* JOB SUMMARY *
As an integral part of the communications, brand, and sales and marketing disciplines, Public Relations is a strategic function, and encompasses the actions we take to influence our external guests, internal guests, owners, company and community-at-large. Publicity, promotion and civic involvement are all means to accomplish the goal of enhanced brand and business perception when aligned with marketing objectives.
All communications activities and budget must be integrated into the region’s overall marketing plan and must parallel the primary revenue objectives of the hotels/resorts/brand. The communication of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, LLC philosophy and gold standards are paramount in all activities to showcase the strength of the brand and enhance mystique. This role serves as the “keeper of the mystique” in the Americas region.
To guarantee success in this function, the ideal candidate must have a solid understanding of the travel or luxury goods industry; strong communications skills plus well-established relationships with the media across Europe; excellent written and spoken abilities in English and outstanding planning skills; crisis communications experience and the ability to successfully multi-task duties while prioritizing senior company leaders, regional leaders, property personalities, market challenges and management issues at numerous properties simultaneously. The Regional Director, Public Relations must be able to leverage successes to positively influence clients, owners and employees.
The Regional Director is also responsible for the quality of execution on all property social media activity in Europe. They enforce all standard operating procedures for individual units who engage in this space.
In order for this position to function effectively, the Regional Director needs to be an integral part of mentoring and developing all PR practitioners in their region as all PR leaders in this individual’s region have a dotted line of reporting to the Regional Director, Public Relations.
/ Core Business Goals /
- Develops A-List media/blogger/influencer coverage, including high-quality feature publicity in print, broadcast and online.
- Leads the PR strategy and manages all related activities and initiatives, including development of annual PR strategic plans for Europe, including campaigns, messaging, positioning and content that appropriately promotes The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company.
- Provides leadership to regional brand marketing teams to create greater target consumer consideration that leads to bookings and revenue and add value to owner/franchisee relations and all appropriate stakeholders. Also, provides ongoing PR counsel to regional teams and properties. Works closely with field to leverage scope of local promotions and specific marketing/brand campaigns; establish annual strategic calendar of special events, inclusive of grand openings, experiential events, media tours / open houses, etc. Creates and develops PR messaging and executes earned media plans and strategies, major market events, and communications training – including the development, editing and approval of brand press materials and PR presentations.
- Serves as a key communications liaison with the company’s Global Internal Communications team to ensure pull through of enterprise-wide communications and messaging in key channels (e.g., MGS, Weekly Update, and Headline News), speeches and other venues. This position will also be responsible for leading the communication efforts related to any brand crisis issue working in concert with Corporate Relations.
- Maximizes brand Public Relations and publicity opportunities stemming from the company’s strong Corporate Social Responsibility activities and involvements (Community Footprints).
- Holds responsibility for training in the market for PR instruction, media training and brand immersions for executives, General Managers, Operations, Sales and Marketing.
- Provides timely and accurate public relations agency network support and follow-through for international properties.
- Represents The Ritz-Carlton at selected industry and company trade shows, and use these venues to promote the company’s key messages.
- Manages market pull-through on company initiatives, news and brand messaging.
- Develops operating plans and workable business processes that align with function strategy.
- Manages larger business processes and/or projects, setting priorities and measurable objectives, monitoring and reporting on the process, progress and results.
- Execute on an annual PR plan for the brand that drives the brand’s business goals and objectives.
- Support hotel business objectives in the region in alignment with the GSOs and the RVPSM for Europe.
- Drive top-tier media messaging to support global brand awareness across the Europe.
- Drive media messaging to support outbound European travelers to international Ritz-Carlton destinations.
- Support hotels within Europe to acquire media exposure from inbound source markets.
- Serve as spokesperson for The Ritz-Carlton across Europe.
- Ensure all hotel publicity is in keeping with The Ritz-Carlton brand image and reflect the highest level of professionalism in content and presentation.
- Approval of property press releases for the corporate press room.
- Assist in selection and recruitment of any new PR positions (Manager and above) within the region, onboard/train
- Lead PR agency selection for hotels where applicable
- Conduct a quarterly call for all regional PRDs
- Coordinate itineraries for international media fams
- New hotel announcement releases: writing and international distribution.
- Craft press releases for global distribution that supports the business objectives of the hotels in Europe.
/ Leadership /
/ …applies broad business knowledge and balances both a short- and long-term perspective to generate strategies while leading the organization to achieve them. /
- Serve as a spokesperson for the media in region. Provide timely and accurate responses when queried. Stay abreast of news; launch proactive communications plan internally and externally.
- Maintain professional relationships with media and gain cooperation and respect to earn a reputation as a source of reliable, newsworthy information.
- Provide monthly luxury media trend reports/updates.
- Ensure brand standards are followed.
- Leverage the strength of the brand and past successes to produce opportunities for the brand and all properties in region and beyond.
- Lead with the goal to produce brand results in all projects and undertakings.
- Aggressively pursue opportunities in community and region that enhance the image and position of the brand, property(ies) and company through civic, exclusive charity, special event and high-profile celebrations.
- Elevate the brand through special events, promotions, company-wide promotions to strengthen recognition and understanding of properties in marketplace.
