2014-04-07

Hi everyone,

So for the first time in my life I'm finally coming around to the idea that I shouldn't be buying a new daily driver solely on driving enjoyment alone, and it's time that I buy something reliable with good fuel economy that chances are will give me little to no hassle driving to work or on a long distance trip.

I'm finally of the income bracket now where I can afford to buy something new (or nearly) within the $20K range without braking the bank. I'm also wise enough to know that as much fun as a new STi, etc would be, it would just be a bad decision right now. I won't put myself in a car I can't outright afford.

In that past I’ve routinely bought cars in the 70K to 100K mileage range and by the time you pay them off they are going to hell. Every other time I've bought a car in the past I've started off the search with a budget in mind and a list of cars that would be "sensible and practical" for me to own and when I started actually comparing that dollar figure to what's out there on the market in the price range I've naturally gravitated from something responsible like a Ford Focus to "give me something with a V6 or a turbo and a manual trans". Truthfully, buying a Prius would be as hard to convince myself to do as a Corvette would be for a Prius owner. It would be willing myself to drive something I just didn't want.

Well now I've got a dedicated project car (an 84 VW GTI) and that means I can funnel all of my energy into building that instead of wanting to mod my daily driver. It will help me adhere to the mantra "Don't **** where you eat" and leave the car that gets me to work alone.

So where in the past if I didn't have that in the garage I'd start gravitating into a daily driven "fun car" like a newer GTI, and STI, an Evo, a Mini Cooper S, or an older Audi or BMW, etc I can will myself to stay away from that path this time. So as much as I hate the idea of driving a "Soulless Appliance", it's time.

So what can you guys recommend for "Soulless Appliance Cars"?

Here's my basic criteria:

Budget: $20K tops

Wants:

Reliability. Yes even at the expense of “fun”.

Fuel Economy of 35 mpg or better. If I’m going to buy something I don’t find fun driving it better damn well be great on gas.

“Passing Capable” Acceleration. I need enough power to pass a semi while that F350 is on my ***.

30K - 60K miles tops. I’m willing to stretch my budget a bit further by buying a used car and I can live without a warranty but I don't want to top out my budget on something that is already on the decline. If I’m going to spend that much I want it to last.

Decent Interior Quality. I realize that "Economy Car" usually implies budget materials, lower grade plastics, and no frills interior design. I can live with that to a certain degree but I'd prefer something that's decent and will hold up. So if there's a car that stands out for interior quality I'm all ears.

Needs:

[*]Driving Comfort. I’m 6’1” and on the heavier side. I don’t want to be squashed into the car when it comes to leg room sight lines, etc. So a Sonic, etc sized vehicle is probably out.[/list]

Would Like But Can Live Without:

AWD

Manual Trans

Larger Cargo Space (i.e. 4 door hatch size or wagon)

Aux Audio inputs, bluetooth, etc.

Dislikes:

[*]Puny Little Effeminate Cars - Yes I'm not buying a car that will make me "look cool" but if I think it’s down right “dorky looking” or “Ugly” I’m going to have a hard time willing myself to buy it. That voice in the back of my head is going to start saying “Hey guy, look at that used 328i across the lot…”[/list]

What’s Out Already:

Crossover SUVs: I don’t like SUVs at all, even though it would fit my cargo hauling criteria. I’m pretty unlikely to end up with one.

Trucks: I’d love a truck, but it’s not practical for my price range or needs.

Hybrids: I have no intent to become a “hyper miler” and I don’t want to pay the premium for a Hybrid either.

What’s already on my radar:

’10 and up VW TDI Sportwagen – Diesel, cargo room, the next upgrade from the 02 Jetta Wagon I own now

Forester or Outback – No I’m not a carpet munching Lesbian but they are AWD and wagons

Legacy – again, AWD, wagon option as well

Honda Fit

Honda Civic

Camry – Even though it would pain me to do this

’12 up Mazda 3 w/ Skyactiv

Chevy Cruze Eco – Sounds good on paper 1.4T, 6 spd MT

Ford Focus

So what recommendations do you have?

Cars you own or have drove that fit my criteria?

Things I haven’t considered yet like a Kia, Hyundai, etc?

Show more