The University Of Westminster has a position within the Digital Communications and Publishing team for someone who has a passion for publishing with a competitive salary! The Digital Communications and Publishing team is part of the professional services of the University of Westminster supporting the core business of publishing and selling degree and short courses and student experience at the University of Westminster. Unlike many design agencies, the Digital Communications & Publishing team also manage their own print production involving print buying, pre-flight, proofing and design for unusual formats.
The Print and Digital Design apprentice will be part of a team of 20 digital creative staff, producing artwork for both print and online design.
We have well developed processes in place from design brief, art-working to making print ready documents and you would be expected to attend the weekly production meeting where you will be assigned jobs, supported by the Design team and Production Manager.
We use vast range of Adobe software, particularly InDesign and illustrator and we can ensure that the work you do will provide you with the experience and skills needed in this job market.
Digitally, we are focused on usability and you will gain experience of building wireframes using Axure and understanding design principles for web, conducting user-testing.
We produce infographics in illustrator and digital assets such as icons and you will be expected to assist the Digital Interactive Producer with this work.
We also produce tablet magazines using Digital Publishing Suite, creating layouts in InDesign, making them interactive for tablet layout and you will have the opportunity to participate in the flat-planning, editorial and design of this project.
The University of Westminster was founded as Britain’s first polytechnic in 1838. Since then it has developed into a university that combines both metropolitan and cosmopolitan dimensions, and which is closely involved in business, professional and academic life within London, as well as overseas.
The University employs two and a half thousand staff across six teaching sites in the West End of London, and Harrow supporting over twenty thousand students. It has always been, and continues to be, imaginative in recognising new needs and developing appropriate offerings for its many target markets. The University also has a strong and historic commitment to promoting equality and embracing diversity. As a place to work or to study, we strive to strengthen our reputation as a welcoming and inclusive organisation.
We will shape the future of professional life by:
• being a diverse, vibrant and inspirational learning environment
• establishing the University of Westminster as the leading practice-informed teaching and research university
• being a responsive, metropolitan and cosmopolitan university serving the needs of diverse communities
• embedding internationalization, employability and green-thinking in all that we do
Creative & Design
• Provide support to the design team where needed
• Work closely with our UX designers and developers
• Help create graphics for the magazine, website and other brand-related activities
• Be involved in Content creation (Infographics, Case studies and Whitepapers/ebooks)
• Draft copy for marketing communications
• Print finishing
• Assist on projects and provide basic pre-press design work
• Working with a Mac across University platforms
• We will support you to design print-based and digital communication materials for clients to professional standards
• You will learn to create print ready files using Adobe InDesign and Illustrator
• Required to design marketing material and update the company website
• You will be responsible for creating content on our platform with guidance from the Head of Content
• Provide customer service through responding to telephone and colleague contact
• You will carry out some administration duties
• Ensure that reports and presentations are delivered to the highest level of quality
• Provide a support function to the businesses centralised digital marketing team
• Provide a support function to the businesses centralised creative team
• To assist colleagues with activities for projects and campaigns
Key Requirements – Candidate Skills and Attributes
• A high level of written and spoken English is essential
• High level of numeracy
• Confident and approachable with excellent customer skills and telephone manner
• Able to work as part of a team as well as the ability to work with minimum supervision
• Excellent time management and organisation skills to multi-task
• Has initiative and problem solving skills
• Great research skills, accuracy and attention to detail
• Flexible and adaptable approach to working in a rapidly growing and changing business
• Keen to learn and develop new skills and knowledge
• Passion and enthusiasm for creative work with a good artistic eye and would like to learn the design process from start to finish
• Interest in marketing and social media
• Experience and knowledge of social media
• An interest in photography
• Some copywriting skills
• The ideal candidate should have a design portfolio
• Good MS Office skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Experience in blogging
• Good Excel and Word skills
• Some knowledge of HTML would be advantageous
• Some familiarity with web design and UX, and an interest in web design trends would be beneficial
• Ideally you will have studied graphic design
• Ability to use a Mac
• Some knowledge/experience of Content Management Systems such as WordPress would be a bonus
Technical – Adobe
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite would be advantageous
• Working knowledge of publishing software such as InDesign and Photoshop
• Knowledge and experience of using Adobe Photoshop would be advantageous
• Passion for digital art (we will support you to become confident using Adobe suite – Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign)
• Knowledge of graphic design (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign) would be advantageous, but you will receive on-the-job training as well
• Candidates must have knowledge of Adobe Photoshop
Based in 101 New Cavendish Street, London W1W 6XH , the apprentice may be required to travel to other London campuses
New Cavendish street is between Oxford Street and Marylebone Road and equidistant to underground stations at Warren Street, Oxford Circus and Goodge street. Bus services run to major main line stations.