2013-06-27

1Nerlens NoelCleveland Cavaliers

COLLEGE: KentuckyAGE: 19HT: 7-0WT: 219POS: C

Analysis: Noel has been my top pick in every mock from 1.0 to 7.0. The Cavs, however, have yet to tip their hand. Various theories about Cleveland's attachment to Noel, Alex Len, Anthony Bennett, Ben McLemore, Otto Porter and Victor Oladipo abound.

Here's what I know as of midnight Wednesday evening.

The Cavs' top option is to trade the No. 1 overall pick for a combination of a veteran plus a 2014 first-round pick. If they can pull that off, they'll move the pick. If they can't, they'll keep attempting to move whoever they draft until all their options have been exercised.

And if they keep the pick? General manager Chris Grant has been a Nerlens Noel guy all year. Other people in the front office are pushing for Len. I even heard, somewhat convincingly, that owner Dan Gilbert loves Oladipo!

With a split front office, the final decision comes to Grant. I think he's a Noel guy … but we'll all find out whether I'm reading the tea leaves correctly around 7:35 p.m.

PLAYER CARD

2Victor OladipoOrlando Magic

COLLEGE: IndianaAGE: 21HT: 6-4WT: 213POS: SG

Analysis: I continue to hear that if the Cavs pass on Noel, the Magic are leaning strongly toward selecting Noel with the No. 2 pick in the draft.

If Noel is off the board? Things get a little tougher. Some favor Oladipo. Others McLemore. While McLemore is a stronger offensive player, Oladipo's defense and his crazy motor hold a strong appeal for the Magic. Culture matters in Orlando and I think Oladipo trumps McLemore by an edge.

PLAYER CARD

3Otto PorterWashington Wizards

COLLEGE: GeorgetownAGE: 20HT: 6-9WT: 198POS: SF

Analysis: The constant that was Otto Porter has become less constant as several reports claim the Wizards now favor Anthony Bennett. I've heard both from inside the Wizards. Clearly, like most front offices in the league right now, there are two different factions. I continue to hear that Porter is the safer pick and better fits the team's culture and they will lean that way.

PLAYER CARD

4Ben McLemoreCharlotte Bobcats

COLLEGE: KansasAGE: 20HT: 6-5WT: 189POS: SG

Analysis: Some information is starting to trickle out of Charlotte. The team is looking at Len, Bennett, Porter and Cody Zeller. In fact, I think Zeller might be in the mix more than I once believed. But my most convincing source persuaded me the Bobcats won't pass on McLemore if he's here.

PLAYER CARD

5Alex LenPhoenix Suns

COLLEGE: MarylandAGE: 20HT: 7-1WT: 225POS: C

Analysis: The Suns' primary need is a scoring wing, but if Oladipo and McLemore are off the board, don't be surprised if the Suns grab Len here. New general manager Ryan McDonough is a fan of Len's, and with Marcin Gortat heading into the last year of his deal, Len quite literally could become the centerpiece of the franchise. Michael Carter-Williams and Zeller also are real possibilities here.

PLAYER CARD

6Michael Carter-WilliamsNew Orleans Pelicans

COLLEGE: SyracuseAGE: 21HT: 6-6WT: 184POS: PG

Analysis: The Pelicans might be tempted by Bennett, but they have a bigger need at point guard. While they like Austin Rivers, Carter-Williams is more of the pure point guard they think could be the perfect set-up man for Anthony Davis. Trey Burke is an option here as is C.J. McCollum, but it looks like Carter-Williams might be the best fit.

PLAYER CARD

7C.J. McCollumSacramento Kings

COLLEGE: LehighAGE: 21HT: 6-3WT: 197POS: PG

Analysis: The Kings are engaged in trade talks with a number of teams, and they might move this pick. If they keep it, McCollum makes sense. The team wants a point guard who can shoot the ball. That was supposed to be Jimmer Fredette two years ago, but it looks like the team might be moving on. I also wouldn't be surprised if Utah moved up to No. 7 to land McCollum.