- Make decisions, including corporate and regional teams and commit to a course of action with available information.
- Address conflict in a timely manner.
- Responsible for directing and assisting the General Manager(s) in Europe with all Crisis Communications as it pertains to the media and external/internal guest during any hotel emergency or safety situation.
- Act as an advisory to management by tracking public attitudes and making General Manager(s) in the Americas aware of the possible consequences of prospective decisions.
/ Building Relationships /
/ …eliminates insular thinking by fostering a positive climate for work relationships and teams committed to achieving organizational goals and initiatives. /
- Develop top-tier luxury media relationships across print, broadcast and online.
- Establish a collaborative relationship with brand, marketing and l field leaders.
- Develop strong working relationships with vendors to ensure quality, cost effectiveness, and creative executions.
- Utilize network of travel industry and business contacts to identify and further enhance marketing opportunities for properties and company-overall (i.e. airline promotions/press trips, association meetings/media visits, entertainment industry/press junkets, location shooting, special events, endorsements).
- Recognize and celebrate team successes.
- Balance the interest of one’s own group with the interests of the organization.
- Interact with luxury partners and clients to secure specific opportunities and acts as day-to-day account manager to implement.
- Facilitate a beneficial resolution of team conflict.
- Use team member diversity to its fullest extent to achieve business success.
- Encourage others to share their points of view even if different from his/her own.
- Share relevant information to help others understand and support business objectives.
- Use technology effectively to communicate and influence throughout the organization.
- Demonstrate business ethics and personal integrity, i.e., is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual.
- Communicate frequently on an internal level with the corporate office, GSOs and other Regional Public Relations Directors on a regular basis keep them abreast of news and mutually-beneficial opportunities.
/Managing Work Execution/
/ …proactively ensures that others have the accountability, authority and resources necessary to both manage work execution and drive for results. /
- Participate in and lead property PR teams in setting goals.
- Communicate the progress of projects and initiatives openly and actively to corporate offices and all hotels; ensure they are kept abreast of day to day duties and long-term goals for all properties.
- Seek out others for information, support, guidance and assistance.
- Establish and build agreement among team/department members for resource requirements, timeliness and measures of success.
- Develop and uses systems to organize and keep track of information.
- Maximize publicity opportunities for all properties through careful research and media requirements. Be sensitive to all aspects of the hospitality industry, which could be translated into publicity.
- Maintain contact with the corporate office; file monthly reports. Inform team of planned events and developments that could be of national and international Public Relations value.
- Take responsibility for producing and distributing media releases and advisories.
- Ensure media kits and other Public Relations related material originating from the hotels is appropriate, error-free and complements the brand, thereby enhancing Mystique.
- Manage an effective media data base.
/ …proactively identifies and develops talent within the organization. /
- Support The Ritz-Carlton interviewing tools to ensure hiring decisions are based on the candidate’s job-related talent, skills and competencies.
- Hire the best people available from inside and outside The Ritz-Carlton.
- Hire for talent, diversity and balance of skills.
- Give timely and specific performance feedback to employees; hold bi-annual reviews.
- Discuss problems immediately with others before they are forgotten or get out of control.
/ …actively pursues learning and self-development to enhance personal, professional and business growth; shares learning; demonstrates depth of knowledge in technical or specialized area /
- Act independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge.
- Support the hotel’s business objectives by designing and executing relevant press trips.
- Evaluate the success of Public Relations efforts on a regular basis using the guidelines that were agreed-upon from the start.
- Demonstrate an awareness of personal strengths and areas for professional improvement.
- Share learnings, innovations, and best practices with others.
- Use current best methodologies to manage smaller scale projects.
- Ten years minimum in public relations and/or communications roles.
- Solid strategic planning and budget setting abilities.
- Travel, hospitality or luxury goods background in public relations.
- Extensive crisis communications skills.
- Solid understanding of the print, digital and broadcast media arenas.
- Proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, Social Media and Word computer programs.
- On-property director experience/corporate travel industry experience preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Able to successfully manage and mentor staff.
- Perform all technical/procedural requirements of the job.
- Results-driven accountability for all Public Relations efforts, which are tracked and evaluated.
- Excellent media, community and business contacts locally, regionally and internationally.
- Sound understanding of communications business.
- Outstanding personal and business references. Represents the company in a positive and professional light, able to interact well with media, guests, management, suppliers and staff.
- Well organized and capable of working quickly and handling many projects and job functions at once.
- Knowledge of production methods in graphic arts, printing, film, radio and television.
- Ability to create newsworthy events and understands the Public Relations potential in hotel happenings.
- Discreet and can be trusted with confidential information and handle difficult media inquiries with finesse.
- Impressive portfolio of writing samples, projects, campaigns, etc.
- Able to communicate well with all levels of management, staff, business community, press, VIP’s, royalty, etc.
Education or Certification
- Excellent English writing skills and oral proficiency.
- Formal training in Public Relations, a university degree or equivalent experience in public relations, communications, journalism and/or marketing.
- Solid understanding of the hotel business and/or travel industry.
**Job:** **Public Relations and Communications*
**Title:** *Regional Director of Public Relations, Europe*
**Location:** *GBR-Greater London-London*
**Requisition ID:** *150014AA*