2013-10-01

Media days continue to go off with a bang around the NBA.

As teams gear up for the 2013-14 regular season, they're facing questions about what comes next, what their expectations are and, in some cases, why they love defense so much.

Players and franchise personnel don't always have the answers to said inquiries, but it doesn't matter. We're just happy to know they're in uniform and inhabiting those empty locker rooms again.

The offseason is over. Basketball is back.

Atlanta Hawks

No Tweeting for Coach Bud

Breaking: Mike Budenholzer will not be creating a Twitter.

The opposite of breaking: Coach Bud wants us to know the Atlanta Hawks are the Atlanta Hawks.

Phew. Thanks for the reminder, Mike.

Al Horford Is Popular...Finally

With both Joe Johnson and Josh Smith now out of the picture, Al Horford is getting the attention he rightly deserves.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to remind you he's not better off playing power forward. Not even close.

Thank you for your time.

Boston Celtics

Rajon Rondo Will Return Sometime in the Winter

Rajon Rondo gave us some insight into when he would return—sometime in the winter.

Rest assured, Celtics fans, Rondo will return whilst it's still cold enough to have snowball fights. And when he does return, he knows the process will be about mind over matter.

Good, because I was under the impression Rondo didn't know he could both bend spoons and regain explosion using just his mind.

Seriously, though, the mental part of this thing is tough. All Rondo needs to do is ask Derrick Rose. It's good that he's prepared to endure what follows.

And it's even better that he and new head coach Brad Stevens appear to be on the same page.

Bonds between texting buddies are everlasting. Remember that.

Rondo Isn't Phased by Kevin Garnett or Paul Pierce's Departure

Boston blew up its roster over the summer and it would be understandable if the departure of Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce took a toll on Rondo.

Apparently, it hasn't. Rondo was business as usual.

It seems he shows emotion about as well as Kris Humphries can play point guard.

Kris Humphries, The Leader

Speaking of Humphries, those within the Celtics organization have been impressed with his leadership abilities.

Just so I'm clear, that means we're saying Humphries is the ideal player to lead a blatant tank job, right?

Charlotte Bobcats

In Al Jefferson We Trust

Al Jefferson would like to remind you that Al Jefferson will be benefiting from Patrick Ewing's tutelage of Al Jefferson.

Why? Because the Bobcats are expecting a lot from Al Jefferson.

In case you didn't pick up on this, when Steve Clifford said "when the game is on the line," he meant the first quarter. Charlotte games tend to be well out of reach after the first 12 minutes.

Gerald Henderson Is Funny

The funniest thing you'll hear before the regular season starts, brought to you by a slightly delusional Gerald Henderson:

Cleveland Cavaliers

Andrew Bynum Will Play More This Season Than He Did Last Year

Andrew Bynum still has no concrete timetable behind his return, to the surprise of absolutely no one. That said, he claims he'll play this season.

We've seen this song and dance before, only to be blindsided by a surprising setback after a bowling or arcade excursion.

But maybe this time will be different. Bynum says he lost weight and is regaining his explosion.

I guess all that Salsa-style dancing in Madrid worked out well for him.

Kyrie Irving Is (Overly) Ambitious...

Kyrie Irving has set some lofty goals for himself this season. He apparently wants to become the best player in the NBA.

Someone should tell him he's supposed to kiss LeBron James' behind before free agency begins, not aspire to beat it.

Also, his pledge kind of makes my promise to winterize my lawn sprinklers before November seem lazy.

...And Will Do Anything for the Vine

This one's kind of self-explanatory:

I'm still awaiting word on whether Irving has joined Bynum's "Boogie Oogie Oogie" fan club.

Dallas Mavericks

Monta Still Plans on Shooting and Missing

Monta Ellis may have just given us the most backhanded quote of all NBA media days:

This would have only been better if he went off on one of his Dwyane Wade tangents thereafter.

On a more serious note, Ellis might want to think twice before he plays "Monta basketball." Dirk Nowitzki seems to be expecting big things out of the volume-shooting guard.

By the end of the season, I bet he says he's never played with anyone as fearlessly inefficient as Monta, either.

Dirk Putting in Work

Head coach Rick Carlisle wouldn't make any guarantees about Nowitzki's health, but he did praise the work he put in this past summer.

For the Mavericks to make the playoffs, Dirk must have an amazing year.

Hump-day-spoof amazing.

Monta Predicts Playoffs

Ellis seems to believe the Mavericks are going to surprise some people this year en route to a postseason berth.

