2016-01-14

Just to brief any new readers. My name’s Hitesh and I consider myself a long time professional wrestling fan. I am going to do my own personal build to WrestleMania, which I’m going to share with all of you. Before this though I’m doing a prequel to my WrestleMania build. Before I was billing this as a Rumble build but since it has been pointed out by my readers, there is no link, I do not want to lead people into reading under false pretences. This is just a nice small build to what is to come.

Basically I’ve taken 5 of my favourite 15 favourite American/Canadian professional wrestlers at random and run through their careers to explain why I adore them so much. Then look at a small portion of their matches. So far we’ve looked at Randy Savage, now lets look at in my opinion the best in ring performer and my second favourite wrestler of all time, “The Heart Break Kid” Shawn Michaels. I was originally doing 9, however I found it was taking up alot of time, for now and between the time I start my WrestleMania build up, so I've cut it down to 5. The four guys I've cut are Edge, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle and Daniel Bryan. Here's my favourite 30 professional wrestlers post 1985 and where everyone done so far ranks. Before getting into HBK, lets talk about current happenings. I sit here on Thursday 14th January 2016, I’m going to fully catch up with the Raw highlights soon. But I will give my opinion as they stand at the moment.

1. Yet To Come

2. Shawn Michaels

3. Yet To Come

4. Ric Flair

5. Randy Savage

6. Edge

7. Sting

8. Rey Mysterio

9. Trish Stratus

10. Daniel Bryan

11. Mickie James

12. Shelton Benjamin

13. Rikishi

14. Chris Jericho

15. Kurt Angle

16. Ricky Steamboat

17. Umaga

18. Torrie Wilson

19. Dolph Ziggler

20. Mick Foley

21. Bray Wyatt

22. Jake Roberts

23. Cody Rhodes

24. Alberto Del Rio

25. Kane

26. Dean Ambrose

27. Paul London

28. Kelly Kelly

29. CM Punk

30. Tajiri

After my favourite 30, my order would go in terms of the respect I have for them, or if I like them to a certain extent.

First of all, for anyone who says ratings and ppv buys are an indication of the success of the product that is wrong. In my opinion WWE has pretty much been in the same place since 2005, not in a boom era, but still in damn big and successful period. The ratings and ppv buys show this for the 2005-2009 section. The decline is not in viewership, or becoming a weak product. Arguably in the last 5 years WWE has had it’s most overall interest since the attitude era. Big celebrity’s embrace, accept and talk about the WWE, there was a recent twitter feud between Melissa Joan Hart and Kevin Owens, that is one of the people I would never have seen as a wrestling fan. The Rock has not only returned, but nearly every week has something wrestling related to talk about.

It is TV in general, as a platform that has declined, because of the Internet’s growth. There are so many ways to stream something now or to catch, people don’t go out and buy they download or stream for free. That is the story ratings and ppv buys toldpre 2014. The same amount of people were watching, just for free and when they want on the Internet, with the exception of big events and when major outside attractions were wrestling. This era is as good as any, and is damn strong. In 2014 WWE showed they can change with the times, like how a netflix company offers a whole package of films and programs at a cheap rate. That will develop further and further in the future. WWE offer their history and superstar content along with specials, big events and Raw & SD for a cheap rate. They get over 1.3 million suscribers per month. With a few free months that is around $117,000,000 from the wwe network alone. That is a huge success, when you consider that the network is getting more buys per month then the highest ever bought WrestleMania. We are in a new era of wrestling, we’ve had the modern TV era (1983-2014) and now we are in the network era (2014-Present. So all this talk about whether Vince McMahon generates high ratings, or even if Austin or Rock come back there’s till not much difference on the ratings is really neither here nor there to me.

Storylines are certainly strong at the moment, it wavers all the time every year, but it probably has done since WrestleMania XSEVEN. I think, they need to reconsider the presentation of Raw, maybe just work to hyping matches at specials in sports like fashion. But, what I will say I’m actually thoroughly excited that Orton and Cena are going to miss this years WrestleMania for the first time since WrestleMania XIX, it gives some much needed air from them. With massive legends like Triple H, The Undertaker and possibly The Rock wrestling at this years WrestleMania, and the established strong new talents in Roman Reigns, Bray Wyatt, Kevin Owens, Dean Ambrose on the New Day available, and the massive presence of Brock Lesnar it is going to be a very exciting WrestleMania and the possibilities are endless. I think every time in my columns before the actual WrestleMania card is apparent I’m going to offer some different possible cards.

