2013-11-18

From an Overall Perspective...

Probably the biggest fear for a team hoping for an At-Large is the threat of a non-7-win team stealing an AQ from a good team. These situations usually happen a couple times each season, so it is a real threat. Fortunately, we're now down to only one chance where that can happen this year – in the Patriot League. If Lafayette beats Lehigh next week, they will get the Patriot AQ with a 5-6 record and put Lehigh on the bubble. Hopefully, Lehigh stops them.

Fifteen more teams were completely eliminated this week while six conference AQs were clinched. There are now only 38 teams alive for 24 playoff spots.

From a JMU Perspective...

And the Dukes are done. Things were going right for them around the rest of the country, but JMU just couldn't capitalize. They were doomed by an embarrassing 1st half against Stony Brook and just couldn't recover. While they could possibly reach 7 wins, it would take a 50-point win over Towson to get back in the playoff picture. It's over.

By the Numbers (104 total teams)...

Teams Alive for any Playoff spot:

10/13 – 101

10/20 – 98

10/27 – 81

11/3 – 75

11/10 – 53

11/17 – 38

Teams Alive for an At-Large spot:

10/13 – 79

10/20 – 71

10/27 – 58

11/3 – 50

11/10 – 38

11/17 – 31

Teams that have reached 7 wins (without clinching a conference):

10/13 – 1

10/20 – 4

10/27 – 7

11/3 – 14

11/10 – 23

11/17 – 24

Here's the overall playoff eligibility list. I am not listing transitioning teams (ODU, Incarnate Word, etc) to keep this more straightforward. The number in parenthesis after a team is how many more losses they can have before they can't reach 7 wins. Teams that are in RED cannot reach 7 wins and therefore must win their conference AQ. When a team reaches 7 wins, I will list them in GREEN. When a team clinches an AQ spot, I will list them in BLUE.

Clinched Conference Titles
Big Sky – EWU
Big South –
CAA – Maine
MEAC –
MVC – ND State
NEC – Sacred Heart
OVC – E. Illinois
Patriot –
Pioneer –
SoCon –
Southland – SE Louisiana

CAA (6 Teams Alive)
Maine – 10 wins – clinched AQ
Towson – 9 wins

Delaware – 7 wins

W&M – 7 wins
JMU (0)

UNH (0)

Big Sky (5 Teams Alive)
EWU – 8 wins – clinched AQ
Northern Arizona – 8 wins

Montana – 8 wins

Southern Utah – 7 wins

Montana State (0)

Big South (2 Teams Alive)
Coastal Carolina – 10 wins

Charleston Southern – 8 wins

Independent (1 Team Alive)

Monmouth (0)

MEAC (2 Teams Alive)
Bethune-Cookman – 8 wins

SC State – 7 wins

MVC (4 Teams Alive)
ND State – 9 wins – clinched AQ
Youngstown State – 8 wins

SD State – 7 wins

No. Iowa (0)

NEC (1 Team Alive)
Sacred Heart – 8 wins - clinched AQ

OVC (5 Teams Alive)
E. Illinois – 10 wins - clinched AQ
Tenn. State – 8 wins

Jacksonville State – 7 wins

Tenn.-Martin – 7 wins

EKU (0)

Patriot League (3 Teams Alive)
Fordham – 10 Wins (Cannot win AQ)

Lehigh – 8 wins
Lafayette

Pioneer League (3 Teams Alive)
Marist – 8 wins

Butler – 7 wins

Dayton – 7 wins (eliminated from AQ)

SoCon (3 Teams Alive)
Chatty – 8 wins

Samford – 7 wins

Furman (0)

Southland (3 Teams Alive)
SE Louisiana – 9 wins (*) - clinched AQ
Sam Houston State – 8 wins (*)

McNeese State – 8 wins

Must Win Out to reach 7 wins:

JMU

UNH

Montana State

Monmouth

No. Iowa

EKU

Furman

Completely Eliminated from the Playoffs (Teams in RED were eliminated this week)

Savannah State (too dumb for postseason)

Georgia Southern (moving to I-A)

Appy State (moving to I-A)

Villanova

Stony Brook

Richmond

URI

Albany
Cal Poly

Sac State

UC Davis

Portland State

Idaho State

North Dakota

Northern Colorado

Weber State
Liberty

Gardner-Webb

Presbyterian

VMI
Delaware State

Hampton

Norfolk State

Morgan State

NC A&T

NC Central

Florida A&M

Howard

Missouri State

South Dakota

So. Illinois

Illinois State

W. Illinois

Indiana State
Robert Morris

Duquesne

Cent. Conn. State

StFU

Bryant

Wagner

Murray State

Tenn. Tech

SE Missouri State

Austin Peay
Colgate

Bucknell

Holy Cross

Georgetown
San Diego – made themselves ineligible

Mercer

Drake

Morehead State

Jacksonville

Valparaiso

Stetson

Campbell

Davidson
Wofford

Citadel

Elon

W. Carolina

Central Ark.