Looking at Dallas' roster, I implore you to take Ellis' prediction with a pinch of skepticism and handle of whiskey.

Denver Nuggets

Lil' Nate Dreaming Big

Nate Robinson said he aspires to shoot 50/50/90 from the field in 2013-14.

But why stop there? Why not aspire to win the Nobel Prize and develop a cure for "the Mondays," too?

For what it's worth, only six players in NBA history have ever shot 50/50/90 from the field for an entire season. And just one of them appeared in more than 30 games during said season—Steve Kerr (1995-96).

Good luck, Nate.

JaVale McGee Won't Smile for the Cameras

Media day is all about smiles...unless you're JaVale McGee.

Logic would suggest he's going for the sexy, smoldering look, minus the sexy part.

Brian Shaw Not High on George Karl

Denver's new head coach, Brian Shaw, is already looking ahead to the playoffs.

He also, ever-so politely, made it clear that his predecessor, George Karl, wasn't the man for the job.

Ba-Zing.

Detroit Pistons

Brandon Jennings Wanted to Play with Rasheed Wallace

Few players would have passed on the opportunity to play with Rasheed Wallace, and Brandon Jennings isn't one of them.

Think of all the meltdowns 'Sheed would've had when Jennings went all, well, Jennings and missed ill-advised shot attempts.

Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe Look Good Together

Opposing teams beware: Detroit's front line is looking pretty good.

Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe will have to step up this season if the Pistons want to make the playoffs. Otherwise, Detroit will be left hanging on Josh Smith's and Jennings' every missed shot.

So, yeah...

Los Angeles Clippers

A Cheap Shot at Boston?

Doc Rivers called this Clippers team the most "versatile" he's ever coached, and they haven't even played a game yet.

This comes on the heels of Rivers naming the Los Angeles Lakers, not the Celtics, the most storied franchise in sports. It seems like once Doc hopped off the plane at LAX, with his dream and his cardigan, he was prepared to move on from Boston ASAP.

Smurf City

The Clippers unveiled their alternate, Smurf-colored short-sleeved uniforms and they were, well, interesting.

That's a whole lot of baby blue. Maybe too much baby blue. I actually think Gonzo wants his skin tone back.

Chris Paul Is Kind of on a Minutes Cap, But Not Really

Doc's plan to limit Chris Paul's minutes this season is ingenious.

What's that? The Clippers don't play the Philadelphia 76ers 82 times this season? Might be time to go back to the drawing board, Doc.

DeAndre Jordan Is Going to Finish Games

DeAndre Jordan will elevate his status to an elite defender in 2014, or so says Rivers.

Dwight Howard might have something to say about that. Marc Gasol, too. Andris Biedrins probably won't, though, so that's a plus.

Since Rivers likes to run big at the end of games, he also plans to play Jordan in the fourth quarter.

I suppose that means he also likes to miss free throws at the end of games, too.

Milwaukee Bucks

Larry Sanders Is the Best

Milwaukee's big man is already worth every penny of that $44 million the Bucks previously gave him.

When asked about Brandon Jennings saying he's playing with better bigs in Detroit, Larry Sanders gave his former teammate the business.

Boom roasted.

Larry, John and Giannis Are Really Long

This one needs no introduction:

Forever digging the 2-3 zone in Milwaukee.

Miami Heat

LeBron Wants to Be the G.O.A.T.

What keeps LeBron motivated after all these years? Becoming the greatest NBA player of all time.

Chin up, LeBron. You're closer than you think, and than people care to admit.

Dwyane Wade Knows He's No. 2

Dwyane Wade knows his place on the Heat—behind LeBron.

You can't feel too bad about that if you're Wade. The entire league falls in line behind LeBron.

Michael Beasley on the Right Track

Stop me if you've heard this one before.

Michael Beasley is a changed man since joining the Heat because he knows he's expendable.

That effectively implies he was nonchalant about his entire career until this point. Good to know, Beas.

LeBron Endorses Nicknames

The NBA can go ahead and breathe easy, because LeBron is all for nicknames on the back of jerseys.

I'd be all for it, too, if people called me "The Chosen One," "King" or "The Greatest, Most Bestest Player in the Universe."

Too bad that last one probably wouldn't fit.

Mum's the Word on Free Agency

LeBron wouldn't comment on his impending free agency.

Surprise, surprise.

Wade wouldn't comment on it for him, either.

Surprise, surprise, Part II.

New Orleans Pelicans
Jrue Holiday Is Happy to Be There

Jrue Holiday knows how to make an entrance.