Firstly only The Rock, his opponent, HHH, Steph, & Vince will know if he is wrestling because they will keep it that low key. For this possible card, we will assume he is. I would continue the focus on the Reigns vs Authority storyline. At the Royal Rumble I’d have Reigns entered as no.1 with a league of nations member Del Rio. Have them work up to no.8 where Wyatt comes out ADR is eliminated. Then all Wyatts come and they dominate the rumble, upto say no. 20 where Lesnar comes out and eliminates the other three Wyatts, HHH comes out and other Leagueof Nation members but Reigns is surviving. Ziggler also has a stand out performance only to be elimnated by LON. Lesnar and Wyatt eliminate each other (I’d have had Owens and Ambrose in an IC Title match). Reigns is just about surviving the Authority, eliminating Rusev, & Barrett. It’s then Sheamus and HHH and the odds look stacked. But then no.30 comes out and it’s The Rock. He runs down to help Reigns, and Rock fights Sheamus, while Reigns fights HHH. Rock eliminates Sheamus, it looks like it’s going to be a family celebration but then HHH and Rock start smiling. They turn on Reigns and start beating the pulp out of them, Reigns tries to fight back, but they throw him out. HHH & Rock start shaking hand and HHH leaves the ring, eliminating himself & The Rock wins his 11th World title. The crowd would most likely have a backlash to Rock winning, but The McMahons, LON & Rock are enjoying it and celebrate.

Over the WM season. Rock incooperates his two most famous heel characters into a current version. The perfect cooperate champion, and the hollywood sell out, because how much more of a bigger hollywood star (one of the biggest) is Rock today, and how much more does that make him the Authoruty’s perfect champion then it did in the late 90s. He can inncooperate all the aspects his detractors critique, he can refer to himself as Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, act like he’s too big and above WWE and the superstars, be hanging out, protected and kissed upto by the Authority, only appear live like once or twice a month, and make loads of sattelite appearances because he has no time. If he’s got time defend the title successfully an d cheat at fastlane against the white hot Ambrose, if not all the better, Fastlane is not worthy for him to appear (say in his promos). Highlight the family connection with Reigns, who’s defending the Anaoi legacy and pride, and overcoming the authority. Have him have to overcome The LON and Triple H on his way back to the title, beating HHH at fastlane. Then build a personal story and at wrestlemania have Reigns win the title from him clean in a no dq match. Then Rock will have given back to the business in spades, though he already as given alot

Mean while, since they want extra power at WrestleMania maybe call in Goldberg who seems to be itching to wrestle. Have him be disgusted with HHH and the Authority and target them, then at wm Goldberg assembles a team, that consist of big upper midcarders who need a spot against Triple H and the LON. Then at a lesser special, you can base it around Goldberg’s last match and he can put over one of the new guys one on one.

I think, they should follow up on Night Of Champions, Owens and Ambrose can trade the IC title on Raws, RR & SDs, but then Jericho goes for Ambrose saying he wants one last title run, at WM Ambrose beats Jericho to retain. Owens can seek out The Undertaker like CM Punk did a few years ago, maybe Taker comes back and Owens viciously keeps attacking him week in and week out and it leads to a WM match. Then Wyatt should be booked dominantly, with Lesnar standing up to them. Maybe trades on who dominates whom week in and out. Then at WM with no interferance, Wyatt dominates Lesnar in a more critically available version of Brock/Cena from SummerSlam’14 and wins. This can be the medium, to cattapult Bray Wyatt to eventually being the second or co. Top Face in the company. Being Reign’s alternative. The New Days, amazing, there what pro wrestling is all about, they should build to a new day/usos match at wm, for definate. Then carry on Chatllottes heel run, and have Bayley stand up to her. So, this is my first possible WrestleMania 32 card.

