Posted: 11/23/2013 | Employer: North Dakota State University
Extension Agent, Agriculture & Natural Resources/ Bottineau CountyOpening Number:1300326Position Title:Extension Agent, Agriculture & Natural Resources/ Bottineau CountyPosition Number:00021305FTE:1.0Salary:Commensurate with qualifications and experienceBenefits Eligibility:Benefited - includes retirement plan and full coverage for family health insuranceSearch by Group:ExtensionDivision:Agriculture and University ExtensionDepartment:Extension Service, NDSUPosition Description:The Extension Agent will work collaboratively with a team of Extension and research professionals and volunteers to provide innovative leadership for the Bottineau County Extension program. Primary duties will be to provide educational programs in agriculture, 4-H youth development, and community economic development and leadership. In agriculture, this includes the disciplines of farm business management/farm marketing, cropping systems, livestock systems, and horticulture. An area of subject matter emphasis from one of the disciplines will be determined by the person’s academic background and experience. Supervision is provided by the Extension District Director serving Bottineau County.
This is a full-time position, planning and delivering educational programs in Bottineau County and when appropriate, cooperatively in neighboring counties. Office base for this position is the Bottineau County office of the NDSU Extension Service located in Bottineau, North Dakota.
This position includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
-Interpret and integrate pertinent research information, and teach, deliver, and evaluate educational programs in the fields of farm business management/farm marketing, cropping systems, livestock systems, and horticulture.
-Provide leadership, resource support and program coordination for agriculturally-related 4-H youth development-based programs with a measurable impact on enhancing life skills of youth, adults, and volunteers. The position will collaborate with the Family and Consumer Sciences Extension Agent, and Administrative Assistants to deliver the entire 4-H youth development program, including the development and implementation of volunteer recruitment, training and management systems.
-Conduct needs and issues identification processes that result in programs based on the needs of county citizens.
-Cooperate and collaborate with local, county and state agencies, organizations and businesses to enhance agricultural leadership and programming opportunities, and utilize stakeholder input to formulate program plans to address issues that affect people throughout their life span.
-Collaborate with NDSU professionals to develop interdisciplinary programs, some of which will be delivered on a community of interest or program team basis.
-Assure compliance with equal opportunity policies.
-Participate in professional development experiences offered by the NDSU Extension Service and other entities as appropriate.
-Perform other duties assigned in support of Extension programming.Minimum Qualifications:1. Bachelor’s degree in an agricultural discipline related to the position responsibilities, and the academic capacity to enroll in a relevant graduate program in the future.
2. Skills that demonstrate knowledge and expertise in an agricultural discipline and the understanding necessary to effectively communicate the knowledge and application to other disciplines.
3. Innovative program development and educational design skills to assess needs and issues, and develop, deliver and evaluate comprehensive learning experiences that help diverse youth and adult audiences enhance their lives and communities.
4. Information and technology skills necessary to reach and teach diverse audiences, work and communicate effectively, manage time and resources, and enhance ones ability to find, evaluate, and disseminate information.
5. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with individuals, groups and through mass media.
6. Organizational management skills including the ability to conduct oneself professionally, be self-directed in the work environment, work flexible and extended hours, be comfortable with extensive travel, and manage time and resources (including grant writing) to efficiently accomplish the duties of the position.
7. Familiarity with various ethnic and socioeconomic audiences, an interest and ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, and a commitment to the principles of diversity.
8. Personal vehicle and valid drivers license.Preferred Qualifications:1. Master’s degree in an agricultural discipline.
2. Recent Extension Service work experience.
3. Working knowledge of and experience with 4-H and/or other youth programs.
4. Successful experience recruiting, selecting, training and motivating volunteers.Screening Date:11/08/2013Open Until Filled:YesSearch Type:Internal/External Simultaneously: Open to all applicantsSpecial Instructions to Applicants:Screening will begin November 8, 2013, and continue until the position is filled.
To ensure full consideration, applicants must have three people familiar with their professional training and/or experience complete and mail the NDSU Extension Service Reference Form at: http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/ext-employees/recruitment
Mike Hanson, District Director
2718 Gateway Ave. #104
Bismarck, ND 58503
Applicants must also provide complete contact information for three additional persons familiar with their professional training and/or experience.Special Conditions:No Smoking Notice:As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. 23-12-10.EO/AA Statement:North Dakota State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.Veterans Preference Notice:This position is exempt from North Dakota Veterans Preference requirements.Location:Bottineau County Extension Office of the NDSU Extension Service in Bottineau, North Dakota