Nichols State

NW State

Stephen F. Austin

Lamar

Going for Perfection (no losses of any type)

NDSU

Race to the Bottom (an 0-fer season)

Columbia

Austin Peay

Davidson

...and Georgia State (hahaha)

Conference Analysis

CAA – After 2 weeks of sub-par games, Maine finally woke up against URI – beating them 41-0 and clinching the CAA title. With a record of 10-1 (1-1 against I-A teams), Maine is now a favorite to get one of the top Seeds. How many CAA teams get At-Large bids is a big question right now. Towson looks safe – even if they somehow choke to JMU. Delaware had been looking strong, but have now lost 2 games in a row to be stuck at 7 wins. Their final game is against Villanova, who will not be a pushover. W&M is also stuck at 7 wins with a final game against Richmond coming up. For both Delaware and W&M, I think their playoffs start next week. With both of those teams, if they win, they will get an At-Large. If they lose, they'll be on the bubble. The only other team in the playoff conversation is UNH. UNH needs to beat Maine just to get on the bubble with 7 wins. If they are able to do it, they will be an interesting case to watch. They have no “bad” losses – in fact all three I-AA losses could be to playoff teams (Lehigh, Towson, W&M). The fact that they do not have a signature win would be solved by beating Maine. They would only have 7 wins, but they only played 11 games – they didn't schedule any cupcakes for their OOC slate. But let's see if they can handle a Maine team going for a high Seed. (A home game in rural Maine in December certainly will be a HUGE advantage.)

Big Sky – With their win over Cal Poly, EWU has now clinched the AQ. It is possible that NAU can tie EWU and since those 2 teams did not play each other, it would go to who beat the better teams. EWU beat Montana State while NAU lost to them – so that's the decider. At 8 wins (with another week to go), NAU and Montana will almost certainly get At-Large bids. Southern Utah is on the bubble with 7 wins. If they get to 8 wins, it will be by beating NAU – a good win which should secure an At-Large. Montana State is now in trouble. They must beat Montana next week just to reach 7 wins after losing the last two weeks. Even then, it would require five teams getting in from the Big Sky.

Big South – It's now down to two teams for the AQ – Coastal Carolina and Charleston Southern. Coastal is finished with their conference schedule, so it will come down to Chuck South's game with Liberty. If Chuck South wins, they get the AQ. If Chuck South loses, the AQ goes to Coastal. Coastal will get in the playoffs no matter what, but Chuck South losing this week hurts their chances. If they were to lose next week to Liberty, that would leave them with 8 real wins. Their win over Coastal will help them, but I could a situation where they get left out.

Independent – Monmouth is the only independent team that is playoff-eligible, so they're the only one I will talk about here. They'll be in the Big South next year (replacing VMI), but this year they can only get an At-Large. Monmouth is still alive with a win over Bryant, but I don't see them as a playoff team with their weak schedule.

MEAC – Bethune-Cookman and SC State both won to stay atop the MEAC. If B-C beats FAMU next week, they will take the AQ. If B-C loses, SC State gets the AQ with a win. If both teams lose, B-C will get the AQ. (Even if Delaware State is able to move into a 3-way tie, the winner would be B-C.) No matter what, B-C should be in the playoffs. If SC State wins, they will be a strong contender for an At-Large. If they were to lose (to Norfolk – who beat B-C last week), they likely will be out of the playoffs with only 7 wins.

MVC – ND State clinched the AQ with their win over Youngstown State. They should easily get the #1 Seed if they can get by South Dakota. Youngstown has now lost 2 games in a row. Next week, they will play SD State – another team with playoff hopes. The winner of that game should get an easy At-Large, while the loser will have to sweat out the Selection Show. Youngstown does not have any real good wins as of now, so even with 8 wins they are not a lock. SD State has a great win over SE Louisiana, but they'll want to get above 7 wins to feel safe. Northern Iowa is still alive with their over Missouri State. They will reach 7 wins (including a BCS win) with a win over Western Illinois.

NEC – Finally the NEC becomes clear. Sacred Heart, the only team that could reach 7 wins, clinched the AQ with their win over Robert Morris. They beat both RMU and Duquesne, so they own all tie-breaker scenarios. All other teams are now completely eliminated from the playoffs.

OVC – Eastern Illinois clinched the AQ with their win over Jacksonville State. EIU is just crushing their opponents and will be receiving a top Seed – amazing for a team from a conference who has still never won a playoff game. (I think that will change this year.) Second place goes to Tennessee State – who needed a comeback in the 4th quarter to beat Murray State this past weekend. If they had lost, I would have had them solidly on the bubble (with only 7 wins) – probably out. With this win, they are in with an At-Large. (Their regular season is done.) Three other teams are alive for At-Larges – Tennessee-Martin, Jacksonville State, and EKU. Looking at next week's games, it is very likely that they will finish in a 3-way tie for 3rd place in the conference. EKU is in the worst position of those three since they lost to both Tenn-Martin and Jacksonville State over the last 2 weeks. They need Jacksonville State to be upset by a bad SE Missouri in order for them to have any shot.

