2016-09-22

For those of you who are sure that INTP is the best description of your personality type, how did you reach that conclusion? Was it through testing? Or reading descriptions and finding which one applied? Or by looking at cognitive function theory?

It seems that cognitive function dynamics are widely touted as THE method for determining type, especially if a score is borderline. But I have found no evidence whatsoever to support the idea that this is true. Typing in general can be only moderately useful, and only as a tool for understanding self and others. But when you throw in the cognitive function stacks, it adds a whole new level of supposition and projection. And it actually seems to interfere with any meaningful usage of type. I do believe that cognitive functions have some usefulness – but only in understanding oneself and the areas that are clearly weak. It seems to me that it is very limiting to assume that a type has to have cognitive function stacks in a particular order. Perhaps the cognitive functions should be evaluated separately as a possible contribution to understanding type, but not assumed to be the end to all?

I am pretty sure that I have finally figured out why I do not fit well into either INTP or INFP descriptions. And it has to do with types being always described in terms of their presumed cognitive function stack on almost all of the MBTI based personality websites. INTPs are described in terms of introverted thinking being the dominant function. INFPs of course are described in terms of introverted feeling being the dominant function. I am NEITHER. I am strongly a dominant intuitive. My cognitive functions, on multiple tests and multiple occasions, show that I am highest in both introverted and extroverted intuition. Fi and Ti follow this, but either one can be stronger than the other depending on how the questions are phrased and on my mood. Then it gets even more variable with Fe, Si, and Te. Extroverted sensing is clearly at the bottom. And when under stress, I definitely behave like a dominant Ni with inferior Se.

According to my cognitive function profile, I should be either INTJ or INFJ, since it is supposedly impossible to be an introverted perceiver with dominant intuition. Maybe that means I am really unbalanced, but introverted perceiver with dominant intuition is exactly what fits. I am also unconvinced that Ni and Ne are separate functions. I have read that it is common for a dominant intuitive to score high in both Ni and Ne, which is definitely true for me. It seems to me that the degree of introversion and extroversion of the dominant function depends on how strong the overall I / E preference is, especially if N is dominant. But even if I were to conclude that INTJ or INFJ fits better and that the P tendencies are an artifact from having ADD, it still does not account for being strong in both Ni and Ne. Nor do the INTJ / INFJ type descriptions fit me well.

The message that I take from looking at all of this is that I am weak in extroverted sensing and should probably work on paying more attention to my surroundings. Not that I did not already know that, but it makes it clearer. Thinking and feeling are very close to being equal. I can easily get lost in either mode - I can spend days mulling over a complex problem and fail to notice anything else. I can also wallow in my feelings and have a hard time focusing on logic. I might fail to notice what is going on around me, and that includes being sensitive to the needs of other people. But when I do notice, I can be very perceptive and am quite good at “getting inside their heads” and feeling what they feel. I believe that I was a little bit stronger on the irrational feeling side when I was younger, but have been more logical as I have gotten older and hopefully wiser, but it still goes in spells with one or the other being stronger at different times and under different circumstances.

I do not currently believe that thinking and feeling are mutually exclusive or in opposition to one another unless one is clearly dominant and the other is weak. Some of the descriptions and tests of “thinking” vs “feeling” are annoyingly simplistic, and only portray the extremes of either. Like this “description”. My own comments are in italics.
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-p...or-feeling.htm

Thinking (T)

When I make a decision, I like to find the basic truth or principle to be applied, regardless of the specific situation involved. I like to analyze pros and cons, and then be consistent and logical in deciding. I try to be impersonal, so I won't let my personal wishes--or other people's wishes--influence me. Yes, to the first 2 sentences. I love to analyze and dissect and understand things. I love knowledge for the sake of knowledge, and I have a wide variety of intellectual interests. But when it comes to decisions, I consider personal wishes and values to be a huge part of the decision making process, especially if it is a decision that affects someone else. The human factor usually trumps cold logic in making a decision for someone else, but I may also point out for them the logical consequences of their choices.

The following statements generally apply to me:

1. I enjoy technical and scientific fields where logic is important. YES!

2. I notice inconsistencies. YES!

3. I look for logical explanations or solutions to most everything. YES!

4. I make decisions with my head and want to be fair. It depends... I can be brutal with myself, but I also have times when I can be pretty emotional. I definitely have a tendency to decide what I will need to do or become in order to accomplish a goal, and then I proceed to do it. It has been said about me that “if she decides to do something, get out of her way, because it is going to happen.” If I decide something has to be done, I can push through mercilessly like an automaton with no feelings until it is done. I know in myself that emotions are not to be trusted. But when it comes to those who are close to me, I value their emotional health far more than tangible things like money and academic success. I believe that I still take in all sides of the issue and try to make decisions for them based on what is best for everyone on all levels, but in comparison to my xSTJ husband, I take their emotions into consideration far more than practical issues. I am also likely to go easier on people in general if I can relate to their circumstances empathetically. But I have a “once burned, twice shy” mentality about my own emotions.

