**_Arizona Department of Corrections_**
*Safer communities through effective corrections.*
**CORRECTIONAL EDUCATION PROGRAM TEACHER**
Support Services Division/ Education
Arizona State Prison Complex (ASPC) – Lewis
26700 S. Hwy 85
Buckeye, AZ 85326
**LOCATION ALERT: This position is located at the Arizona State Prison Complex – Lewis which is between Buckeye and Gila Bend; this is 55 miles from central Phoenix.**
The Arizona Department of Corrections (ADC) is seeking an **ARIZONA CERTIFIED ELEMENTARY,** **SECONDARY or SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER**to provide instruction in various academic subjects to inmates who have not achieved a high school diploma.
* Instructs inmates who have not achieved mandatory literacy and/or full academic achievement through K-12
* Implements teacher-designed lesson plans and exhibits collaboration between classroom and Special Education teachers for the benefit of students
* Makes academic assessments, tracks progress, and maintains accurate educational records
* Develops and corrects diagnostic tests
* Uses effective classroom management techniques and ensures the security of all testing instruments
* Provides monthly work evaluations to management and consults with highly qualified teachers on subject matter concerns or questions
* Escorts and supervises inmates, tutors, aides, or clerks in the educational building/classroom
* Performs other duties appropriate to the assignment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
* Laws, rules, regulations, and policies governing education and teaching
* Current instructional methodologies and counseling techniques
* Appropriate testing procedures and interpretation of specific tests
* Personal computer and software sufficient to perform daily tasks
* Written and verbal communication
* Teaching and classroom facilitation
* Establishing and maintaining interpersonal relationships
* Organization and multi-tasking
* Time management
* Work in a prison environment
* Provide academic instruction and counseling to inmates
* Provide individual and group instruction and education counseling
* Work cooperatively with other education staff
* Learn and adhere to departmental rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
SPECIAL SELECTION FACTOR(S):
* Candidates must have a Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university, and a current valid **Arizona Department of Education (ADE) Teaching Certificate in the approved areas of** **Elementary, Secondary or Special Education**.
* Requires possession of, and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to drivers license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12).
* Arizona Department of Public Safety Fingerprint Card
* Experience teaching grades 7-12
* No Child Left Behind (NCLB) certification
* Highly Qualified Status in Language Arts, English, or Math
* Arizona Department of Education Special Education Certificate
* Structured English Immersion (SEI) endorsement
Employment is contingent on the selected applicant passing a background investigation and a drug test*.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
* Sick leave
* Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
* Health and dental insurance
* Retirement plan
* Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
* Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
Positions in this classification participate in the Correctional Officer Retirement Program (CORP). Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) fully vested teachers can request a waiver to remain in ASRS.
Current ADC Employees: Consult with your respective Human Resources Liaison if you are in a different retirement plan than the one indicated above.
Contact the ADC Employment Unit at (602) 255-2430 for assistance with the application process.
*We are committed to providing a drug and alcohol free workplace. ADC conducts statewide random drug testing for all employees in a safety-sensitive positions.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting the Employment Unit Manager at (602) 255-2430. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
*Post Date:* 05/22/2015
*Close Date:* 06/05/2015