Patriot – Fordham goes down! Their star QB (who transferred from UConn) was injured last week and did not play this week and it killed them in their game with Lafayette. The QB could return next week, but if not, it looks like he'll be there for the playoffs – which Fordham will have no problem getting in. For the conference AQ, it appropriately comes down to Lehigh and Lafayette after Lehigh knocked out Colgate. The winner of “The Rivalry” game will get the AQ. Lehigh will be a bubble team with 8 wins if they lose the AQ, but it might be too much to get three Patriot teams in. Lafayette has a losing record, so they'll be completely out with a loss.

Pioneer – There was a big surprise this week when San Diego – one of the top teams in the conference – declared themselves ineligible from the playoffs for scholarship violations. (The Pioneer only allows general need-based scholarships, not athletic scholarships.) That, along with this week's results, has left the AQ to either Marist or Butler. Both of those teams are finished with the regular season and they did not play each other. It will come down to these two teams' rankings in both the GPI and the new SRS rankings. (Each teams' ranking will be the average between their rankings in the two systems.) None of this can be decided until next week's games are played, so both teams have to just wait. This will be crucial, because it is unlikely that the Pioneer will receive 2 bids with their weak schedules. It's very difficult to see who will get this – Marist has 8 wins but played two lower teams and 12 games overall; Butler only has 7 wins, but they only played 11 games with no lower division games. Dayton is also technically alive with 7 wins, but that would require three Pioneer teams getting in – so they're going to be left out.

SoCon – Ooof. Chatty had a chance to make things simple and clinch this week, but they lost to Samford in OT. Chatty is guaranteed at least a tie for the title and whether they get the AQ would be dependent on who they're tied with. Chatty is done with their SoCon schedule. If Samford and Furman both lose next week, Chatty gets the AQ outright. If only Samford wins, Samford gets the AQ. If only Furman wins, Chatty gets the AQ. If both win, we will have a 3-way tie. They are all 1-1 head-to-head so then it goes to their records against the next ranked team. At least 3 teams will be tied for 4th place with 4-4 records, and I honestly don't know how the SoCon will decide from there. Combined record against all 4th place teams? Do they factor in GSU and Appy? I just don't know and the SoCon website hasn't been any help (as of Sunday). This AQ question is important because I do not see all three teams getting in. There might be room for one At-Large here. (For some reason, last week I had it noted that Furman couldn't win the AQ. I'm not sure how I got to that conclusion, so I've taken that away.)

Southland – SE Louisiana took care of Sam Houston State to clinch the Southland AQ. With a record of 9-2 and a streak of 8 convincing wins, they will be getting a Seed. In 2nd place is McNeese State with 8 wins. They'll easily get an At-Large. Sam Houston is in bigger trouble. Not only did they lose the game with SE Louisiana to drop to a solid 3rd place in the Southland, but their starting QB was injured. It looks like the double-threat QB has a broken collarbone and which means he's likely done for the season. With two of their 8 wins being of a questionable variety, SHS must win next week's game against Central Arkansas just to reach 7 legitimate wins. And now they have to do it with an inexperienced QB. They will be on the bubble. (And don't let the Sports Network Poll fool you – there was no way SHS was the #4 team in the country going into this past week. They weren't even the top team in the Southland. The results of that poll is usually laughable.)

Predictions

This is based on what I think will happen over the next week and what the committee will do...I'll know I'll get some things wrong.....

Conference Titles (AQ)
CAA – Maine – clinched
Big Sky – EWU – clinched
Big South – Coastal Carolina
MEAC – Bethune-Cookman
MVC – ND State – clinched
NEC – Sacred Heart – clinched
OVC – E. Illinois – clinched
Patriot – Lehigh
Pioneer – Marist
SoCon – Chatty
Southland – SE Louisiana – clinched

This leaves 26 teams for 13 spots. After getting rid of the weakest teams (Pioneer, Monmouth, etc.), we are left with 23 teams:

Towson

Delaware

W&M

JMU

UNH

Northern Arizona

Montana

Montana State

Southern Utah

Charleston Southern

SC State

Youngstown State

SD State

No. Iowa

Jacksonville State

Tenn. State

Tenn.-Martin

EKU

Fordham

Samford

Furman

Sam Houston State

McNeese State

My final 13 of those (after looking at the final games):

Towson

Delaware, W&M, or UNH (2 out of the 3)

Northern Arizona

Montana

SC State

Youngstown State or SD State (the winner of their game)

No. Iowa

Tennessee State

Jacksonville State

Fordham

Samford

McNeese State

Last few out (in no particular order):

JMU – I think they will lose to Towson

Montana State – I think they will lose to Montana

SUU – I think they will lose to NAU

Charleston Southern – weak schedule

Tenn-Martin – Losing to EIU will drop them to #4 in the OVC

Furman – I am assuming they don't win the AQ and finish #3 in the SoCon

Sam Houston State – I think they will lose to Central Ark. and those “transitional” opponents will hurt

Total by conference:

CAA – 4

Big Sky – 3

Big South – 1

MEAC – 2

MVC – 3

NEC – 1

OVC – 3

Patriot – 2

Pioneer – 1

SoCon – 2

Southland – 2