Holiday better quit it, or he's going to make New Orleans fans blush the color of an actual Pelican.

Tyreke Evans Will Come off the Bench

So much for running that super-small starting lineup consisting of Holiday, Tyreke Evans and Eric Gordon.

Jason Smith Wins "Random Comment of Media Day" Award

Jason Smith extended the New Orleans Saints' Jimmy Graham an open roster invitation.

Don't worry, I'm stumped, too. Though I suppose he'd be a great addition if the Pelicans were looking to give opposing floppers the old what for.

New York Knicks
Iman Shumpert Is the Man

"I wanna score so bad, I'm willing to snatch the ball out of your hands," Iman Shumpert said during Knicks media day.

Mind. Blown.

My question: Why isn't Carmelo Anthony a better defender then?

Orlando Magic

Young Guys Ready to Be Great

The Magic are a young team, but they're itching for the day they're a great team.

Good thing the youngsters realize what it's going to take to get there. It's always better to be prepared for loads of losing than for it to come as a shock.

Victor Oladipo Is a Guard

Victor Oladipo is a guard, though the Magic refused to specify which family of guards he would belong to.

At least they've narrowed it down.

Phoenix Suns

Channing Frye Ready for Action

This is just great:

Best of luck to you, Channing.

The Future

Below stands the future of the Suns organization—Eric Bledsoe, Goran Dragic and Alex Len.

I have awkward feelings about this trio. Ranch-dressing-mixed-with-pickled-beets awkward.

Portland Trail Blazers

We're Going to the Playoffs...Right?

General manager Neil Olshey seems to believe a Blazers playoff berth is all but certain.

Weird, because I can come up with plenty of reasons. Unproven depth, a wildly talented Western Conference, the Mavericks, the Timberwolves, the Lakers—you get the point.

Nicolas Batum Must Be in Full Bloom

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

For the Blazers to make good on Olshey's playoff visions, the GM says the swingman must be a model of consistency.

Can't argue with him there, though I'd add Wesley Matthews, too. And Mo Williams. Sensational campaigns from LaMarcus Aldridge and Damian Lillard are a must as well.

Move On or Olshey Is Going to Thump You

Olshey's media day really was a gem. Touching on previous Aldridge trade rumors, he invoked his right to intimidate the media.

Let's see if his scare tactics work. Or if we find out he's lying. Whichever comes first.

Sacramento Kings

DeMarcus Cousins Likes Money

Never before have I seen DeMarcus Cousins as happy as this:

Then again, I'd be smiling, too, if I just landed a fat, $60 million-plus extension. I'd also be swimming in a bathtub full of singles. Just in case you're looking for things to try, Boogies.

Shaq Already Having an Impact

Expensive swim sessions aside, Shaquille O'Neal already appears to be having an impact on Cousins.

Boogie spoke of a winning attitude and becoming a leader for his Kings.

A seemingly determined Cousins? Well this is certainly new.

Toronto Raptors

Riggin' for Wiggins? Who, us?

Masai Ujiri made it clear the Raptors aren't tanking for Andrew Wiggins.

Wink, wink.

Rudy Gay Beefs Up

Rudy Gay says he gained 20 pounds of muscle this offseason, five more pounds than usual. I'm not sure if he followed the Enes Kanter diet to do so.

The better to fight off advocates of efficient shooting this season I guess, right?

Drake Is in the House

Toronto named hip-hop star Drake a "global ambassador," because why the hell not?

Just look at Drake now. He "Started From the Bottom," now he's here—back at the bottom.

Utah Jazz

Contract Extensions Imminent?

The question we're all asking ourselves: How in the hell is DeSagana Diop still around?

Our next question: What's going on with Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors?

Nice, now we can breathe easy. As long as Hayward and Favors don't explode too soon, that is. You wouldn't want to see the Jazz miss out on a chance to tank past the rest, would you?

Player Comfort > Media Convenience

Reporters were treated to a surprise in Utah when they saw a buffet set up in the pressroom. But it turns out the Jazz had actually converted it into a player lounge instead.

That'll teach the media to think the Jazz care about their grumbling tummies.

Triple D's

Get your head out of the gutter. We're talking about the Jazz's "Three D's of Success": Discipline. Development. Defense.

Sort of reminds me of the "Five D's of Dodgeball," sans all the dodging, dipping, ducking, diving and dodging.

Unless, of course, the Jazz are trying to avoid winning. Then all five may apply.

Read more NBA news on BleacherReport.com

Full Story...

Show more