PLAYER CARD

8Anthony BennettDetroit Pistons

COLLEGE: UNLVAGE: 20HT: 6-8WT: 240POS: PF

Analysis: For a third year in a row, the Pistons are hoping that one of the top seven players on the board takes a surprise dip on draft night. They might get their wish. While the team is after a point guard, Bennett might be too good to pass up. He can play both the 4 and the 3 and gives them another great scoring option in their frontcourt. Carter-Williams would be another serious option here.

PLAYER CARD

9Kentavious Caldwell-PopeMinnesota Timberwolves

COLLEGE: GeorgiaAGE: 20HT: 6-6WT: 204POS: SG

Analysis: Of all the picks in this mock draft, this is the one I'm most sure of. We've had Caldwell-Pope here for over a month and we're not moving him unless Minnesota trades up to No. 2, 4 or 5 to land Oladipo.

PLAYER CARD

10Trey BurkePortland Trail Blazers

COLLEGE: MichiganAGE: 20HT: 6-1WT: 187POS: PG

Updated 1:00 PM EST: Burke moved from No. 12 to 10.

Analysis: The Blazers are hoping McCollum or Caldwell-Pope are on the board. But if they aren't? It will come down to Burke, Steven Adams and Cody Zeller. It's a tough three-way race, but I hear that the Blazers might lean toward Burke, in part, because he's a trade asset. Given his size, Burke might struggle to play in the same backcourt as Damian Lillard, but the Blazers had success with Lillard and Eric Maynor last year and feel it will work out if they can't trade him.

PLAYER CARD

11Cody ZellerPhiladelphia 76ers

COLLEGE: IndianaAGE: 20HT: 7-0WT: 230POS: C

Analysis: Zeller is getting a lot of buzz now with the Bobcats, Suns and Blazers. We've had him here in every mock draft, and this is the first time I feel like he won't be there. If the Bobcats or Suns swap picks with the T-Wolves, Zeller could be their guy. I'm told Sergey Karasev, Kelly Olynyk and Mason Plumlee are options here, but probably only if Zeller is off the board.

PLAYER CARD

12Steven AdamsOklahoma City Thunder via Toronto Raptors

COLLEGE: PittsburghAGE: 19HT: 7-0WT: 255POS: C

Updated 1:00 PM EST: Stevens moved from No. 10 to 12.

Analysis: The Thunder have a lot of interest in Steven Adams. He's raw, but he has as much talent as any big in the draft if teams are patient. Sergey Karasev and Kelly Olynyk are other possibilities and multiple sources say the Thunder are actively trying to move up in the draft.

PLAYER CARD

13Sergey KarasevDallas Mavericks

Analysis: The Mavericks continue to lean heavily toward trading the pick (if they haven't already). According to various reports, one scenario floating around has them swapping picks with the Cavs. If that happens, it's almost certainly to be for Karasev. There are several other teams who are after Karasev, including the Bucks, Hawks and Nets, and they could be great trade partners. If the Mavericks keep the pick, Michael Carter-Williams and Dennis Schroeder also would be possibilities here.

PLAYER CARD

14Lucas NogueiraUtah Jazz

Analysis: Not much has changed here since the last mock. If C.J. McCollum, Trey Burke or Michael Carter-Williams (probably in that order) are on the board, the Jazz go point guard. If they're gone? The team isn't in love with any of the point guards left. They also need bigs (both Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap are free agents this summer) and it looks as if they're open to using the draft to help address that need. Nogueira isn't the only guy they'll look at here. Kelly Olynyk and Mason Plumlee also have a shot. But I think Nogueira is the most intriguing of the group.

PLAYER CARD

15Shane LarkinMilwaukee Bucks

COLLEGE: MiamiAGE: 20HT: 6-0WT: 171POS: PG

Analysis: If the draft plays out this way, the Bucks are looking at three names -- Larkin, Dennis Schroeder or Glen Rice Jr., who came in for a second workout Tuesday. It's hard to say which way the Bucks are leaning, but it looks like Larkin has the slight edge.

