2016-03-29

In Sochi, the most memorable moments were not always golden. nike air max 90 hyperfuse prezzo . Much has already been written about the Olympic champions in figure skating at these Games. Their achievements deservedly applauded, their celebrations ongoing, and their names will go down in history. While I too applaud their efforts and accomplishments, there were numerous performances other than the winning ones that also provided for me some noteworthy and unforgettable moments. Collectively, the Pairs Short Program, the Free Dance and the Ladies Free Skate had some of the best skating I have ever seen. Quality, competitiveness, variety and depth had us first riveted and then lifted us to our feet. We were left in awe of the events remarkable performances and the audience certainly got more than their moneys worth. Speaking of audience, the Russian audiences were always vociferous in their appreciation of their own and were often an intimidating presence for others in Sochi. In my mind, they were a game-changer more so in these Olympics than in any of the other Games that I have attended. It felt a little more like a hockey crowd and while they didnt cheer when one of their skaters competitors made a mistake, the excited chatter when an error occurred was noticeable and undeniable. It created a strange buzz throughout the skating events. The Russian skaters, for the most part, thrived on it and capitalized. Such was the case for the second-ranked Russian team of Ksenia Stolbova and Fedor Klimov who, for me, stole the show in the Pairs. This was the team that in the last season - despite being injured and missing two months of training - has totally reinvented themselves. In one season, they have added new lifts, perfected the triple-twist and revamped their skating style and technique dramatically. It was the improvement of their overall quality of skating that impressed me the most and gave them a new found power and command. The fact that the Olympics were at home and that they were training alongside the World Champions provided the perfect fuel for the improvements they made. One saw clearly that the Russians are back in form to dominate in the Pairs event once again if the rest of the field doesnt take notice and respond quickly. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir in the Ice Dance delivered the moment they had hoped for at centre ice in Sochi. Their Free Dance was undoubtedly their best of the season and was a skate that will be remembered for years to come as an "all-time great performance." What they have done for the sport of ice dance with their beautiful lines, connection to each other, versatile portrayals, and athleticism is they have clearly defined the sports identity. They bring the sense of dance to the forefront and stay true to it usually at a price, because the artistic risks they take add technical difficulty, which I believe has often gone unrewarded. The Free Dance event was spectacular in Sochi with all teams delivering dramatically and once again the wonderful careers of Meryl Davis and Charlie White and Tessa and Scott were revered and celebrated. Did the judges get it right? The debate will rage on and in the end there were no losers, only winners in what was a captivating dance event. The ladies were as hot in the Free Skate as the men were not. Coming in, the mens free skate had the potential to be the best mens event ever. Patrick Chan, with his world renowned edges and choreographic complexity combined with his mastery of the quad, set the bar for what was expected to win gold at the these Games. He had been the driving force in mens skating since Vancouver and it was the teenager from Japan, Yuzuru Hanyu, who had been able to move in and keep pace this season. They had been so impressive all year that it felt to me that they were exhausted from the expectation and belief that it would take "perfect" to win in Sochi. The men tried valiantly but left points on the table and in the end, it was Japan who had its first ever gold medal in mens Olympic skating. In hindsight, the wacky competitive schedule that the men had to endure will likely be revamped. It was the first time in at least 30 years that they had to compete on back-to-back days at the Games. That fact in itself can be challenging but on top of it, when the men finished the short program just before midnight, they had the draw and the mandatory press conference for the top finishers which took them into the early hours. They were left with about a seven hour turnaround at the village before they had to return for the morning practice. The guys werent complaining but their legs did late that night when they competed in the Free. After a stellar lead up season and awesome practices in Sochi, one could only "feel" for the guys that they didnt have "that moment" in the Free Skate at the Games. In all of the wonderful moments that made up the Ladies event, it was the performances of Japans Mao Asada and Carolina Kostner of Italy that touched and inspired me most. Both were personal victories for these skaters, who after the Vancouver Games came at the challenge of Sochi in very different ways but with the same intense personal conviction. Mao, second in Vancouver with her trademark triple axel, decided that her favorite jump - while worth more than any other - was not enough to make up for some of her other jumping deficiencies. So she committed herself to taking apart her technique and relearning and rebuilding her jumps from the ground up. It was a long, almost three-year process. I watched and admired her work ethic and her respect for her craft throughout the rebuild process in her determination to have no weaknesses. To watch her triumph in the Free Skate was a delight! Its so good for the sport and Im so happy for her. In 16th after the short, Mao was too far back to contend but for me her performance was the evenings big winner. Mao won our respect and hearts and so too did Kostner with her charming Bolero. Carolina, in her previous two Olympics, literally fell apart. In the Vancouver Games, her Free Skate was so desperate that she sobbed as she finished. Of that skate she said, "I felt ashamed and nobody should have to feel that way at an Olympics." So, this was about righting that wrong. Her goal this time was not about placements, even though she was a contender. It was, she said, about leaving the ice with a smile on her face. Her performance touched everyone, and especially those of us who have witnessed her turbulent past and watched her new found love for the sport. One couldnt help but admire her excellence and feel her sense of joy and gratitude. She left the Games this time with a smile and a medal, and for me it just doesnt get better than that! nike air max 90 hyperfuse shop . New Zealand brushed aside England 26-7 to win the event and reclaim top spot in the overall standings. The All Blacks, the defending World Series champions, won their third tournament this season in style, running four tries past England to claim their 11th Cup championship in Hong Kong and first since 2011. nike air force 1 low prezzo . Aside from the trilogy main event title fight, there are a number of intriguing matchups in the heavyweight, welterweight and lightweight divisions.TORONTO -- Major League Soccer has suspended Toronto FCs Brazilian midfielder Jackson one game and fined him for "aggressive inflammatory behaviour" in Saturdays 1-0 win over D.C. United. Jackson was yellow carded for an off-the-ball incident in the 50th minute at BMO Field. Jackson and D.C. United midfielder Davy Arnaud were mixing it up in advance of a Toronto FC free kick when the Brazilian elbowed Arnaud. Jackson will miss Torontos game Saturday at Real Salt Lake. MLS did not detail the fine but the Brazilian will continued to be paid during the ban. Toronto coach Ryan Nelsen said Wednesday he expected a suspension, although he had some sympathy for his player whom he said was goaded by Arnaud. nike roshe run saldi. . Still, Nelsen said Jackson should not have retaliated. The Brazilian said he did not think the incident warranted further discipline. The MLS disciplinary committee also suspended Portland Timbers goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts one game and fined him an undisclosed amount for "serious foul play" against Colorado Rapids forward Deshorn Brown. Ricketts went out to get a ball and hit Brown in the stomach with his boot. And Columbus Crew forward Federico Higuain was fined an undisclosed amount for simulation in the weekend game against the Philadelphia Union. Cheap China Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys From China China NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

Show more