WrestleMania 32,

4th April 2016

AT & T Stadium, Arlington, Texas. Aimed Crowd: Over 100,000, Reporter: Michael Cole, Commentry: Mauro Ranello & J.B.L, Ropes: White, Theme Song: Read All About It (Emeli Sande)

1. Intercontinental Championship: Dean Ambrose (c) beat Chris Jericho to retain (10-15mins)

2. SGR: Stone Cold Steve Austin: Team Goldberg: Goldberg, Ryback, Neville, Dolph Ziggler & Jack Swagger beat Triple H & The League Of Nations (Sheamus, Rusev, Barrett & Del Rio) (10-15mins)

3. “Homecoming Special”: The Undertaker beat Kevin Owens (10-20mins)

4. WWE Team Championships: The New Day (c) beat The Uso’s to retain (10-15mins)

5. “Beast vs Monster”: No Interference: No Holds Barred: Bray Wyatt beat Brock Lesnar w/Heyman (20-25mins)

6. Divas Title: Bayley beat Charlotte (c) w/Ric Flair to won (10-15mins)

7. “Battle Of The Uso’s”: WWE World Heavyweight Championship vs “You’re Fired”: Street Fight: Roman Reigns beat Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (c) w/The Authority to retain (15-30mins)

“The Heart Break Kid” Shawn Michaels

I’m actually going to try to spice this section up a little. I am going to quickly run down and give my views of Shawn Michaels career, but I’m going to do it as if a known fan of Michaels who is a professional wrestler is giving it. I’m then going to counter it with, the views of the general detractors of Michaels and air it through a person who has had a grudge with him, or used to. The positive part with be done in red and the negative in blue.

“Welcome to, LOP Forum’s is Jericho! Talking about this brings tears to my eyes, because with out The Showstoppper there would be no Chris Jericho. I remember as a kid sitting at home watching The Rockers. The tag team Shawn started in, in the AWA and then the WWF.

They were the first great, high flying tag team in the industry. The ariel moves they were known for, were full of energy and athleticism. I had never, evvvverr, seen anything like them, they revolutionised wrestling with those moves, stole every and any show. Tag Team wrestling was Rockerrss! They were also influences on exciting teams like The Hardy Boys and Kendick and London. They were the best everr underdog, energetic babyface team.”

Chris Jericho

“Finally, The Rock has come back to LOP Forums! Well, well, well, The Rock knew you would have your head stuck straight up Shawn Michael’s A**, because you too are an A** Hole.

Chris Jericho. The Rock agrees with you on somethings. The Rockers are entertaining, they electrified the people night in and night out, the moves quite frankly are way ahead of their time and Shawn Michael’s, quite possibly the best ever. But, that is where the praise finishes. Because, Chris Jericho The Rock was born in the business and grew up in this business, what you fail to realise is it’s all about respect.

Let me tell you something about Shawn Michaels. When The Rock was a lil Rock. Still up at 4am every day clangin and bangin and clangin bangin, with his dad, hall of famer...Soul Man Rocky Johnson, or hot rod Roddy Piper, or sitting on the shoulder of the great Andre The Giant. Shawn Michaels and his lil pussy cat sidekick were around, running and running their mouths, every great wanted to rip their throats out.

The Rock, will never ever forget, those two jabroni’s working for The Rock’s Grandmother’s company. They walk in to her company and Shawn Michaels had the gall to disrespect The Rock’s Grandmother. Shawn Michaels is lucky The Rock doesn’t just come and whip your monkey a**. That is just one scenario of the disrespect, they showed in their youth. They also looked like a pair of ugly teenage girls, you think they could realistically, be champions?....If Ya Smellllllllll, look at the tounge, look at tounge, el elel, What the Rock!!..., (people’s eyebrow) Is Cooking.”

The Rock

“No! No! No! No! No! You could not be more wrong. Who are you of all people Rocky, criticising Shawn Michaels, you hollywood glamour model. Shawn Michaels was so good in the ring, he gave him the opportunity to be solo. Just like me not only did Shawn take Mcmahon’s brass ring he yanked it down.

Shawn Michaels became an upper midcarder in the 1990s, and I would like to compare him in the early ‘90’s to my good friend Dolph Ziggler in the early ‘10s.

Shawn grew into a great character as he got the chance, as a cocky show off, I must admit I hate show offs, but Shawn was so good no one could hate him. In his feuds for the Intercontinental Championship he was already great here but it was in this time period where he developed into a great storyteller. He upped his game on the microphone and gave legendary performances against guys like Mr Perfect and Scott Hall.. He was becoming one of the most entertaining professional wrestlers ever, just like me in 2012 & 2013. It earned him a boost into the main event over the massive Diesel, just like me over guys like Sheamus and Alberto Del Rio.