PLAYER CARD

16Kelly OlynykBoston Celtics

COLLEGE: GonzagaAGE: 22HT: 7-0WT: 234POS: PF

Analysis: The Celtics are in full rebuilding mode, but I'm not sure how that affects the draft. I keep hearing four names: Adams, Dennis Schroeder, Larkin or Olynyk. Over the course of the past 24 hours, it seems like Olynyk is gaining momentum there. He's a very skilled big man who would add size and scoring to the Celtics' front line.

PLAYER CARD

17Giannis AntetokounmpoAtlanta Hawks via Houston Rockets

Analysis: I continue to hear Antetokounmpo's name here. The Hawks can stash him overseas, let him develop, and in a few years he could be the steal of the draft. Or we'll all forget they drafted him. Either scenario probably works for Atlanta.

PLAYER CARD

18Shabazz MuhammadAtlanta Hawks

COLLEGE: UCLAAGE: 20HT: 6-6WT: 222POS: SF

Analysis: There's a point at which a player's reward outweighs the risk. I'm not sure where Muhammad's floor is, but it has to be pretty close. Yes, there are flaws in his game, but at some point you can't ignore his scoring abilities. The Hawks have been doing a lot of research on Muhammad the past few days. Plumlee, San Diego State's Jamaal Franklin and Michigan's Tim Hardaway Jr. also are possibilities.

PLAYER CARD

19Reggie BullockCleveland Cavaliers via Los Angeles Lakers

COLLEGE: North CarolinaAGE: 22HT: 6-7WT: 200POS: SF

Analysis: If the Cavs grab Noel at No. 1, look for them to add a small forward or shooter with the second first-round pick. They would love to get their hands on Karasev if they could; they are trying to move up to grab him. Moving to No. 13 seems to be the consensus of where they need to get to, and it looks as if they are willing to eat Shawn Marion's salary for a year to get there in a trade with Dallas. If they can't get to No. 13, Bullock is another shooter on whom they really are high. Bullock shot 44 percent from 3-point range this season and has the size to play both wing positions.

PLAYER CARD

20Mason PlumleeChicago Bulls

COLLEGE: DukeAGE: 23HT: 6-10WT: 238POS: PF

Analysis: Every mock draft, we alternate between a big and a wing for the Bulls. They need both. Plumlee is an interesting case. Lots of teams like him, few love him. But I think it would be hard for the Bulls to pass on Plumlee's value at No. 20. Tim Hardaway Jr. and Jamaal Franklin are other possibilities.

PLAYER CARD

21Isaiah CanaanUtah Jazz via Golden State Warriors

SCHOOL: Murray StateAGE: 22HT: 6-0WT: 188POS: PG

Analysis: If the Jazz pass on a point guard at No. 14, they have to be content with what's left at No. 21. This one might come down to Schroeder and Canaan. Schroeder is bigger, but Canaan is a much better scorer. It's really tough to pinpoint who they'd choose, but I think Canaan has the edge. Nogueira and France's Rudy Gobert also are potential picks here if the Jazz go with a point guard at No. 14.

PLAYER CARD

22Dennis SchroederBrooklyn Nets

Updated 1:00 PM EST: Schroeder moved up to No. 22 from 23.

Analysis: The Nets have been looking for a backup point guard for a while, and if Schroeder falls to them, expect them to snatch him up. He's a bit raw, but his length and athleticism are alluring. Big man Gorgui Dieng is also a possibility here.

PLAYER CARD

23Gorgui DiengIndiana Pacers

COLLEGE: LouisvilleAGE: 23HT: 6-11WT: 230POS: C

Updated 1:00 PM EST: Dieng moved down to No. 23 from 22.

Analysis: The Pacers would prefer a point guard, but in this scenario they are all off the board. Dieng is an interesting project at center. Allen Crabbe, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Tony Snell are also possibilities here.

PLAYER CARD

24Jamaal FranklinNew York Knicks

COLLEGE: San Diego St.AGE: 22HT: 6-5WT: 191POS: SG

Analysis: Franklin is super-athletic and can play multiple positions. He's not a need pick per se. The Knicks could really use a power forward, but Franklin has more upside and adds a toughness that Knicks fans will love. Tony Mitchell also is a possibility here.

