm Remmag, .300 Winmag, and 7mm Rem ultra mag.

.243 is the only thing above soft on the shoulder from a muzzle-brake-less bolt gun and having a broad enough repertoire for my hunting needs: I don't think the bigger calibers shoot as sharp as the .243 anyway

Its factory ammo price is horrid, though, and OUT OF STOCK is a common thing seen at websites of ammo vendors for this caliber.

Is a Lee single-stage press starter kit a good place to start handloading?

Are reloading supplies/components plentiful and cheap for .243?

Is Norma brass the best? How many reloadings does one typically get out of one case?

I have heard that .243 can be reloaded for about .25 cents a pop where as factory .243, when you finally find it, will be about .95 to $1.75 a pop...ouch in the wallet!!

I figure I will shoot about 100 rounds a month six months out of the year. 600 rounds a year including sighting the rifle in and a little range practice.

Once the reloading equipment and manual is paid for, there is just powder, brass, re-sizing lube, press oil, brass cleaning media, primers and bullets as the consumables in reloading.

At .25 cents a pop, 600 reloaded rounds a year should equal $150/year in ammo. If factory .243 ammo is .95 cents a pop for the 'cheap' stuff, that would be a whopping $570/year

just to go BANG at mostly ground squirrels!

Then, I could also just get a .22 for ground squirrels and skunks and reserve the center-fire rifle for larger critters as coyotes and deer which I expect to fire at many fewer rounds than at squirrels. And put aside the notion of handloading altogether. .22 Long Rifle is about 14 cents a pop online.

Show more