Senior DevOps Engineer
VMware is seeking a Senior DevOps Engineer for Sofia, Bulgaria. The Senior DevOps Engineer will work on the design, implementation, and day to day maintenance and support of the highly available, globally distributed, shared, production R&D Infrastructure (Network, Storage, Servers, Virtualization, OS, Applications, etc.). The candidate will be a part of a larger, dynamic team of engineers, supporting all aspects of Production R&D Operations. We are seeking highly experienced and motivated DevOps Engineer experienced with multiple operating systems and virtualization, high-availability, capacity planning and management in virtualized environments, performance tuning and system monitoring, troubleshooting, fault isolation and root cause analysis. We are looking for a person with great technical, interpersonal and communication skills and passion for working with VMware products and open source software.
* Design and implement next generation internal R&D Cloud platforms
* Expand and evolve Production R&D Infrastructure in a scalable, highly available, and distributed fashion.
* Perform requirements gathering and analysis to determine appropriate solutions.
* Conceptualize, develop, and evaluate different architectures based on user and application requirements.
* Perform performance analysis, proactive troubleshooting, continual improvement and capacity planning for production virtualized environments.
* Review entire environment and execute initiatives to reduce failures, defects and improve overall performance and reliability.
* Create Architecture, Designs and Documentation that will lead to consistent reliability, scalability, security, and performance of the R&D Infrastructure.
* Support and improve internal tools for deployment of the shared R&D Infrastructure.
* Implement and maintain tools for proactive monitoring, planning, and performance tuning of the R&D Infrastructure.
* Design, implementation and maintenance of automation and configuration management for all levels of Production R&D Infrastructure.
* Perform complex day to day troubleshooting and resolution of R&D Infrastructure issues (Network, Storage, Servers, Virtualization, OS, Applications, etc.).
* Perform deployment functions to ensure releases follow proper implementation lifecycle.
* Refine and enhance processes that allow for proper testing and validation of releases that go from development to staging to production environments.
* Participate in programs to deploy pre-GA VMware products in production and provide direct feedback for product improvement.
* Be able to keep a cool head under “fire” and take part in a shared weekly guru rotation.
* Effectively interact with other R&D & IT organizations in order to accomplish shared projects successfully.
* 7+ years of experience working in large, high-volume, and production virtualized environments.
* 5+ years of hands on experience with VMware vCenter/vSphere and other Enterprise VMware products.
* Up-to-date VCP/VCAP Certifications.
* 5+ years of hands on Linux administration experience (CentOS/RedHat/SUSE preferred).
* Must have Scripting Experience – (Ruby, Python, Shell preferred).
* Good understanding of TCP/IP and basic networking concepts (Subnets, VLANs, Jumbo Frames, LACP, NIC Teaming, Unicast/Broadcast/Multicast, ACLs, DNS, DHCP, SSH, etc.).
* Work experience of running DHCP, DNS, TFTP, LDAP and SMTP services.
* Work experience with using Load Balancers (F5/HAProxy/Apache preferred) to improve scalability and reliability of production services.
* Hands on experience with HP Proliant Servers and Blades or other Enterprise Servers/Blades (Cisco, Dell, etc.).
* Possess "start-up" creativity and execution, enthusiasm, technical credibility without hubris, and follow-through.
* Good knowledge of storage protocols like FC, CIFS and NFS.
* Must be an eager self-starter with a strong work ethic and an ability to operate independently without much supervision. Should be able to multi-task effectively and finish projects in a timely fashion.
* Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, including documentation and the ability to interact effectively with executives and engineers.
* Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
Preferred additional skills:
* VCDX Certification.
* Experience with the vSphere API, PowerCLI, RbVmomi or PyVmomi.
* Puppet Experience.
* Linux+/RHCE Certification.
* EMC Storage Administration Experience.
* Cisco Switch/Router Administration Experience.
* Infoblox Experience.
* Work experience of running Database Servers (MySQL/PostgreSQL preferred).
* Work experience of running Web Servers (Apache/Nginx preferred).
* Attractive compensation package - competitive salary, flexible bonus scheme, company sponsored mobile phone plan and additional long term incentives
* Individual career path - management and technical career growth, enhanced by learning and development program, regular performance assessment, teams of world-wide IT professionals
* Healthy work environment - company sponsored medical program, food and beverage program, sport activities, open communication
* Work-life balance – 25 days paid vacation, team buildings and celebrations
All applications will be treated with strict confidentiality.
As part of the VMware global standards for integrity you will be required to go through a pre-employment screening process before you join.
**Why work for our Division**
VMware’s world-class, award-winning R&D team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the R&D team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. R&D team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has R&D offices in: Silicon Valley; Burlington, MA; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China.
VMware is the leader in cloud infrastructure, business mobility and virtualization software. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and policy-driven automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace.
With 2014 revenues of $6.04 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers, 75,000 partners, and 18,000+ employees in 120+ locations around the world. At the core of what we do are our employees who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Want to be part of a compassionate community that thrives on architecting what's next in IT? Learn more at vmware.com/careers.