He finally basically became a main eventer in 1995. He played the role Edge was in 2005, by constantly being on the cusp of being WWE Champion. Quite frankly it made the fans desire it more and more, like my own big title wins. He had the opportunity that year to elevate himself into a fantastic story teller before becoming “The Man”.

In another parallel with a good friend of mine. Shawn Michael’s January 1996-Spring 1998 run was similar to CM Punk’s Summer 2011-Summer 2013 run. Quite frankly it was magical and changed the industry to where for HBK it was pioneering smaller guys as main eventers and for Punk pioneering indie guys as main eventers. It was magical. Like CM Punk he was the second top guy in the company. He was also the early predecessor to the attitude era, he was full of it as both a heel and a baby face. His 1996, was also probably the best in ring year, anyone’s ever had, Shawn Michaels is the best in ring performer ever! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!”

Daniel Bryan

“Oh my Daniel that was very disappointing considering you were my favourite current wrestler, I thought you had my eye. I agree with my good friend

Dwayne, we know the truth. Shawn became even worse as a maineventer. I’ll never forget when I did the job for him and he told me to get the F out while he was celebrating. Such a Diva, I knew in my heart it was the wrong thing to do. He was a terrible locker room leader, I’m not saying Shawn was not talented I mean nothing compared to me 10/10 he was a 7/10, but the worst thing is you had a locker room full of talented guys and Shawn was insistent on getting his none talented friends pushed.

I mean fine Hall was quite good, 5.1/10, but I mean 123 Kid 3/10 (overrated spot guy), Triple H 4/10 (the most overrated wrestler and evilest man to have ever lived) and Kevin Nash 1/10. It’s just disgusting, I mean they tried to get me into an intercontinental title run, to sabotage me. Shawn was a mess, I mean the man had no integritory, who would go through with screwing me. He’s a terrible human being and a mess, that’s why he had to retire in 1998 and thank the Lord he did. I am the Best There Was, Best There Is, And Best There ever Will Be!.”

Bret “The Hitman” Hart

“Ladies and Gentlemen, it is now time for the Paul Heyman section of this LOP Forum. There is going to be a Paul Heyman section to every column, that is the best part of each guys career. Why? Because I am the greatest manager in history. Why? Because I am the manager of the beast incarnate Barocckk Lesnaaar. The Man who I managed to at 25, go up against a man who was “the man” in WWE, the star, the face and destroy him an break him forever...Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. The Man who left Hulk Hogan a bloody dead mess. Baraaack Lesnarrrr killed Hulkamania. Did the same to John Cena man for a decade. Beat The Undertaker, destroyed The Undertaker 4 times on PPV. He is the one in TAWENNNTY... oh wait I’m being told to stick to the topic, wait until my client hears about this.

There is no doubt about it, the best part of Shawn Michael’s career was from 2002-2010. Shawn Michaels over came, his personal demons, which shows strength and will which I commend him for He transformed himself, to become a good father, a well balanced person and a spiritual one. Shawn Michaels put that spiritual, inspirational aspect of his life onto his onscreen character. In doing so Shawn Michaels created one of the most emotional and purest baby face runs there have ever been.

But do you want to know what’s even more amazing? Shawn Michaels was even better in the ring than before. This is after a back injury, did you hear men after a back injury. This is a man from his late 30s to Early 40s, the time your meant to start slowing down. Michaels on the part time basis, still used the high risk athletic moves but had to dial it down due to age.

In turn though he excelled even more in storytelling and in turn Shawn Michaels became the best storyteller the professional wrestling industry has ever seen and ever will see. He’s also one of the best sellers ever, his selling increases matches 10 fold, it always has. Shawn Michaels is just hands down the best in ring performer the industry has ever seen, the absolute best there will ever be. No one comes close to Shawn Michaels, not The Hitman, not Kurt Angle, not Daniel Bryan and not Ric Flair.

