*Transportation Manager- Sysco Central Pennsylvania
Job ID 6592
FLSA Status Exempt
Minimum Education Bachelor's Degree
Minimum Yrs. Experience 5
Relocation Provided ..
Travel Percentage (%) ..
More information about this job:
At Sysco we understand that building a great company is just like creating a great product - you must have all the right ingredients. For us, those ingredients are the cultures, backgrounds, ideas, and experiences behind our diverse workforce that embodies Sysco. Sysco is the global leader in selling, marketing and distributing food products to restaurants, healthcare and educational facilities, lodging establishments and other customers who prepare meals away from the home.
This Sysco Central Pennsylvania position is located in Harrisburg, PA.
A Transportation Manager is responsible for scheduling and overseeing the Transportation Supervisors and Drivers, recruiting Drivers and the training of new Drivers. Schedule is Monday through Friday, with some Saturdays. Hours may vary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Assist Sales with customer support
* Evaluate and improve Driver performance
* Communicate with Drivers regarding problems and get involved with disciplinary action when necessary
* Perform road tests and train new drivers
* Communicate with the VP of Operations regarding trip assignments for Drivers
* Work with Drivers to help resolve problem locations
* Suggest methods of delivery and back hauling
* Suggest better methods to the Routing Committee on deliveries, backhauls, equipment utilization and time windows.
* Implement new training ideas for more efficient and mistake free routes
* Help reduce shorts, damages and returns to warehouse
* Coach Drivers on productivity and work habits to help reduce run time
* Perform safety inspections on Drivers and coach them on Preferred Work Methods as well as all safety sensitive functions.
PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE AND PROFICIENCY:
* Knowledge and compliance with all DOT laws
* Knowledge and compliance of Preferred Work Methods and Safety standards, including VPP
* Read, understand and comply with all company standards
Desire to help the department through change and improvement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Must be able to perform basic arithmetic calculations (e.g., addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and percentage functions.)
* Personal computer experience preferred.
* Understanding of Excel, Outlook and Internet.
* Ability to work comfortably under pressure.
* Ability to prioritize, work multiple tasks and exceed deadlines.
* Ability to speak and write English in a clear, understandable manner.
* Ability to spell.
* Maintain a current valid Pennsylvania driver's license with insurance coverage adequate to meet the company standard.
* A good driving record is required.
* Ability to concentrate for extended periods of time.
* Minimum two years of tractor-trailer driving experience
* Thorough knowledge of all aspects of the Transportation Department
* Minimum two years of service with Sysco.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Must be able to use hands, arms, and/or feet for operation office equipment such as computers, telephones, facsimile machines, 10-key calculators, etc.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly require to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
* Must be able to bend and stoop occasionally to reach file cabinets, boxes, etc.
* Requires the ability to read written instructions, reports, and other documentation.
* The employee frequently is required to talk or hear.
* The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; walk stairs; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
* Occasionally make deliveries of items to accounts when requested.
* The employee must occasionally lift, carry and/or move up to 85 pounds. The employee must occasionally push or pull a hand cart, loaded with up to 400 pounds, up and down a ramp and up and down stairs.
* The specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level is usually moderate to loud. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, extreme cold, and vibration. The employee is exposed to outside weather conditions.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis without future employment sponsorship.
Sysco Central Pennsylvania is proud to be an EEO/AA employer - M/F/D/V.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Central Pennsylvania. This is not a Corporate position.
All hiring decisions will be made at the sole discretion of Sysco Central Pennsylvania.
Apply for this job:
* Apply for this job online
* Email this job to a friend