5. I believe telling the truth is more important than being tactful. No. I believe in being honest but tactful, even if it means keeping my mouth shut – say it tactfully or not at all.

6. Sometimes I miss or don't value the "people" part of a situation. No I think I see this very well and consider it important.

7. I can be seen as too task-oriented, uncaring, or indifferent. Maybe when I am in a zone and concentrating heavily on an intellectual pursuit. But it is because I am in my own mind, not because I do not care or consider it valuable
Feeling (F)

I believe I can make the best decisions by weighing what people care about and the points-of-view of persons involved in a situation. I am concerned with values and what is the best for the people involved. I like to do whatever will establish or maintain harmony. In my relationships, I appear caring, warm, and tactful. I can be warm and caring at times, but I can also be distracted and irritable. And I do not believe in harmony at all costs. I am quite capable of making a tough decision if I believe it is the right thing to do

The following statements generally apply to me:

1. I have a people or communications orientation. Not really. I am terribly introverted and prone to getting lost in a project. Like learning computer code for fun. Or reading Wikipedia and PubMed articles for hours, jumping from one subject to the next.

2. I am concerned with harmony and nervous when it is missing. Depends on the situation. I hate it when my family is unhappy, especially if I caused it. But I am not overly concerned about the opinions of others in general.

3. I look for what is important to others and express concern for others. Sometimes, if I am focused on that. Mostly applies to my family and friends. I have the unfortunate habit of zoning out and not noticing other people’s needs.

4. I make decisions with my heart and want to be compassionate. Totally depends on the situation. I am more likely to be logical and harsh with myself, but more compassionate if making a decision for someone else.

5. I believe being tactful is more important than telling the "cold" truth. Yes

6. Sometimes I miss seeing or communicating the "hard truth" of situations. Usually do not miss seeing it, but I am likely to rephrase it as kindly as possible or say nothing.

7. I am sometimes experienced by others as too idealistic, mushy, or indirect. I don’t think anyone would call me mushy except maybe my kid. I am not really all that idealistic either… I can actually be pretty cynical. But I am definitely indirect sometimes.

And then there is this description, which I find utterly ridiculous and insulting to all of my strong Feeler friends.
http://elitedaily.com/dating/relatio...eeler/1290915/

Thinkers focus on the hard facts of the relationship; feelers focus on gut feelings.

• During the beginning of a relationship, thinkers will evaluate the hard facts. They look at their position and the current situation. They evaluate things like free time and current relationship status. (I believe I look at both. Feelings are important, but I will evaluate their validity with logical analysis)

• But feelers will go on gut feeling alone. Even if all the facts say this relationship should not happen, they will follow their gut and go after what they want. (Although feelers may struggle more with this, most of the ones I know do not just blindly follow their gut if there are big warning signs. Failure to evaluate whether it is safe to follow your feelings is just stupidity and / or immaturity.)

• If there wasn't at least one feeler, most secret relationships wouldn't happen. (Maybe. But most feelers do not engage in illicit relationships either. Thinkers might be less likely to get emotionally entangled, but probably are just as likely to cheat on a relationship just for fun if they think they can get away with it)

• Thinkers pick up on external signals that something is wrong; feelers pick up on their partners’ signals. (Maybe true in general. For me it involves both. It may start with the gut feeling that something is wrong which leads me to logically analyze and look for solid evidence. Or if I am particularly absorbed in something intellectual, I may be blindsided with a problem which leads me to evaluate what is really wrong underneath the surface)

• Thinkers go through your Facebook, but feelers look at the changes in your face. Thinkers only notice something is wrong in the relationship when they see definitive proof, like if they watch you flirting or see something sketchy on your phone. (How about both? If I get a gut feeling that something is wrong, it will lead me to logically analyze and look for solid evidence)

• Feelers, however, will know something is wrong before any definitive proof is found. In every healthy relationship, you only want one snoop. (How about both? It starts with the gut feeling that something is wrong which leads me to logically analyze and look for solid evidence)

• Thinkers try to solve problems with solutions and ideas; feelers follow their feelings.
This statement is insulting to all feelers.

I am pretty logical, and things need to make sense, but I also have to feel good about the solutions. If I evaluate something logically and determine that my feelings are truly getting in the way of success, I am capable of putting them aside, although it will stress me out to do so and I may second guess myself a few times. I am also capable of deciding that the logical benefit to a solution is not great enough to justify the psychological pain that it will cause. I am even more likely to be worried about the impact on others… I would not be happy with a solution that is logically good for me but hurts someone else emotionally. Unless that person is an asshole and deserves it!