PLAYER CARD

25Tim Hardaway Jr.Los Angeles Clippers

COLLEGE: MichiganAGE: 21HT: 6-6WT: 199POS: SG

Analysis: The Clippers are going for it and are going to need all the help they can get. That might force them to take a veteran guard who can give them shooting and minutes. Hardaway is a coach's favorite, and I could see the Clippers thinking he'd make a great fit at No. 25.

PLAYER CARD

26Allen CrabbeMinnesota Timberwolves via Memphis Grizzlies

COLLEGE: CalAGE: 21HT: 6-6WT: 197POS: SG

Analysis: Minnesota wants shooting and they need help at the 2 and 3. I think they could grab another shooter, even if the take Caldwell-Pope at No. 9. Crabbe has the size to play the 3 and would add another target for Ricky Rubio. Rudy Gobert also is a possibility here.

PLAYER CARD

27Tony SnellDenver Nuggets

COLLEGE: New MexicoAGE: 21HT: 6-7WT: 198POS: SG

Analysis: The Nuggets are in danger of losing Andre Iguodalathis summer after he opted to become a free agent. What they really need is a shooter. Snell and Ricky Ledo are the best shooters left on the board.

PLAYER CARD

28Rudy GobertSan Antonio Spurs

Analysis: The Spurs need size and have never shied away from taking international players. What Gobert lacks in athletic ability, he makes up with extreme length for his position. The Spurs also can stash him overseas if they need the cash.

PLAYER CARD

29Ricky LedoOklahoma City Thunder

COLLEGE: ProvidenceAGE: 20HT: 6-6WT: 197POS: SG

Analysis: This might be a bit of a reach. But the Thunder have been looking for an elite shooting guard, and Ledo is as talented as several players in the lottery. He has lots of off-court issues, but the Thunder might try to rehabilitate him in their excellent D-League franchise.

PLAYER CARD

30Erick GreenPhoenix Suns via Miami Heat

SCHOOL: Virginia TechAGE: 22HT: 6-3WT: 178POS: PG

Analysis: Green was one of the best scorers in the country this season and some teams think he can make the transition to point guard in the pros. The Suns are down on last year's lottery pick Kendall Marshall. Green could provide some scoring punch to the backcourt.

PLAYER CARD

----------------------------------------------------------------

With draft day here, let's take a look beyond Round 1, which you can see here. The second round has provided plenty of value in recent years, and there is also a lot of strategy at play. Many teams don't have the roster space for a pick from this round and will draft with several years of projection in mind in taking young European prospects. You'll also see teams betting on one elite skill or big-time athleticism. Whatever it is, we're certain to find future NBA players here.

Here's one projection of how it could look this year. Watch the names as much as the fits. It's obviously pretty much impossible to predict those, as many teams are still finalizing strategies for Round 1, much less Round 2.

MORE DRAFT CONTENT:

Round One | Ford's Top 100 | Experts mock

31Mike MuscalaCleveland Cavaliers

COLLEGE: BucknellAGE: 21HT: 6-11WT: 230POS: C

Analysis: Muscala will have to make the transition from college center to NBA stretch 4, but he's one of the most skilled big men in the draft and a steal at No. 31.

PLAYER CARD

32Alex AbrinesOklahoma City Thunder

Analysis: With two picks in the first round, I doubt the Thunder are adding a third player capable of making the roster in the second round. Abrines has a lot of talent and is getting to play against elite competition in Spain. The Thunder can afford to be patient.

PLAYER CARD

33Pierre JacksonCleveland Cavaliers

COLLEGE: BaylorAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 176POS: PG

Analysis: Jackson is one of the more intriguing guards left in the draft. He's got a ton of talent; he's just undersized. Jackson can shoot it, get to the basket and find his teammates. Might be an ideal backup for Kyrie Irving.

