2014-10-12

I have a workhorse HP PhotoSmart 3210 AIO printer that started spitting parts, worse yet, parts of parts. Gears and pieces of gears came out on the last page successfully printed. Since then, paper jams, and the printer reports no paper.

I pulled it out of the cabinet, and took it apart as best HP designs it to be taken apart. I could not find the source of the gears. I did find a serious ink spill inside the printer. I know there are people who repair these, but I also spotted a super sale on a new HP OfficeJet Pro 8625 AIO at Costco. The normal price had a $95 instant rebate. They also offered a $20 instant rebate when you purchase a combo pack of the XL sized color cartridges and an XL sized two pack of the Black ink. Still, the two packages of ink cartridges were almost the same price as the printer with the included "set up" ink cartridges.

This is a large unit, and it does not have the second Photo paper input tray, nor the six color ink cartridges, so I assume I will not get the same quality photo print. But, I don't print at home any more anyway. It's cheaper to load digital photos to the Costco web, and pick up pictures at the photo counter.

Anyway, the set up is all driven by on screen prompts. Take it out of the box, remove the packing, install the duplexor, plug it in, and follow along the prompts. In fact, there are no words on the "Set Up" insert that came in the box. Just those pitiful international symbols for remove packing, insert duplexer, plug in.

I shouldn't complain, but a couple words for those of us who still read, would have been welcome.

As it is, the drivers are almost 160meg of download, but in no time I had connected the USB for local print, the Ethernet cable for home LAN print, the phone line for FAX, and it somehow mysteriously found my WiFi, and configured itself for Air print. Kind of handy, at least for a test, to print from my iPhone direct.

I did a couple quick scans, a test fax (kind of hard to even find anyone still using FAX), print via USB, LAN. I appreciate the automatic duplex printing. I seemed to always get something up-side-down with the manual duplexing. It also has a document handler for copying and scanning, which I haven't even tried yet.

All, in All (as opposed to "All in One"), I'm pretty happy with it after a couple hours. I'll have a much better review in a year, after I've replaced/refilled the ink a few times.

I know, there are plenty of people who are not happy with HP for cost, quality, ... reasons. I've been printing with HP ink jets since an original DeskJet about 25 years ago. At the price of the printer, I could never cost justify paying someone to attempt to repair my old printer. My big regret, the ink cartridges of the 3210 are not used in any current printer.

Show more