• Thinkers try to find ways to fix problems in the relationship, whether it's with flowers, chocolates or excessive compliments. Feelers won’t try to fix anything until the weird feeling in the pit of their stomach goes away. Once again implies that feelers are incapable of working on anything, when I am of the opinion that they probably work harder on relationships than strong thinkers do. Personally, I will start out with the weird feeling, but will eventually pull it together and start looking for solutions. I am unlikely to go overboard on anything unless it is withdrawal…

• That's why you always have one person sending flowers and the other always receiving them. I don't believe thinkers are all that big on flowers or chocolates or any type of romantic gesture. Feelers do that more. It does not really apply in my current relationship. I was the receiver in a former one, but that was because he was a manipulative asshole always trying to get himself out of trouble for major violations of trust.

• Thinkers see what's wrong first; feelers see what's right first. Really? Isn’t this the difference between positivity and negativity? I don’t really see this as a feeler – thinker issue. It seems more likely that feelers are going to pick up the subtle nuances of something being wrong, while thinkers will ignore things until it is obvious. At least in relationships.

• Every relationship goes through ups and downs. But if both people are looking at the negative, you may as well call it quits right then and there. True enough, but it seems to me that both types have the potential to be negative. Most of the relationship angst that I have witnessed has to do with feelers agonizing over their thinking partner’s insensitivity.

• When thinkers look at the bad, feelers still see the good. Feelers can still follow that gut feeling of why you two should still be together, which means your chances of making it are that much higher. I see feelers as being more likely to leave a relationship that is emotionally unsatisfying even if it is reasonably good from a practical viewpoint, and even if staying together is the logical thing to do for finances, children etc. Thinkers might be negative, but I see them as possibly more likely to stay in the relationship unless it is truly awful.

• Thinkers view conflict as a natural part of the relationship; feelers see it as a sign that something's wrong. I think feelers are more likely to be able to take an empathetic view of someone else’s opinions even if it isn’t something they would choose for themselves. I see thinkers as more likely to insist their way is right even at the expense of the relationship. A feeler is not likely to leave over disagreements, as long as they feel cared about and validated.

• Thinkers are all about working through the problems and coming up with a solution or settlement. Feelers, however, will see fights as a bigger deal than they need to be and won't be comfortable until harmony is established once again. (Probably depends on maturity level and introversion / extroversion as much or more than T/F. I see feelers as more compromising, but thinkers are just as likely to push an issue and accuse the feeler of being manipulative if they cry or withdraw)

• Thinkers confront conflicts with resolution, but feelers run away from them. See above

• Thinkers want to be in charge; feelers want to be liked. Really? I agree feelers care more about being liked, but wanting to be in charge sounds like extroverted thinkers or ISTJs. And extroverted feelers can be very controlling in their own way.

• Thinkers usually want to exert their dominance while feelers are fine accepting praise and being taken care of. Seriously condescending toward feelers IMHO. I don’t know anyone who just wants fake praise and to be taken care of. Feelers are usually taking care of other people!

• Thinkers will feel threatened if they are not the caretakers of the relationship while feelers will only feel threatened if they aren't getting the attention and love they need. Also very condescending toward feelers, who IMHO are more likely to be caretakers of the relationship than thinkers could ever be. Thinkers do not want to be caretakers of the relationship, they just want things their way, with you or without you.

• Thinkers want to understand why; feelers want to understand why them. Feelers probably are more likely to take it personally and feel like something is wrong with them

• When you break up, thinkers will want to know what happened. They will want a definitive answer as to why the relationship didn't work out. Was it someone else? Was the sex not good? I suspect that strong thinkers are more likely to say “screw you” and move on. Feelers will cry for a few months first.

• Feelers will ask what's wrong with them. They will want to know exactly what they did to turn you off from them. It's never about what's wrong with the relationship, but what's wrong with them. Which type is it that will never allow themselves to be the one left behind, but will leave first if they know it really isn’t working? Because that would be me… but I won’t do it easily and I will cry about it if I do…

• Thinkers will look for the truth; Feelers will look for what makes them feel better. Once again makes it sound like all feelers are emotional idiots. Only an idiot wants to feel good about something that isn’t true.

• Thinkers are not just upfront and honest everyone else, but with themselves. I strive to be brutally honest with myself. But I try to be tactful with others and deliver truth gently. I believe that feelers are MORE likely than thinkers to be in touch with their own emotions and motivations, especially introverted feelers. Thinkers are more likely to try to make their emotions fit into logical arguments even if it isn’t entirely logical, and be unable to recognize the emotional influence behind their decisions.

• If something is wrong, they will either fix it or assume the blame. Feelers, on the other hand, don’t want to always hear the truth. They'd rather be let down easy and told what they want to hear. I definitely relate to T on this one, although I don’t believe it is a valid determinate of T or F preferences. I know several people who are much further to the feeling end of the continuum than I am, and I know very well that none of them want to be lied to just to make themselves feel better. Quite the opposite… feelers want their relationships to be truly meaningful and emotionally connected, while thinkers are more likely to be satisfied in a relationship that is pragmatically satisfactory.

I have hereby concluded that I do not fit neatly into ANY of the MBTI boxes, and am best described as in INxP. Nonetheless I will admit that I have some lingering curiosity about what an MBTI “expert” would say about it!

Show more