PLAYER CARD

34Glen Rice Jr.Houston Rockets

COLLEGE: NBDLAGE: 22HT: 6-6WT: 211POS: SF

Analysis: It would be poetic justice if Rice slips out of the first and lands here. He played for the Rockets' D-League team, the Vipers. They love him. He could go as high as 15 to Milwaukee, but I think this is his floor.

PLAYER CARD

35Jeff WitheyPhiladelphia 76ers

COLLEGE: KansasAGE: 23HT: 7-0WT: 222POS: C

Analysis: The Sixers want size. They got the stretch 4 in Zeller in the first round and here they get an elite shot-blocker in the second. Withey is a steal at 35.

PLAYER CARD

36C.J. LeslieSacramento Kings

COLLEGE: N.C. StateAGE: 22HT: 6-9WT: 209POS: SF

Analysis: Leslie is an intriguing guy. He had the fastest agility scores of anyone in the draft combine. He's an elite athlete, just a tweener. If he ever locks down on defense, he'll be really good.

PLAYER CARD

37Archie GoodwinDetroit Pistons

COLLEGE: KentuckyAGE: 18HT: 6-5WT: 189POS: PG

Analysis: Goodwin was billed as a poor man's Russell Westbrook coming into Kentucky. He struggled mightily, but the raw talent is there. He's got elite speed and athletic abilities. If he ever figures out a jumper, he's got a lot of upside.

PLAYER CARD

38Phil PresseyWashington Wizards

COLLEGE: MissouriAGE: 22HT: 6-0WT: 177POS: PG

Analysis: Pressey actually is getting a few looks in the late first round, but if he slides into the second, the Wizards could use a backup point guard for John Wall and Pressey provides both speed and great floor vision.

PLAYER CARD

39Grant JerrettPortland Trail Blazers

COLLEGE: ArizonaAGE: 19HT: 6-10WT: 232POS: PF

Analysis: Jerrett left school too early, but the truth is he's a very intriguing prospect as a stretch 4. A good get for the Blazers at No. 39.

PLAYER CARD

40Nemanja NedovicPortland Trail Blazers

Analysis: GM Neil Olshey may not love international players, but he's not adding more than two rookies to his roster. Nedovic is a great athlete and could be a nice addition down the road.

PLAYER CARD

41Andre RobersonMemphis Grizzlies

COLLEGE: ColoradoAGE: 20HT: 6-7WT: 206POS: SF

Analysis: How do you predict a John Hollinger pick? I just went over to Kevin Pelton's draft rater and looked to see who was highest on his board. Roberson actually was ranked at No. 3 -- in the whole draft! The Grizzlies can't pass on that at 41.

PLAYER CARD

42Tony MitchellPhiladelphia 76ers

COLLEGE: North TexasAGE: 21HT: 6-9WT: 236POS: PF

Analysis: Mitchell could go as high as No. 24 to the Knicks, but there still are a lot of teams that are wary of him. Given his athleticism and rebounding abilities, he's a great fit in Philly and shouldn't slide much further than this.

PLAYER CARD

43Lorenzo BrownMilwaukee Bucks

COLLEGE: NC StateAGE: 22HT: 6-5WT: 189POS: PG

Analysis: In our first-round mock we have the Bucks taking the smallest point guard in the draft. We offset it here by having them take one of the biggest. Brown isn't a great shooter, but he's got great size and a feel for the game.

PLAYER CARD

44Deshaun ThomasDallas Mavericks

COLLEGE: Ohio StateAGE: 22HT: 6-9WT: 220POS: SF

Analysis: Thomas is one of the best scorers in the draft and has a mature game that should allow him to play right away. He's a bit of a one-trick pony, but few players in this draft can get buckets the way he can.

PLAYER CARD

45Livio Jean-CharlesPortland Blazers

Analysis: Again, the Blazers don't have any more roster spots and are best served by drafting guys and leaving them overseas. Jean-Charles impressed at the Nike Hoop Summit, but he needs more time to develop.