Due to Michaels being that good in the ring, people also forget he’s also one of the most versitile characters in the history of professional wrestling. Playing many different heel and many different face versions of himself. He’s also an underrated talker. Shawn is one of the elite talkers. Excelling at being full of attitude, comedy and being one of the most emotional talkers period. The only department Shawn has ever fallen in, is drawing, but he was still a good main event draw. As for WrestleMania with out Shawn Michaels, it would not be known as the most special event of all time. Now wait and see what the beast imcarnate, what do you mean your cutting me offf no wait!”

Paul Heyman

Hulk Hogan was on his way to criticize this part of the show stoppers career, but I think it’s so special I’m not even going to let Hulkamania run wild on it. Lets get into the matches.

1. Rage In A Cage 1996: Winner Goes On To Get WWF Title Shot: Shawn Michaels vs Owen Hart

I’ve already covered this section of Michael’s career, he was white hot and had won the Royal Rumble, I don’t really know the ins and outs of this storyline but he put his no.1 contendership up against Owen Hart. Owen was fantastic as a heel, an aeriel wrestler, story teller and a technical wrestler. Lets get into the match.

Owen’s with Cornette and his Camp. The bell rings and they play a few mind games with each other, After some good storytelling and show boating They do some nice aeriel sequences and reverses, Owen is eventually on the outside and Michaels gets a beautiful dive on him. They do some technical wrestling as Michaels is targeting the head, after Owen gets out of a head lock they do some nice athletic sequences with Owen catching Shawn with a belly to belly and starts really attacking his ribs and back, and Shawn Michaels sells to a T.

After being unable to lock the sharpshooter in Owen get a camel clutch, which Michaels again sells fabulously and the crowd is really willing Michaels on. He gets out of it, hits the ropes but Owen gets a roll up for two, good sequence there. Owen now back to a headlock and Michaels sells like he’s really suffocating. He escapes with the people’s will again, Owen get’s a great kick in as Michaels again sells amazingly, making Owen look awesome. They do some more sequences with Owen constantly dominating, as Owen hits a top rope drop kick for two.

Owen now gets some big uppercuts, Michaels reverses into a roll up for two, Owen now gets a huge clothesline on HBK who looks like he’s dead. Owen locks the Sharpshooter in and Michaels is really struggling in it. Michaels is pulled to the middle and looks to be in deep peril, he eventually reaches the ropes. Michaels sells the legs, gets another roll up for two, Owens the sends Michaels to the floor who is being counted out. Owen then gets Michaels back in for a pin attempt and a two. Owen is mortified. There’s then another great sequence as Michaels finds an opening and gets some ariel offence in.After some good back and forth, Michaels gets a cross body as the crowd is wild. He goes to the top rope, hits the elbow. Owens reverses Sweet Chin Music, but is eventually caught by the move, for 1...2...3. Great Match. This was a great technical match, fast paced and told with strong psychology and storytelling.

Time: 16mins Winner: Shawn Michaels Rating: ***3/4

2. WrestleMania XII: WWF Championship: 60 minute Iron Man: Shawn Michaels vs Bret ‘Hitman’ Hart:

Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart is probably the most real life feud ever told. You could not get two betters stars in the history of the pro-wrestling industry. Nor could get two more different guys in real life. One’s extremely reserved and live life by honour, the other as controversial as one could be. The Montreal Screw Job is perhaps the most infamous moment in the business. It destroyed Bret Hart emotionally for years and also made Michaels perhaps the most hated man in the pro-wrestling industry for a time too.

Yet perhaps the most beloved match of all time in the 60 minute Iron Man match. The match that Bret Hart cites was the beginning of the animosity. I personally feel it’s the real life feud, that influenced Vince to build up Rock vs Cena as a real life personal grudge match. It is that aspect along with the star power of the feud , that made it the biggest match of all time. There may have been a small amount of heat between them, but it was mostly Vince McMahon’s genius. Cena had wanted the match desperately ever since Rock bought Cena’s brother a ticket to see him at his first Dark match in 2000. In fact the Michaels/Hart feud is perhaps an early predecessor to the entire reality era.

Before we get into the match, I watched the in ring burying of the hatchet between the two in 2010, which was breathtaking. Shawn is golden on the mic, probably as good as Cena and Bret can be good when he wants to be. It’s awesome the way Michaels says it was Bret’s fault, I don’t agree but Bret should have just dropped the belt in Canada. Anyway this is one of my favourite moments in pro-wrestling history, when they finally burry the hatchet. Lets jump into the match.