PLAYER CARD

46Nate WoltersUtah Jazz

COLLEGE: South Dakota St.AGE: 22HT: 6-5WT: 196POS: PG

Analysis: The Jazz would be thrilled if Wolters was still on the board here. He was under consideration at No. 21 and brings size and floor vision to the table.

PLAYER CARD

47Bojan DubljevicAtlanta Hawks

Analysis: The Hawks have multiple first-round picks. They're probably not going to mess with second-rounders. The Serbian big man can really shoot the lights out.

PLAYER CARD

48Myck KabongoLos Angeles Lakers

COLLEGE: TexasAGE: 20HT: 6-3WT: 180POS: PG

Analysis: There was a time when Kabongo was mentioned as a potential lottery pick. He's a steal here for the Lakers, and in time he could earn a spot in the rotation.

PLAYER CARD

49Alexandre ParanhosChicago Bulls

Analysis: Paranhos was discovered by Leandro Barbosa. (There's a great story on TrueHoop about him.) The Bulls are one of the few teams that have worked him out. Lots of intrigue surrounding a 6-foot-8 NBA athlete who can shoot the rock.

PLAYER CARD

50Raul NetoAtlanta Hawks

Analysis: The Brazilian point guard impressed at the Nike Hoop Summit. He has a bright future down the road.

PLAYER CARD

51Ray McCallumOrlando Magic

COLLEGE: DetroitAGE: 18HT: 6-2WT: 191POS: PG

Analysis: The Magic could use help everywhere and McCallum brings a lot to the table as a heady point guard who can run a team and get to the rim.

PLAYER CARD

52Marko TodorovicMinnesota Timberwolves via Brooklyn Nets

Analysis: With multiple first-round picks, the Wolves likely will go international at this point. Todorovic is big and can play inside and outside. A great draft-and-stash prospect.

PLAYER CARD

53Jackie CarmichaelIndiana Pacers

SCHOOL: Illinois StateAGE: 23HT: 6-9WT: 241POS: PF

Analysis: Carmichael is one of the toughest forwards in the draft. He's a great athlete and very experienced; the Pacers would really be able to use him right away, and he'd have a great mentor in David West.

PLAYER CARD

54Erik MurphyWashington Wizards

COLLEGE: FloridaAGE: 22HT: 6-10WT: 240POS: PF

Analysis: Stretch 4s are always in demand and Murphy can really stroke the basketball from deep.

PLAYER CARD

55Angelo SharplessMemphis Grizzlies

COLLEGE: Elizabeth CityAGE: 22HT: 6-4WT: 190POS: SG

Analysis: This super-athletic 2-guard who played at Elizabeth City is under the radar, but he's had a series of impressive workouts for teams.

PLAYER CARD

56Solomon HillDetroit Pistons

COLLEGE: ArizonaAGE: 22HT: 6-7WT: 226POS: SF

Analysis: The Pistons could use a small forward and Hill is a player who doesn't excel in any one area, but is a leader on the floor. A perfect fit with a team like the Pistons.

PLAYER CARD

57Richard HowellPhoenix Suns

COLLEGE: NC StateAGE: 22HT: 6-8WT: 250POS: PF

Analysis: The Suns are soft. Howell is not. End of story.

PLAYER CARD

58Oleksandr LypovyySan Antonio Spurs

Analysis: The Spurs always find these gems late. Lypovyy was the star at the Eurocamp in 2012, but regressed a bit last year. He's worth taking a shot on at 58.

PLAYER CARD

59Vitalis ChikokoMinnesota Timberwolves

Analysis: Chikoko is a long, athletic big man from Zimbabwe who has been playing in Germany. He's not ready for the NBA, but given his size, length and burgeoning skill level, he could be a nice draft-and-stash type player.

PLAYER CARD

60D.J. StephensMemphis Grizzlies

COLLEGE: MemphisAGE: 22HT: 6-6WT: 194POS: SF

Analysis: I'm hoping Hollinger will do me a favor here. The best athlete in the draft. Crazy motor. Just undersized and underskilled. I love him. Played for Memphis. If nothing else, he'd put on a hell of a halftime show. Please, John?

PLAYER CARD

Show more