After the grand entrances and Hebner explaining the rules, the bell rings. They hook up, Michaels pushes Hart to the ropes, Michaels reverses it and gets out of it, they lock up again, Shawn gets a takedown, reverses and they get out of it. They lock up for a third time, Michael’s wins this technical round again. A fourth lock up, and again Michael’s wins. It’s a good story of Michaels out doing Hart at his own game. Another Technical lock up now, that goes back and forth, eventually Hart gets a headlock which Michael’s tries to reverse, but Hart keeps it locked, he goes for a pin and there’s a kick out. This keeps on happening until eventually Michael’s does get out of it. The try to take each other down a few times, until Hart gets the headlock in again, as they have a similar sequence to before. It goes on for quite a while, with the crowd willing Michaels on, but Hart keeping it locked as it takes affect on Michaels.

Michaels eventually gets out of it, and hits some nice arm drags into an armlock. Now it’s Michaels turn to keep grabbing and applying pressure to Hart’s arm, while Hart tries to get out of it. Eventually Hart does, and after a nice athletic sequence Hart is sent out of the ring. Hebner starts counting Hart out. When Michaels is back in they tell a similar sequence, with HBK getting and applying pressure to Hart’s arm, while Bret is targeting HBK’s head and going for the headlock, and nearly catches HBK into the Sharp shooter a few times, there’s some nice athleticism involved too, it ends with Hart sending Michael’s out this time.

On the outside Hart whips Michael’s into the barricade (ouch), Michaels is in pain (selling tremendously), Hart sends him back into the ring, There’s now another sequence of Bret and Michaels getting the head lock and arm lock on each other, applying pressure as the other one sells, eventually Hart is bashed into the ring post (rib first) twice, (Ouch!). Michaels capatalises on the ribs, as Hart sells well, then it goes back to Michaels grabbing the armlock, and applying pressure as Bret continually fights out of it. Eventually the pace quickens, as Hart sling shots Michael’s into the post who sells to a T, there’s then a nice sequence of reverses as HBK gets a dive, eventually Hart is in control and hits a bulldog.

The story is strong as Hart tries to emulates Michael’s high risk style by going to the top rope, but HBK reverses there’s done a nice few sequences of high impact back and forth between the two with high athleticism, somewhere along the lines a referee is knocked out, eventually HBK hits a dive onto Hart on the outside. There’s then another sequence of back and forth high impact moves and athleticism, a few close role ups involved too, Michaels going for a sleeper as Bret nearly fades but stays in it. Eventually Michaels is sent out of the ring in a good spot, as a high risk move backfires. Bret, breaks up a count and scoop slams Michaels into the barricade on the outside for a Wicked spot, that Michaels sells to a T. In the ring Michael’s kicks out, but basically looks destroyed now.

Now Bret is viciously attacking HBK’s back, who’s selling like he’s being destroyed, there’s some high impact moves on the back. Hart hits a german suplex on HBK from the top rope for two, then applies a strong Camel Clutch, this is just superb technical wrestling and pshychology. This sequence continues with Hart viciously attacking the back, as Michael’s barely stays in it, getting a few roll ups here and there. This continues for a long while, with some more very high impact moves on the back. Eventually HBK is on the outside, and Hart hits a great dive. HBK is being counted out, but is eventually back in the ring. Back to some tough offence on HBK’s back, 11 minutes to go.

Bret gets a strong chin lock in as HBK struggles in that for a while. HBK looks dead and the story is with little time left, Bret getting a point with this lock and winning the match. HBK somehow wills himself out, they hit the ropes and knock each other out, as Early starts counting them out. Both men are up, and there’s a nice sequence as Hart is trying to lock the sharpshooter in, HBK blocks as Bret gets the boston crab in instead, HBK almost taps but gets to the ropes. Bret goes to the top rope, but Michaels reverses it and there both down again.

Michaels now, gets some high risk fast paced moves in continually for a very exciting sequence but Bret keeps kicking out, Michaels goes for another top rope moves but Bret reverses it and catches him into the sharpshooter, Bret destroys the legs as HBK is in agony, the crowd are wild, but the clock runs out. Bret then tries to leave, but Piper takes it into sudden death. Hart sells, being p***d at this so well, he goes straight back to the legs destroying them, as HBK looks completely dead with no chance in hell, but Michaels catches him with Sweet Chin Music, he can’t capatalise, he hits it again for 1...2...3!

Technically speaking this match is a 5 star masterpiece. However for a 1 hr Iron Man match it was maybe the most foolish booking to now employ the gimmick of the match, which is there to keep the hour lively. Guys get falls and points, and then the other guy will be chasing, and then it can go the other way around. It adds, story, drama and quickens the pace up, making it more exciting. 30 minutes in itself is a long time to wrestle, and keep everyone interested. For me only the best storytellers, can truly succeed at that alone. We’ve seen three other famous WWE 60 minute Iron man matches since this in; Rock/Triple H, Cena/Orton and Brock/Angle, and quite frankly I think there all better than this one, because they employ the gimmick and it adds to the story and drama of the match. Though all Iron Man matches have to be paced alot, the pace of this one felt super slow.

However, I don’t believe any of those six guys could have gone a whole hour, worked that entire hour 75% mat based and 15% ariel based, with no falls to play catch up and then gone into extra time and had an elite level match. That’s exactly what Michael’s and Bret Hart did. It was an extremely difficult feat to accomplish, and it’s never been tried again and there’s a reason why. As I said technically this is a master piece and on the whole it’s a great match, I recommend it to any fans of technical wrestling or the real life Olympic wrestling.

Time: 1 hour, 2minutes, Winner: Shawn Michaels Rating: ***3/4

3. WrestleMania 23: WWE Championship: Shawn Michaels vs John Cena (c)

I was also going to do HBK vs Cena from WrestleMania 23, but I feel the Iron Man match is so long, it may be a bit overkill. However, I did rewatch the match the other day. John Cena is the most underrated performer of all time. He may not be the absolute best in ring performer of all time, but he sits in a category with Steve Austin, (post 1997), The Rock, The Undertaker, Edge and many more. In that they are actually one of the best in ring performers of all time, with their game being storytelling based, but in cooperating other aspects too. In 2007, Cena had became an elite level performer having many elite matches, and showing most of his matches to be at least good. This continued until July 2011, where he went against CM Punk, it’s something about working with Punk, that took Cena from not just an elite in ring performer but a flat out exceptional in ring performer and he’s been that ever since. Guys have had that similar experiences, but one of the thing about Cena is, he’s done it with out shedding weight. He’s always been very unorthodox in the ring, as he looks like he’s got two left feet in their. He tries hard to give athleticism but it’s never seems natural, he’s an exceptional story teller, but what sets him apart is the freakish strength he has. Cena is a freak, and it’s to the point of almost being on par with Brock Lesnar. Cena has dome some unbelievable power moves with the biggest of guys, that really huge muscle freaks like Batista, Nash and so many others struggle to do like Cena does. Due to this he’s actually one of the rare guys of his build, that works beautifully with massive power guys, because he has no trouble tossing them around like a wrag doll.

He’s also one of the most inspirational and hardest workers ever in the wwe, and maybe the fourth biggest draw in the modern era. He has also been one of the rare guys, to not only have a mainevent run going past 10 years, but to be the number one guy WWE for 10 years, John Cena is a dynasty, and one of the best talkers ever.

The story of the match is similar to the year prior, where Michaels schooled Cena, and Cena proved he could hang. The story telling was great, and much like the Hart/HBK match it was very technical with Michael’s dominating with rare technical offence from him, Cena selling tremendously. There were some nice faster sequences later, some blood and some good false finished. HBK tapped out to the STF. This is one my favourite matches ever and one of my top 3 favourite Cena WrestleMania matches. It was highly under appreciated at the time, due to Cena winning and them having a much faster paced, crowd invested match on Raw in the UK. It’s a great match that I would recommend to anyone. Again it’s a technical master piece, and one of Cena’s best technical wrestling matches ever, the pace was a bit too slow and the crowd was not the hottest.

Time: 28mins, Winner: Cena, Rating: ***3/4

Hope you have enjoyed, next time we will be looking at arguably the most beloved pro-wrestling star ever, and one of the saddest stories, can you guess who? Have a nice day!

Show more